IES Abroad Milan - Business Studies

We provide one-of-a-kind courses that explore the world of business, as well as a wide variety of courses focusing on contemporary issues in Italy. Take an elective in Art History, Political Science, or Photography to create a diverse course load, or combine your coursework with a hands-on internship. Take a course in Italian economics at one of the top business schools in the world. All IES Abroad courses are taught by well-known experts in their fields, and are conducted in English. We also offer a guest lecture series and an extensive list of field study opportunities that help you learn more about the Italian business culture.

Round out your study abroad education with the required Italian language classes that are tailored to your skill level. You can also enroll in a local university course to learn about international business alongside Italian and international students.

Aria

Pick This Program!

IES Milan Business Studies was such a great program! I took interesting classes with phenomenal professors, lived in one of the nicest neighborhoods and apartments in Milan, and had the time of my life. Milan was the perfect city to study abroad in. It has great night life, fashion, history, and is overall a very livable place. IES does a great job of helping students gain the most from their study abroad experience. The staff was always available to help me with whatever I needed and I became great friends with the Italian student (known as the CA) who I lived with. I would pick this program again if I had the chance. You won't regret it!

Celia

IES Abroad Experience :)

IES was an amazing program that offered so many opportunities I never would've experienced anywhere else. IES provides each apartment with a live-in Italian student to help make everyone's immersion into the culture of the country easier and more enjoyable. I learned so much from this one student and it really enhanced my experience in Italy. IES also offers two guided trips to places I never would've gone had IES not offered these trips. Both trips were incredible and showed students what Italy is like outside of the tourist attractions. Overall, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the classes were very insightful. I took 4 classes all on different parts of Italian history and it definitely made me more knowledgable and understanding of the country I was living in.

The Italian education system is very different so that was hard to get used to but I think the teachers could've planned the classes a little better. We were never given much direction for homework or projects and every single class was assigned a project that was due a week before my finals so it was very poor planning and stressful for the end of my study abroad experience.
Milan
Kathleen

A Year in Milan

My year-long experience in Milan was life-changing to say the least. I am so grateful to have picked this program because I was able to explore my passions of photography and fashion which allowed me to continue to develop my fashion blog (www.anewerkatintown.com), become immersed in the Italian language, and have the opportunity to take classes at a world ranked school, Bocconi University. I also loved the cultural immersion aspect that the program provided by scheduling trips to museums, exhibits, and restaurants. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying business in Italy, and having a diverse and unique experience!

My experience was amazing and there's nothing I would change!
Sara

Amazing Milan experience provided by IES

I loved living in Milan and taking classes through IES. The staff at IES in Milan cares so deeply about their students and the cultural experiences we have during our time spent in Italy. They organize amazing trips to different parts of Italy and send out weekly suggested activities for those staying in Milan every weekend. The teachers want to see you succeed and they respect that students are also traveling on weekends. I lived with a host family and loved it. They were caring and sweet and respected my space.

Elizabeth

My IES Milan Experiance

My IES abroad experience is one I will never forget. The IES Milan School has a great program for students who also want to take classes at Italian universities. I also took classes at Bocconi, the business school in Milan. This school was a challenge, but I loved being at university with students from Italy as well as other countries around the world. Though IES Milan I was able to take language classes as well as classes at Bocconi, which was something that was important to me as I studied abroad.
I also chose to stay with a family. IES Milan does an amazing job of housing you with families that are so welcoming. In my homestay I had 4 sisters who were a variety of different ages. They also pair you with students in an apartment that allows you to meet students that go to IES as well.
The city of Milan is one of my favorite cities in Italy. There truly is everything. It has amazing food, a great history, and of course lots of shopping. Another benefit of choosing Milan is that is it very easy to get almost anywhere. There are three airports as well has a multitude of high speed trains. I loved my study abroad experience in Milan and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to study abroad in Italy.

I was lucky that I stayed with a host family and I took classes outside IES Milan (which they help you with). This allowed me to feel integrated into the culture because I was surrounded my locals, but if I hadn't chose to do that I would feel that my integration into the local culture would be lacking.
Amanda

My Italian Adventure

I had the best time abroad. Naturally, I had some reservations and fears about going on a program where I didn't know anyone prior to the program. That, on top of the fact that this would be my first time in Europe made me pretty nervous to see what the next five months would have in store for me. Shortly after arriving in Milan, I realized I had nothing at all to be worried about. IES abroad made transportation from the airport to my new apartment very smooth, with an IES representative waiting for me at the airport, ready to help. The IES assistance number was extremely helpful if I needed help or had any last minute questions. The orientation we went through helped us meet others in our program, kept us busy enough to not think about jet lag, and introduced us into the Italian lifestyle.

I lived with 5 people (4 Americans and one Italian student who served as our "Community Assistant" or CA). I realized all 5 of us were as different as could be and it made for the best experience possible. We were all diverse in our own ways which made us learn and grow from each other and allowed for an environment in which all of us felt completely comfortable and ourselves. IES abroad did a great job with choosing housing for us based on our living preferences that we described in the housing survey. Everyone on our program became pretty good friends, and I can truthfully say my study abroad friends are now my lifelong friends.

Classes through IES were fun and allowed for stimulating conversation and learning in the classroom. I was able to take fun and interesting classes, like communication and psychology, which I wouldn't have had room for in my schedule back at my school in America. I took very exciting field trips to news stations, saw a live news recording, and went to an Italian prison. I became extremely close with my three professors, who genuinely cared about their students. The course I took at Bocconi, an Italian University, proved to be extremely difficult, but my hard work paid off. Having no classes on Fridays made it super easy to travel on weekends.

If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing. I had the best time, saw places in Europe I've wanted to see my whole life, and met lifelong friends.

Caitlyn

Spero di vederti presto, Milano!

My study abroad experience in Milan through IES Abroad was unforgettable. Through the application process to the very end, I couldn't have asked for a better semester. I can confidently say studying abroad changed me as a person (for the better). I have a different outlook on life after traveling throughout Italy and Europe, and I have become far more independent. My goals before studying abroad were to make friends with Italian students and learn to speak the language. I had taken 4 semesters of Italian before studying abroad, however my Italian greatly improved through my Advanced Italian class. I felt comfortable getting around and speaking the language each day. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes (especially my cooking class) and the administration felt like family. Living in an apartment with an Italian student and other American students was a great experience. IES provided the students with nice and safe apartments. Not only did I make friends with Italian students, but I made amazing new friends from America! The nightlife in Milan is second to none and it was a hidden gem. Take advantage of the lively nightlife and unique outings Milan has to offer.

My biggest regret is not having studied abroad for a year. A semester did not feel long enough. I highly recommend this program to any student who is considering studying abroad in Italy. I had my eye on other cities in Italy when choosing a program, but Milan far exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, there are far less American study abroad students in Milan than in Florence and Rome. Before studying abroad, I thought that I would stay in Boston and get a job after graduation, however now I'm looking into grad schools and research programs in Italy. The sky is the limit!

This program could be improved by providing more cultural immersion activities with surrounding universities. It is all dependent on each student how much they want to steer away from American study abroad students and immerse themselves though.
Kori

Not wanting to go, to not wanting to leave

To be honest, I was extremely nervous about going abroad. I have traveled to 30 countries around the world with my family since I was a kid, but this was different. In the days leading up to my departure, everyone asked me if I was excited to go, and I really wasn't. For me initially, studying abroad was something I had to do because everyone did it their junior years. I was so nervous and dreading the day of my flight.
Once I got to Milan and met my roommates (after talking them on Facebook) I felt comfortable. We took a tour of the city the first day and already were planning our first trip. I met lots of people in my classes where we were all within 6 degrees of separation. 10 mutual friends on Facebook from all different walks of life.
Classes started and I felt at home. All of my friends from high school and college were still at home for winter break but I was so busy I didn't feel left out. Weeks flew by and almost every weekend we were traveling to a new country with a new language and new food! Classes were different than courses at my home college, but the professors were kind, understanding and were really passionate about helping.
After just a few days I was comfortable managing the streets and metro alone, knew where the grocery store was, and kind of understood when the cashier told me how much I owed. My Italian picked up quick thanks to the three weeks of intensive learning at the beginning of the semester. Soon enough it was Easter break, and at the end of the program, I didn't want to leave! Milan became like a second home, I learned a lot, and made new friends from around the US and around the world.
I was nervous and dreading my study abroad, but now I wish I stayed even longer!

It was great overall.
Emily

Best Semester of My Life

My time abroad was the best five semesters of my life. I had no idea what to expect going into the semester; I'd never been to Europe, I didn't speak any Italian, and I didn't know anyone else in my program. I'm so happy that I forced myself to break out of my comfort zone and go! I visited so many incredible places and ate some of the best food in the world while I was abroad. I took a wide variety of classes, both within my major and outside of it, which was a perfect balance of advancing myself further in my International Business major as well as learn more about Italian culture and history.

IES provided a lot of great opportunities to attend events throughout Milan as well as travel to new cities and countries with the program, making it really easy to get to know the other students in the program. I also lived in a wonderful part of the city, just a 10 minute walk away from the Duomo and even closer to the main fashion streets of Milan. It is also very easy to travel elsewhere from Milan, with its easy public transportation systems, multiple train stations, and multiple airports close by.

I highly recommend this program for everyone!

Madison

Incredible semester abroad

My study abroad experience with IES Milan was nothing short of incredible. The program staff was filled with generous, kind and knowledgable people who were there to support me in my experience from the moment I landed in MXP until I departed in May. I lived in an apartment with four other girls from the US and my Community Assistant, Ilenia. Ilenia welcomed us with warm hugs, cookies, and a jar of Nutella, eager to show us around the city and befriend us. I was nervous the first few days about making friends and living a country where I had no prior knowledge of the language, but by the end of the first week I was already planning my first trip with a group of friends to Florence. The orientation events put on by IES really did help me meet a bunch of the students in the program and get me excited about the semester to come.
Over the course of the semester I learned a ton about the Italian culture: how to correctly pronounce "grazie", where to find the best aperitivo, and when and when not to order a cappuccino. I enrolled in two Italian classes in which I was able to develop my language skills. I also had the opportunity to take a business fashion class where I was able to combine my major study with a passion of mine in one of Europe's most renown fashion capitals. Thanks to one of the Community Assistants I befriended, I was even able to attend a fashion show during Milan Women's Fashion Week.
Many weekends of mine were spent in Milan exploring different corners of the city. My friends and I became regulars at a particular pizzeria and spent the warmer afternoons picnicing in the local parks. Our other weekends and breaks were spent traveling Europe where I was able to meet up with friends from my home university as well make new friends in foreign places. My favorite trip was pretty adventurous. Eight of us decided to spend our week of spring break in Morocco. Traveling to the different major cities and exploring the northern African country was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. Towards the end of the semester IES hosted a trip to Parma, Italy, where students were able to tour a parmesan cheese factory, a balsamic vinegar factory, and a historic violin museum. Because this trip was at the end of the semester and most students enrolled in the program attended, it was a great way to bring everyone together again and wrap up the incredible semester.
While the fancy trips and delicious meals are some of my favorite memories from my study abroad experience, the best part of Milan was the people I met. I made lifetime friends during my semester abroad, people I know that will be in my life forever. Saying goodbye to all of those friendly faces at the end of the semester was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Luckily since returning to America, I have already had the opportunity to reunite with a few of them and plans are in the works to have a full blown IES Milan reunion in the future. Milan will always hold a special place in my heart and forever be one of my favorite cities in the world. The beauty of the Duomo is something that never grows old or wears away. I hope more than anything I can return to Milan in the near future.

The only thing that I wish the program offered would be more IES sponsored class trips like our trip to Parma, Italy and the ski trip to the Alps. More trips like these really do a great job of bonding the students in the program and help to foster long lasting friendships.
Max

Wonderful Experience

IES Abroad Milan is a fantastic program that offers a wide array of opportunities for all kinds of students. Whether it be business, music, or an interest in the Italian culture and language you have the ability to dive deep all while living in the wonderful city of Milan. With being in the northern part of Italy, it provides you with the ability to travel very easily. T he staff are very kind people who will go out of their way to assist you at moments notice.

Petey

Rocambolesco

IES Abroad Milano was an incredible experience. I traveled to 18 countries and 54 cities during my 5 months abroad in the spring of 2016. I developed incredible relationships with the staff, my roommates, fellow students in my program, and local Milanese. I learned a great deal about the incredibly diverse world we live in and how blessed I was to be afforded such an incredible opportunity. I highly recommend IES Abroad as a program due to the incredible flexibility that the program provides you to enjoy your own unique time abroad and cannot speak highly enough of Milan as a host city.

This program had everything I could have asked for, the only improvement I would have recommended was a mandatory immersion with the Milanese during education courses.
Kendra

Not All That I Imagined It To Be, But A Lot More Valuable Than I Ever Expected

My study abroad experience was bittersweet. I had amazing moments and it was an opportunity I am so grateful that I was able to have. But I also encountered a lot more struggles than I anticipated, which made the experience a challenge. To start with the positives, I loved my program. The center was great and the IES staff was wonderful. They were all fun and personable, and made the experience easier. I loved my classes and professors. I loved the city I was in and it was amazing to be able to travel. My apartment was beautiful and in an incredible location. There were so many wonderful moments during my abroad experience. While there were great times, there was also some hardship. I didn't make many close connections with the people in my program, which made it a little lonely at times. It wasn't the same as being at home. I didn't have consistent travel buddies, and I was on a budget, so I didn't get to travel as much as I wanted to. I wish I had an opportunity to meet more locals, but it was difficult since my program was for Americans and because there was a language barrier. Though not every single memory is 100% happy, I gained so much more from this than I could have imagined. I lived on my own in a new place and I learned how to integrate into a culture. I faced more challenges than I thought I would, and it made the experience not as much of the dream trip that I imagined. But I learned a lot about myself as a person, and what is important to me. I proved to myself that I can face troubles like these and still be okay. During my time abroad, I saw incredible sites and experienced amazing things that I will remember for the rest of my life. Study Abroad is such a unique opportunity and I am so glad that I took that chance.

Have a better way for the students to meet locals. It was difficult to just meet them because of the language barrier and the fact that the school was for Americans. It would be great to have some sort of social events.
Christie

Milano 2015

Studying abroad in Milan was an incredible experience. Milan isn't as touristy as other Italian cities and it offers a great mix of history, art, and modern business. Being in a city like Milan means you will always have something to do- whether that is going to the Prada Museum, spending the afternoon at Piazza Duomo, or enjoying the city's nightlife. Its location is also perfect for traveling to other European cities throughout the semester.

As a business major and an Italian minor, I was able to find classes that fit my requirements through IES Abroad's Business Studies Program. In terms of housing, IES offers you the option of doing a homestay or living in an apartment with other American students. I chose to live in an apartment and really enjoyed it. On top of being located in a great area, I lived with some of my best friends. However, I also heard great things from my friends who chose to do homestay, which offers a better opportunity for cultural immersion. All in all, I had a great experience in Milan and I recommend it to any business major who is interested in Italian culture.

If it would be possible to have Italian students in IES classrooms, that would be great! Although I really enjoyed my classes and the program as a whole, studying with locals would have allowed for more cultural immersion.
Jake

Drink your coffee and explore

After one semester Milan easily became my favorite city. From its busy, vibrant streets during the day to the glitz and glam of the fantastic nightlife Milan definitely has it all. There are a lot of colleges in Milan that draw in students from around the world, not to mention all of the study abroad students that call Milan home, and you have a big city with a large number of college aged people, it is the best of both worlds.

Living in Milan as a student is quite easy. My homestay apartment was beautiful and it was easy for me to move around the city thanks to the cheap, effective public transit that the city offers. This allowed me to explore so many parts of the city that I would have never gone to if not for the great access of public transportation.

If you can handle the hustle and bustle of the big city and enjoy exploring you will fit right in and be welcomed into the community that I call my home away from home.

The administration could be a little more organized. When dealing with administrative issues IES Abroad, both on the American side and the Italian side, were disorganized. A reorganization of information and procedural channels would be beneficial.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...