IES Abroad Dublin Summer - Intensive Acting

The IES Abroad Summer Intensive Acting Program gives you an intensive, practical approach to performance.

Over the course of the summer, you will come to know Dublin's winding streets and unique charm through a variety of culturally enriching opportunities. The program offers enrollment at the acclaimed National Theatre School of Ireland (Gaiety School of Acting), housing in fully-equipped student apartments, and field trips throughout Ireland.

Check out this Center for yourself by taking a Virtual Tour at http://www.youvisit.com/tour/iesabroad.

Meriwether

Intensive Acting is right-- but it's so much more!

The IES Summer Intensive Acting program in Dublin was jam packed with a variety of cultural experiences and a strong academic program.

After my first class, which was directly through IES, we enrolled in the Gaiety School of Acting with students who had directly enrolled, not through IES, and I got a comparison and realized how good we had by going through IES. We got well planned, affordable, educational, and fun field trips (the one to Northern Ireland is a must! Learned so much about Ireland's history including the Troubles and St. Patrick, and visited the Bushmill Whiskey factory and Game of Throne's Winterfell) that were easy to sign up and conveniently added to our bill, not paid upfront. We got great housing in beautiful neighborhoods despite Dublin's housing crisis, while the GSA direct-enrolled students had to stay in an unfortunately low quality hostel, 6 to a room, for the entire 4 weeks. I will say, the distance of our housing from the IES center and the GSA was inconvenient, and we had some maintenance issues that took longer than I'd like to get fixed, but our RA was a great resource. We had Conor, who's actually a jobbing actor, so a great role model-- watch out for him in the Jameson factory tour video!

The classes themselves were very educational, and I really enjoyed experiencing and working with so much Irish theatre. While technique and methods weren't overly emphasized, the intense rehearsals and constant viewing of theater outside of class was a great experience. I was able to get credit for an acting class through my university!

Heather

Best Acting Program in the Best Theatre Town

Put bluntly, the IES direct enrollment program to the Gaiety School of Acting is the single best theatre program for an acting student who is also looking for foreign culture immersion. Gaiety puts you directly into their class of first years, creating an ensemble-focused curriculum that allows you to make lifelong friends with native Irish students. This gave me the opportunity to see Dublin through their eyes and experiences, giving me a whole new appreciation and love for my temporary home.
Dublin is the best city for theatre-lovers I've ever visited. You can see shows at the historic Abbey Theatre, learn about the rich tradition of Irish theatre while at Gaiety, and see and read the work of some of the best playwrights like Sean O'Casey, Marina Carr, and Conor McPherson. The best part is that you can see the vast majority of the best theatre in town for about 15 euro a seat (a far cry from the billion dollars you need to pay to see Hamilton this summer).
At Gaiety, you will take about thirteen classes, with some being just an hour and half a week while the more crucial ones are about 11 hours a week. These are everything from traditional conservatory classes like Acting, Voice, and Movement, to special skill classes like Singing, Mime, and Stage Combat. However, the greatest class Gaiety offers is Manifesto. In this class, every student gets to create short pieces of theatre, through which actors find their purpose in the field, what story the want to tell, and how they like to tell it. For example, through my four pieces I created, I found out that I enjoy doing stylized, minimalist pieces with a lot of audience interaction.
My experience in Dublin was so wonderful that I'm already looking forward to going back. And when I do, I will have great friends in my classmates, tutors, and even IES employees who I can't wait to see again. There's no other program like Gaiety out there. If you're gonna go abroad, go here.

If one thing would be changed, it would be a couple of the minor classes in the program that I didn't find super helpful. But everyone is different and some of my classmates enjoyed the same classes that I didn't.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...