IES Abroad- Dublin City Uni., Trinity, The National Theatre School

IES Abroad- Dublin City Uni., Trinity, The National Theatre School

You won’t need the luck of the Irish to have an unforgettable study abroad experience in Dublin. By directly enrolling at Dublin City University (DCU), Trinity College Dublin, or The National Theatre School of Ireland (Gaiety School of Acting), you’ll have the joy of befriending the Irish, who are known for their hospitality. You’ll feel more at home knowing that Dublin has a young population (more than half of the city is under 25).

Dublin rewards the independent spirit with a diverse culture and a wide range of educational opportunities.

Our partner universities offer a wide variety of challenging courses. These programs appeal primarily to those students who are ready for the challenge of adapting to an entirely new academic culture that requires significant independent work.

Check out this Center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at http://www.youvisit.com/tour/iesabroad.

Europe » Ireland » Dublin

Monica
Ithaca, NY
Ithaca College

My Time in Dublin

Studying abroad was one of the greatest experiences I have had so far in my life. Studying abroad and travelling by myself to a new country really taught me about responsibility and independence, much more so than moving to another state for college did. I also solo traveled to other countries during my study abroad experience for the first time and I learned a lot about myself, became more comfortable with myself, and gained a lot more confidence. The classes I took as a part of the IES Dublin Writer's Program were also incredible. I loved getting more insight into Irish history and culture through classes, whether it be through literature or discussions about the Irish professional culture. Many of my classmates and friends, as well, during my stay in Ireland are still some of my closest friends to this day and we continue to stay in touch despite attending different colleges around the US. I also made many Irish friends outside of the program through travel, my internship, and religious services, many of whom I am still in contact with and am still close with today.

These are very small critiques, but the beds in our student apartments were very uncomfortable and the laundry at the apartments broke down a few times. Also the walk to IES from the apartments was a bit far, around 40 to 45 minutes. I personally didn't mind the walk, but at times it would have been nice for it to be shorter.

Catherine
Farmingdale
George Washington University

Time of my Life at Trinity College Dublin

Where to begin?! I was lucky enough to study abroad as a Directly Enrolled student at Trinity College Dublin through IES. I was in the amazing city of Dublin from early January until late May, and I can confidently say that it has been the greatest experience of my life thus far.
Because I was directly enrolled at Trinity College, IES was less involved in my day to day life. They organized my housing, and coordinated my enrollment with Trinity, meaning that I just had to show up! IES met me at the airport, and had an RA waiting at my apartment to meet me when I arrived. Though our housing had some hiccups (heating and plumbing issues) IES was VERY responsive in getting things sorted. These issues were beyond anyone's control, but the Director and staff were very helpful, and apologetic for any inconveniences.

In terms of academics, IES explained how we would register for classes, and offered support throughout the semester. As I said, because we were directly enrolled, IES played a smaller part here. Trinity itself was a bit tricky, and takes a bit of getting used to, but overall it was an incredible experience. You are in courses (modules) with Irish students, and you are learning from Irish professors, so the atmosphere is amazing.

Though our classes were not through IES, we were ALWAYS welcome to study in the IES Center, to print from their computers, or to just drop by for a chat. They planned trips for us, and had coffee meet ups during the semester to make sure everyone was settling in ok.

If I could go back and do it again, I would in a heartbeat. Dublin happens to be the hub for most RyanAir flights, meaning that cheap flights were super accessible (and encouraged!). I made friends that will last me a lifetime, and I strongly suggest that you spend your semester abroad in Dublin.

My housing was a bit far from the city center, and the apartment had some issues. I found housing to be the only negative about my time there, and even so, the problems were easily managed.

Laura
Holland, Michigan
Hope College

Living in Dublin

I was immensely glad I chose to travel to Dublin through IES. The IES coordinated field trips to Northern Ireland and Causey Farm were some of the best experiences I had while I was abroad. Causey Farm was particularly interesting because I talked to a friend from Dublin, and she said she remembered the same trip from primary school! It was awesome to know that we were experiencing the same thing as those who lived in Ireland.
In addition, I was in Paris for travel at the time of the Paris Terror attacks, and I was exceptionally glad to know that IES was watching over me. I recieved a call from the Chicago center and from the staff at the Dublin center within an hour of the beginning of the attacks, ensuring my safety and ready to give advice should I need it. I really appreciated the prompt response and the knowledge that someone knew where I was and was watching out for me.
Trinity College was an amazing experience as well. I loved being directly enrolled, and joining societies was a great way to meet people and engage with the local culture. The academics were an adjustment, as any different system will be, and overall the experience was one of immense value.

The constant RA contact was irritating because we never had a set time; she tried to communicate a new time every week, which never worked out for everyone's schedules.

D
Los Angeles
Occidental College

Irish Immersion

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience in Dublin, Ireland! With a gracious culture reflected in cozy pubs and gentle parks, Dublin became my ideal city; the people are warm and inviting, the cityscape is walk-able and historic, and the coast is remarkably serene. With my student apartment so close the city center, I managed to start most mornings walking through the verdant paths of St. Steven’s Green.
Because of how accessible Dublin and the surrounding countryside is, I felt very connected to the cultural and recreational opportunities that Ireland has to offer; I woke up each morning with a great sense of excitement and delight in pursuing all of the pubs, museums, plays, hikes (Wicklow Mountains!), and historical sights that were within easy reach.
My favorite part about the experience, however, was being directly enrolled into Trinity College and enjoying all of the academic (like the Book of Kells!) and social resources provided by the campus. The program allowed me to immerse myself in the student life at Trinity and befriend not only Irish students, but also international students from various continents studying at the historic college center. Societies, for me, ranging from volunteer to athletic and niche areas in between (Juggling!) were the most rewarding ways to get involved and experience Dublin through unique perspectives; rock climbing around Ireland with the Climbing Club and participating in various tastings and workshops with the Food and Drink Society offered fun opportunities to not necessarily tour around, but rather live in Dublin as a local student.
My IES Abroad Direct Enrollment experience, overall, was infused with positive memories of feeling integrated into the city and social life of Dublin!

Grainne
Ithaca, NY
Ithaca College

A New Home

Dublin truly became a second home to me and it really didn't even take that long for me to feel comfortable there. A huge part of this was the amazing staff at IES Abroad Dublin. I cannot say enough times how amazing these people all were. Dublin itself is incredible as well and being able to directly enroll in a university and thus directly immerse myself in Dublin city life was so important towards my comfort in the city. I would suggest direct enrollment to everyone who goes abroad because I think it truly enriched my experience due to the fact that I could meet Irish students and become friends with them as well as have Irish professors. It made my education in Ireland that much better. The trips and activities organized by IES were also incredible. I met so many wonderful people through the programs and learned about the history of Ireland by actually seeing the sites. I truly hope I can return one day.

The plumbing could have been better in the flat we had but otherwise i really have no complaints. It was as close to perfect as humanly possible.

Alison
Mechanicsburg, PA
George Washington University

Studying at Trinity College Dublin with IES Abroad

My semester abroad in Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College Dublin was an invaluable experience, filled with wonderful people, extraordinary places, and vital life lessons. With the help of the staff at IES Abroad Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, and the friends that I made, Dublin became like home to me. The staff was always willing to help with any issues I had and share a conversation over a cup of tea.

As a student directly enrolled in Trinity College Dublin, I was able to join clubs and societies on campus, which helped me get involved and make new friends. I joined the Club Swim Team, and we went to Galway for a weekend for a gala (swim meet)! Additionally, I was able to take classes related to my major, Speech and Hearing Science, which gave me the ability to see my field of study in a different perspective. I was able to build relationships with professors and students from all over the world who are teaching and studying similar subjects. It was very beneficial and has given me the courage and confidence to explore postgraduate and professional opportunities abroad.

I would encourage more communication between the IES Staff and students throughout the entire semester. I feel like I only started to get to really know them towards the end of my time in Ireland, which is really unfortunate.

Michaela
Rochester, Minnesota

New Country, New Home: a Semester at Trinity College

When I decided I wanted to study abroad, I knew that I wanted to do more than study. IES's direct enrollment program was great because I was guaranteed to fulfill both my academic requirements and my wish to travel. My main concerns while planning my semester were not where I was going to live or when to book my flights, but rather what I wanted to see and what I wanted to do.
Living and studying in Dublin was wonderful. The college, while it may be a bit behind the times administratively, has world class professors who love their subjects. Class attendance and homework are more optional than in the States, but the library has every book you could possibly find useful for the final papers. The Trinity campus is picture perfect (just ask the line of tourists) and the adjacent Grafton Street provides street entertainers who are a great study break.
But living in Dublin doesn't mean that you're confined to city life. Within a thirty minute commuter train ride are two coastal walking paths, several charming seaside towns, and a castle. On weekends or days when I didn't have homework, I tried to take the train to a different city every time.
Traveling outside of the Dublin to the rest of Ireland is a must. The island is stunning, with plunging cliffs, otherworldly woods, and peaceful mountains. IES offers trips to the north and west of Ireland that are well worth the price. With nice hotel rooms, local meals, and a bus that goes beyond where tourist buses normally go, the trips are a great way to see Ireland. Beyond Ireland, the discount airline Ryanair offers cheap flights (costing 5-15 pints of Guinness if you want a practical measure) to much of Europe. While traveling, I loved seeing as many different cultures as possible while I had the chance and was surprised at how much braver I became after navigating around a country in which I did not speak the language.
Now that I am back, I have no regrets about studying in Dublin. I am much more willing to try new things now and to find out what is going on in my community. Studying abroad forced me to seek out and try new experiences and I am not going to let that habit die. I am also more confident advocating for myself now. I have moved to a foreign country where I didn’t know anybody and know now that I am strong enough to make new friends and a new life, wherever I end up.

I would increase communication between staff and students. The IES staff were wonderful people and very willing to go out of their way to help you, but they were located a twenty five minute walk from campus. Having weekly emails or more regular breakfasts would help students better realize what a great resource IES is.

Caeli
Buffalo, NY

To Dublin…AND BEYOND!

Now that I am home and in my predominant comfort zone, I realize how thrilling it was to expand my levels of comfort to new maxima. I have never been one to lengthen my socio-cultural boundaries but after four months of creating a new path, this was an essential move for me.
After a semester in Dublin, Ireland, I am proud to call this bustling city my home. I made a connection to this city, my university, and the inhabitants of this beautiful locale. I had the privilege of being enrolled in the engineering school at Dublin City University (DCU), which is in a suburban area in northern Dublin. Trying to keep myself busy, I took part in the execution of DCU’s first ever Relay For Life, participated in Irish Dance lessons in the city, and played for the women’s rugby team at school. One of the best parts of my time abroad was getting to know my family from Ireland much better. I was able to take weekend trips to see them in their respective counties and enjoy some “grand” bonding time with my cousins. My roommates and I even indulged on trips outside of the country where we challenged ourselves with different languages, currencies, and food. Keeping myself busy was key as well as taking care of myself and making sure I had things from home to keep me company as well as a journal to keep my memories stored in. It finally became natural to think nothing of winging a day trip or a bus ride to the city to find our favorite foods, shops, and sights.
Coming home is when you realize how much study abroad affected you. My independence has skyrocketed and my ability to voice my thoughts has amplified to a healthy extent that I never thought I possessed. It was all in me the whole time – sometimes you need a little world exploration to uncover the true you.

I wish I could have lived with Irish students. My American roommates were fantastic, though! They were a piece of home that I definitely needed.

Julia
West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University

A Semester at Trinity College

When I decided to study abroad, I thought I knew what I was going to get out of being in a new culture. I wanted to learn more and learn from a different perspective. I gained far more than what I expected. I increased my confidence in my ability to adapt to new places as well as my confidence to navigate a new place by myself. I gained a greater appreciation of cultural differences and furthered my understanding of other cultures. Overall, studying abroad helped me grow in ways I didn't know I needed to.

Louis
Leo, Indiana
Purdue University

Dublin City University DCU

My time in Dublin, Ireland was an experience of a lifetime. I was never much for travel before but in the EU travel is so cheap. You could choose to buy a brand new outfit from a store or fly to another country. The culture in Ireland was also in some ways very similar, but then there were many of its differences. Food there is definitely a difference in quantity. You will learn to appreciate the grocery shopping centers that we have in America (Walmart). There are not many 1 stop shops, you must go to 2-3 different stores to get everything you may need from time to time. The culture in Ireland was also something that was very surprising. Everything from the morning life to the night life will take you by surprise. I will say the jet lag is something that will keep you groggy for the first 10-15 days. College was also a big change. School in America is a very strict attendance based classes and very reliant on weekly homework assignments. Classes are not attendance based, (pending on major) and the university is very big on large projects/papers to be written for weeks ahead. Plenty of time is given for the projects and everything else university wise is the students just constantly studying for finals at the end of the year.

----

Margaret
Cleveland, Ohio
Trinity College- Dublin

An amazing experience in an incredible place

Day to day life in Dublin involved catching up with friends at classes at Trinity, a university that is actually older than the United States, heading out for pints at night, and then waking up the next day to study or explore. Dublin has all of the perks of being a big city, with a small city vibe. There were nights when I actually ran into people I had met on other nights out, that's how small the city is. I usually walked everywhere, although there were buses, which I very rarely used. The night life had a super chill vibe, very casual unless you went to the clubs on Harcourt St., which are fun in their own right, but definitely not an every night experience. The academics at Trinity, while confusing to get registered for, were well worth the registration chaos. They were interesting and engaging (for the most part) and had Professors that were experts in their fields. The academic life was not as challenging as my school in the U.S., but wasn't easy. It left time to travel, which I did amply, as Ryanair, the budget airline, is based in Dublin, so travelling places was extremely cheap. All in all I had an absolutely incredible semester, and a lot of it was the program I was on. I had great experiences with all of the IES staff from the moment I applied to even the summer after I left.

I would give a little bit more guidance about the registration process at Trinity and make it clear from the get go that you can't register for classes until you get there.

Katelynn
Gaylord, Michigan
Dublin City University

DCU- Spring semester 2015

IES was very helpful in preparing me before my departure and answered every question I had. Upon arrival, the staff was supportive and really got to know each individual in our program and really personalized the experience. I stayed in an apartment complex that was a five minute walk from campus and I had my own room and bathroom which was very nice. One of my favorite parts of the IES program was going on the fieldtrips that were offered throughout the semester. We were able to visit all across Ireland with other IES students and even some of the IES staff. All in all, studying abroad at DCU was such a positive experience and I'm so happy I chose to go through IES.

Payton
Holland, MI

A Semester at Trinity College Dublin

Studying for a semester at Trinity College Dublin was an amazing, life changing experience. IES did a great job at preparing me before I arrived in Dublin. Adjusting to the city was an easy process, and through the help of IES I was able to navigate Trinity's confusing academic system. I am so happy I had the opportunity to spend a semester in Dublin and explore Ireland!

Not all apartments are in the same location of the city. Keep public transportation costs in mind when planning your semester abroad.

Crystal
Austin, Texas
University of Texas- Austin

Direct Enrollment in Trinity College

IES Dublin rocks! The staff is so nice and accommodating. The housing was great. Trinity is very cool, historic school with plenty to get involved with. The age of the school means some processes are inefficient. I made amazing friends in my group. We managed to immerse ourselves in the culture well. The Irish people are so welcoming and friendly so it's easy!

Jacqueline
Purchase, NY

Review for GSA

My semester studying at GSA was absolutely amazing! GSA has a wide variety of courses from stage combat to Irish theatre text and everything in between.The tutors are phenomenal. I learned so much during my time abroad. I miss it there so much! It was an great experience.

My housing was a little far away from my school in comparison to other student's housing within my program. I would have liked living a little closer. Other then that, I wouldn't change of thing about the experience.

Natalie
New York, New York
Fordham University

Study in Dublin

I went abroad with the hope of making new friends, Irish and American, and IES direct enrollment at Trinity provided the perfect environment for that. The housing IES placed us in was really impressive and comfortable with extremely sweet Resident Assistants. There were different excursions to go on around Ireland that helped build a close-knit community among us visiting students, and the staff that led the excursions were awesome and knowledgeable. I loved the informal and supportive interactions I always had with the IES Dublin staff. As for the academics, Trinity was the perfect school for me. My professors were enthusiastic and brilliant, and the direct enrollment allowed us to easily meet Irish students and make some friends along the way. The rain took some getting used to, but I think most of us embraced it after a few weeks. Dublin a beautiful city but not in the way that places like Paris or Florence are, most of the richness is within the people and the culture--seek it out!

Caley
Chicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago

Craic and Banter

I was a student at Trinity for the 2014 Hilary Term, and I was really impressed by the housing IES secured for my peers and me. Not only was it spacious enough to comfortably house four, it was also only a 5 minute walk to campus. The program leaders made sure to check in with us on a regular basis and our RAs made sure to plan fun and authentic outings for us at least once a month (my favorite was going to see a Gaelic Football match at Croke Park). Trinity has a strong academic program that is largely pushed by student initiative (my department, Theology, did not have continuous assessment like its American counterpart), which I appreciated because it allowed me the freedom to work homework around my travel schedule. Also, because I was directly enrolled in the college, I had the opportunity to make a lot of Irish friends, which was my favorite part of my time abroad.

Therese
Trinity College- Dublin

Trinity College Dublin, direct enrollment program

After a good amount of consideration, I decided to apply in the fall of my third year of college for a semester in Ireland. I chose IES because of their direct enrollment program at Trinity College Dublin, and am so glad that I did! Trinity is famous for its academic excellence and history, both of which were important to me. I wanted to really make the most of my time abroad, adding to my academic credentials as well as having the time of my life. IES made this possible, placing me in convenient and comfortable housing, introducing all of the program members to one another, and helping us adjust to life and class-work in a new country. Between the IES staff and the program-members, we formed a close-knit, supportive, and adventurous community. We were all encouraged to take full advantage of this adventure, travelling all over the country, including on program-run field trips, and learning about all of the exciting opportunities available in Dublin itself. I fell in love with that city, and with all of Ireland, and really have to thank IES for making my study abroad experience so wonderful.

Hannah
Rochester, New York

TCD Full Year

As a full year, direct enrollment student at TCD I was put into college housing with other international students. I lived in Rathmines, about fifteen minutes walking distance away from the IES centre, so it was always nearby if I need it, although I only went there a couple of times toward the end of the year. Most of my experience abroad was independent of IES' programming; since I was the only full year, I wasn't as involved with the center as the people who had orientation there. When I did need help, the staff there were great.

Classes at Trinity are very different to classes in America, most of all in terms of grading. It was uncomfortable to adjust to the concept of one assignment determining your entire grade for a course, but it did change the way I approached coursework. The professors at Trinity were amazing and I enjoyed all the courses I took there.

Living in Dublin was incredible; it has all the charms of a historic town and all the perks of a big city. The major difficulty with living there was in the general cost of everything. The exchange rate from the dollar to the euro is bad for the dollar, and Dublin is expensive on top of that. Budgeting is important for living there, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I would have liked to have been informed about how many of the humanities and social sciences rely on only one assignment to grade for a course. I wasn't aware of that going into it, and it was a pretty nasty shock.

Jeanette
Chicago, IL
University of Illinois- Chicago

Absolutely Recommend IES

From the beginning, at the airport, the IES staff was available and helpful. Prior to leaving, they gave a very detailed online orientation to get you the basics of Ireland and how life would be there. Housing was very nice - I was in the DCU program, and we each had our own room with an in-suite bathroom, within a 5 minute walk to campus. From the Trinity students, they live in very nice houses, but share rooms for the most part. The academics are very different from the US academic programs, but they are very clear as to what they expect, and the program will give you plenty of time to travel around both Ireland and Europe. The social life was great, and hand-in-hand, so was the safety. I was never uncomfortable walking back to my apartment at night, as a woman. The IES staff was incredible with organizing dinners for the group and outings to experience Ireland more thoroughly. Additionally, they were always there in case of emergency, and gave great advice. Overall, the experience was fantastic, and I believe that choosing to go with IES helped me fall in love Ireland even more so. I cannot wait to go back, and I cannot stop recommending IES and DCU to other students.

IES Abroad offers 120+ programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to