CISabroad - Semester in Florence

CISabroad - Semester in Florence

We always have promotions running to save you money. Visit our website for more information.

Florence, or Firenze, is an amazing location for art-lovers, food-lovers, nature-lovers, and generally, Italy-lovers! Study at the Florence University of the Arts with CISaborad and participate in experiential learning that incorporates personal field experiences into the learning and academic process. Courses are offered in a variety of subjects including fun electives like Introduction to Photography!

Explore the unique and diverse Italian culture or even travel other popular European destinations! Everything is just a plane, train, or bus away. You may choose to stay where you are, however, as Florence alone contains a number of world-renowned artistic masterpieces, influences that have been preserved within the hearty street art culture.

Europe » Italy » Florence
Europe » Italy
Liberal Arts
Visual Arts
Florence

Samantha
Lancaster, PA

Experience of a life-time

Studying abroad was a wonderful experience. I was fully immersed into the Italian culture. I also had the opportunity to travel all over Europe. The CIS staff were welcoming and resourceful. Traveling around Europe was easy and affordable. Taking classes at Florence University of the Arts was a great experience. The professors understood that we all came from various educational backgrounds. I was able to meet many new people in my classes and form new friendships. The apartment I lived in had a wonderful of the Duomo and Tuscan hills. Wandering around Florence and finding hidden places was my favorite thing to do. The Italian cuisine was absolutely amazing.

I wish CIS would have more pre-planned traveling experience on the weekends to various countries.

Kristin
Brighton, Michigan
Grand Valley State University

LOVED FLORENCE!

Studying abroad in Florence, Italy through CISabroad was the best experience of my life. I recommend studying abroad to anyone! CIS was very organized and made the whole process a lot smoother. I loved the food, wine, friends, atmosphere, and so much more about Florence. :)

Patrick
Canton, MA
Quinnipiac University

Experience of a lifetime

I studied abroad in Florence Fall 2014 through CIS Abroad. I was very anxious going into the process because there was so much to be done. I had two advisors, Rachel and Ashley, who were the representatives for my school in Connecticut, and they were so unbelievably helpful with everything; I couldn't even believe how easy they made the process. They walked us through the application process, course selection, visa applications, and they even booked our round trip flights, all costs included. When we got to Florence, we had transportation from the airport that brought us right to our apartments. The costs of our textbooks, programs/events through the study abroad school, and day trips in Italy were ALL covered by CIS which was such a pleasant surprise. Our advisors and representatives were always checking in with us to make sure that we were having the best possible study abroad experience. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I am so glad I did it through CIS Abroad!

Alison
Boston
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Best Semester of my Life

CISabroad made this the best semester of my life. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering study abroad. Florence was small enough to make you feel safe but big enough to have all of the opportunities you could want.

This program really is perfect!

Palmer
Brooklyn, New York

Firenze, Italia!

I would recommend studying abroad to everyone, and I do. It is the most amazing experience to get out of your comfort zone and see the world. I don't know if it matters where you go, either way it will be an amazing time. Choose somewhere you've always wanted to go. And just do it. I met some of the most interesting, kind, and fun people on my trip. I also traveled to other countries once I finished studying because it is much cheaper to travel throughout Europe once you're already there!

CisAbroad has field trips that are included in the program. It would have been much better if we were able to choose to go on the field trip or get our money back. It would have been nice to choose where I wanted to visit and not worry about losing money! They are educational field trips to cool places, but not my thing.

Caitlin
Mullica Hill, NJ

Vita a Firenze

Living in Florence for a semester was the experience of a lifetime! I went not knowing a soul and left with life long friends. When arriving, you feel as if you have stepped back into time. The buildings and streets are so antique but still absolutely breathe-taking. Despite it's beauty, it is still a city where you have to be aware of your surroundings (just like any other big city). After getting used to where everything was within Florence, I felt so safe! FUA was really awesome, I loved my professors and learned a lot from my classes. The staff was super helpful and planned a lot of really fun activities for students. A couple of my favorite things about Florence were the markets and the Duomo. I lived close to the Sant. Ambrogio market (off of Via De Macci) and I loved going and buying fresh produce, breads, and cheeses. One stand had this amazing gorgonzola spread and the man would always give my friend and I samples! The Duomo Cathedral is absolutely stunning. I would walk past it on my way to classes. Each day I would stop and look at it and just take it all in. That is one of my fondest memory of Florence, even if it's so simple. While in Italy, I took a cooking class at FUA and learned to cook a bunch of Italian meals, which was so awesome.There are so many wonderful memories I could share, but that would take all day to read! The only thing negative I had about my experience was housing at FUA wasn't always super helpful. They were nice, but if you need assistance with something, you must be persistent. Other than that, it was absolutely wonderful!

I think more promotions for the program activities. I went to the majority of them and not a lot of people would attend. I think more advertisement for those activities would be good. The only complaint I had with my experience was with housing, but that was with FUA and not directed with CIS. I truly can't think of anything else!

Amanda
Burlington, VT

Florence - June 2012

I took a Drawing class and a Photography class for a month while living in Florence for my CIS abroad experience and these were the best classes to take, never too stressful and the class time and homework were actually enjoyable, it was so beautiful and warm during the month of June in Florence and I enjoyed every second of it. I had class in the morning on Monday through Thursday then had the afternoons to wander, do homework, and go out or make a meal in with friends, and always a 3 day weekend to travel around the Tuscany region, which were awesome excursions, my favorite being Chianti.

Perhaps more communication especially about travel plans for excursions and the trips from US to Europe with the entire group so that people could be better prepared mentally and literally with their travel arrangements, I had to travel alone taking taxis, trains, and airplanes all in one day a couple times and it was quite stressful so it would have been nice to make arrangements with other people in the group to travel with or something along those lines.

Amanda
Atlanta, Georgia
Oglethorpe University

Semester of a Lifetime

Waking up every morning to the sounds of my neighbors, the smells of the city, and the knowledge that I was in a different country are a few of the things I miss about Florence. Classes, while often time-consuming, were such a small part of the bigger picture of my fall 2012 semester abroad. I met people I never would have if it were not for this program, people that I still find myself talking to and sharing stories with more than five months after returning to the U.S.. The food, the people, the architecture, the culture....it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Even when I was homesick and lonely, wishing that my boyfriend or family or friends back home could experience this amazing adventure with me, knowing how lucky I was encouraged me to keep going even when the homesickness was almost too much. My semester in Florence is something I will cherish for the rest of my life and I cannot wait to go back.

There definitely needs to be a better way to decide on roommates, i.e. some sort of form or something that we fill out beforehand and we are put in apartments with people with similar interests. I understand that it is important to branch out and meet new people, but when you have nothing in common with your other five roommates, it can make things difficult when you are first getting there and trying to make friends. I'm just saying possibly put similar personality types together.

Brooke
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

Falling in Love with Florence

Studying abroad in Florence, Italy was the best experience of my life. I was able to study in a culture that I had never experienced as well as travel to the most beautiful places in the world. I had always known that I wanted to study abroad, and when it came to deciding where, Italy was the first place that came to mind. If I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. From waking up and crossing the famous Ponte Vecchio to get to class, to eating warm sandwiches on focaccia bread along the Fiume Arno at lunch, and watching the sunset over the whole city at Piazza Michelangelo, the opportunities that one who studies abroad receives are endless. While it was difficult at first adjusting to a different lifestyle, it was easy to make friends who were going through the same things I was and we made it through together. The Florentines were so friendly and they would willing go out of their way to help you learn about their culture. The only Italian I knew when arriving in the city was "ciao" but I left being able to hold conversations with the natives. My favorite part about studying in Florence was the size of the city. Rome is very large and can be overwhelming (I relate it to New York City) but Florence is small enough that you can walk everywhere yet still only meet someone once (I relate this to Philadelphia). If you are nervous about stepping out of your comfort zone and studying abroad, remember that there is always a defining moment in your life where you must take a leap of faith. Let studying abroad in this beautiful city be that opportunity, and let it change your life in the most amazing ways.

If I could change anything about this program, it would have been my apartment. While I never really had any extreme issues with it, I saw some of my friends had nicer living accommodations than I did.

Cecilia123
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
West Virginia University

Florence is the place to go!

My experience in Florence was absolutely perfect. It sounds so cliche but it literally was- I loved everything about it. From meals at Ganzo, to seeing the Duomo, Statue of David, Boboli Gardens, Michaelangelo, and Fiesole view- this place is unreal. Thinking about going back to America Saturday actually depresses me. I wish this could last forever. I have made a TON of friends who are from all over the US, and we have gone on trips all over the place. Four months has never flown by SO fast! I didn't travel outside of Italy due to a massive lack of funds...but it didn't even matter because I traveled ALL over Italy, and each place was better than the next. And even on the days I was in Florence... it was still just as special because this city is so magical. I learned something new every day, literally. The language barrier no longer exists between me and Italians (ok maybe a little) but I can hold a short conversation now and not feel awkward. Italians are great! They are sooo different from Americans. They dress a lot nicer too, which I really love. I also met people from Brazil, England, Scotland, Belgium, South Africa- everywhere! It was SO much fun hearing all the different accents and having conversations with people.

I'd have to say Amalfi Coast was my favorite trip I took during my stay in Italy. We had 80 degree weather, orange and lemon trees in the backyard of all of our bungalows, and explored beautiful shorelines and colorful houses. I will also say, however, that my FAVORITE experience in Italy was venturing out to Maranello to visit my dream place, Maranello, where I visited the Ferrari Museum and accomplished my lifelong goal of driving a Ferrari :) So worth the 100 euro.

Overall, this semester really shaped me as a person and made me 100% more confident in myself. Who knew I could fly 5,000 miles, adapt to a new environment, new people, new food and new way of life all by myself!? I feel so accomplished and happy with how this whole experience turned out. I will encourage any college student who has not left America to do it, because it pushes you as a person. It's hard no doubt, but in the end you feel like you can do anything. Italy has made me want to go home and be motivated- work hard, and really start establishing my career and finishing strong in school.

nothing!

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience. Experiences are innovative and focused on cultural immersion.

All of the