CIEE Summer Irish Studies in Dublin, Ireland

Spend your summer in the home of Shaw, Swift, Joyce, Lewis and Yates, writing your own story of international discovery.

Through coursework, cultural activities, and excursions, CIEE summer study abroad in Ireland introduces you to the breadth and depth of Irish culture to offer you an unforgettable international experience.

In Dublin you will:

- Gain an in-depth look at Irish culture through coursework and cultural excursions

- Live at Dublin City University, with its compact high-tech campus, University clubs, sports facilities, and close proximity to the center of Dublin

- Participate in one or two three-week sessions

- Join CIEE and partake in cultural activities, such as visits to museums, cathedrals, galleries, and historic sites; day trips to Dublin Castle, the Hill of Tara, and Newgrange; and a field trip to western Ireland (Session I) and Northern Ireland (Session II)

Pujan

Journey of a Lifetime

Spending my time abroad has been a dream of mine ever since starting college. Due to certain circumstances, I was not able to go during any school semester, but stumbled upon this opportunity from CIEE to spend my summer in Dublin, Ireland. I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 months there to really be immersed in a different culture and learn more about myself and the people around me. It was for sure one of the best summers that I will never forget. From all the people I met, places I visited, and memories I made.

Slightly better accommodations and more on-time interaction from the staff when it comes to certain logistics would be a good way to improve!
Nicholas

Great Craic in Dublin

This trip was great craic (an Irish slang term for fun)! Not only did we get to become a part of the beautiful city of Dublin, but we also as a group got to take a secondary trip to Ireland's medieval capital of Kilkenny, which was probably my favorite part! Kilkenny was just a super cool little town, with a beautiful castle and incredible nightlife. While in Dublin, I was studying the Shaping of Modern Ireland, which was a history class outlining Ireland from 1800 up through 1949. Dublin City University was a nice school that was just far enough outside of the city center, and I had a great professor who cared deeply about the topic and made sure that the class was understanding him. This class was great for me, as I finally got to learn the history of my Irish ancestors and about the land that they came from. Outside of the classroom, Dublin was an incredible city to call home for a month. The beautiful churches were probably my favorite thing to explore. That and the pubs of course! I cannot recommend this study abroad experience enough; if you have any desire to learn anything about Ireland, you have to do it!
For me, one of the reasons this trip was so great was that I really was able to get in touch with my Irish roots; I got to visit the same churches my ancestors went to, I learned about their experiences and how they lived back then, and I was able to explore the city that they called home! I feel that it also really helped with my world outlook, because although Ireland is very similar to the United States, it is simultaneously completely different. It was super convenient for me that there was no language barrier to overcome here, but there were still a few cultural differences, which I found to be more fun than annoying.
While here, I would highly recommend trying to take in as much of the local culture as possible, especially the sports! Before coming here, I had no clue what Hurling or Gaelic Football were, but I can say that going to those matches were some of the most fun that I had while on this trip!
As I stated earlier, I cannot recommend this trip enough! Dublin is a fantastic city, and I cannot wait to come back in the future!

My only recommendation for improvement would be improving the housing situation. There were certain aspects of it that were great, such as the private bedrooms and bathrooms, but I feel that the place where we stayed was not managed very well, and there were frequent miscommunications between the program staff and the managers of the apartment complex. And the laundry room was incredibly small; there were only three washing machines and dryers to serve the entire complex.
Cliffs of Moher
Adriana

Gaelic Football is an Experience, Y'All

Let me preface this with: I love Ireland. This review is 100% biased because, I am, totally, unequivocally, in love with the Emerald Isle.

I am also not a person who took the decision to study abroad lightly. As a disabled, solo-traveler, I needed a program that was both accommodating and allowed students their independence. CIEE Dublin was the perfect fit, whenever I needed a program director (love ya, Martin & Meriah!) they were always accessible. I planned solo trips out of the country, and there was no overbearing mothering. The balance was careful and considerate, and I had a truly amazing summer because of it.

The social scene on the program was amazing during my session, everyone was super friendly and we all planned outings (like weekend trips to the Cliffs of Moher) together. I will say, I am, personally, a fan of trying to make friends with "natives" (that feels weird to say...), but the other students on my program were pretty great (not as clique-y as I was expecting, honestly!) and so was the professor! Everyone became like a family for those 4 weeks, and will probably make any future study abroad programs feel lackluster.

Overall, if you want a program where you can be sure you aren't completely navigating academia in a foreign country alone, but want to have real independence, you should seriously consider this program. Oh, and um, make sure you have a steady supply of American Tylenol before going to Dicey's.

Not going to lie, the dorm's aren't the best. I mean, I didn't spend thaaaat much time in my room but I came back so many nights to leaking showers that had been running all day. They aren't the worst, though, they're huge compared to dorms at my school in America, and they're right on the bus lines.
Pauline

CIEE Dublin Summer Irish Studies Review 2017

The opportunity to study in Dublin was amazing. I met some of my best friends on the trip. Future participants should know to print their acceptance letter when going through customs. Post program I am inspired to work abroad and explore new perspectives. It would be useful to carry a money belt. Something to be aware about is that locals and foreigners are less likely to be politically correct. I still keep in touch with the friends that I made on the trip.

About CIEE

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and...