IES Abroad Milan - Business Studies

IES Abroad Milan - Business Studies

We provide one-of-a-kind courses that explore the world of business, as well as a wide variety of courses focusing on contemporary issues in Italy. Take an elective in Art History, Political Science, or Photography to create a diverse course load, or combine your coursework with a hands-on internship. Take a course in Italian economics at one of the top business schools in the world. All IES Abroad courses are taught by well-known experts in their fields, and are conducted in English. We also offer a guest lecture series and an extensive list of field study opportunities that help you learn more about the Italian business culture.

Round out your study abroad education with the required Italian language classes that are tailored to your skill level. You can also enroll in a local university course to learn about international business alongside Italian and international students.

Europe » Italy » Milan

Milan
Kathleen
Villanova University

A Year in Milan

My year-long experience in Milan was life-changing to say the least. I am so grateful to have picked this program because I was able to explore my passions of photography and fashion which allowed me to continue to develop my fashion blog (www.anewerkatintown.com), become immersed in the Italian language, and have the opportunity to take classes at a world ranked school, Bocconi University. I also loved the cultural immersion aspect that the program provided by scheduling trips to museums, exhibits, and restaurants. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying business in Italy, and having a diverse and unique experience!

My experience was amazing and there's nothing I would change!

Sara

Amazing Milan experience provided by IES

I loved living in Milan and taking classes through IES. The staff at IES in Milan cares so deeply about their students and the cultural experiences we have during our time spent in Italy. They organize amazing trips to different parts of Italy and send out weekly suggested activities for those staying in Milan every weekend. The teachers want to see you succeed and they respect that students are also traveling on weekends. I lived with a host family and loved it. They were caring and sweet and respected my space.

Elizabeth
Pittsburgh, PA
Purdue University

My IES Milan Experiance

My IES abroad experience is one I will never forget. The IES Milan School has a great program for students who also want to take classes at Italian universities. I also took classes at Bocconi, the business school in Milan. This school was a challenge, but I loved being at university with students from Italy as well as other countries around the world. Though IES Milan I was able to take language classes as well as classes at Bocconi, which was something that was important to me as I studied abroad.
I also chose to stay with a family. IES Milan does an amazing job of housing you with families that are so welcoming. In my homestay I had 4 sisters who were a variety of different ages. They also pair you with students in an apartment that allows you to meet students that go to IES as well.
The city of Milan is one of my favorite cities in Italy. There truly is everything. It has amazing food, a great history, and of course lots of shopping. Another benefit of choosing Milan is that is it very easy to get almost anywhere. There are three airports as well has a multitude of high speed trains. I loved my study abroad experience in Milan and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to study abroad in Italy.

I was lucky that I stayed with a host family and I took classes outside IES Milan (which they help you with). This allowed me to feel integrated into the culture because I was surrounded my locals, but if I hadn't chose to do that I would feel that my integration into the local culture would be lacking.

Amanda
Bethesda, Maryland
Bucknell University

My Italian Adventure

I had the best time abroad. Naturally, I had some reservations and fears about going on a program where I didn't know anyone prior to the program. That, on top of the fact that this would be my first time in Europe made me pretty nervous to see what the next five months would have in store for me. Shortly after arriving in Milan, I realized I had nothing at all to be worried about. IES abroad made transportation from the airport to my new apartment very smooth, with an IES representative waiting for me at the airport, ready to help. The IES assistance number was extremely helpful if I needed help or had any last minute questions. The orientation we went through helped us meet others in our program, kept us busy enough to not think about jet lag, and introduced us into the Italian lifestyle.

I lived with 5 people (4 Americans and one Italian student who served as our "Community Assistant" or CA). I realized all 5 of us were as different as could be and it made for the best experience possible. We were all diverse in our own ways which made us learn and grow from each other and allowed for an environment in which all of us felt completely comfortable and ourselves. IES abroad did a great job with choosing housing for us based on our living preferences that we described in the housing survey. Everyone on our program became pretty good friends, and I can truthfully say my study abroad friends are now my lifelong friends.

Classes through IES were fun and allowed for stimulating conversation and learning in the classroom. I was able to take fun and interesting classes, like communication and psychology, which I wouldn't have had room for in my schedule back at my school in America. I took very exciting field trips to news stations, saw a live news recording, and went to an Italian prison. I became extremely close with my three professors, who genuinely cared about their students. The course I took at Bocconi, an Italian University, proved to be extremely difficult, but my hard work paid off. Having no classes on Fridays made it super easy to travel on weekends.

If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing. I had the best time, saw places in Europe I've wanted to see my whole life, and met lifelong friends.

Caitlyn
Lincoln
Simmons College

Spero di vederti presto, Milano!

My study abroad experience in Milan through IES Abroad was unforgettable. Through the application process to the very end, I couldn't have asked for a better semester. I can confidently say studying abroad changed me as a person (for the better). I have a different outlook on life after traveling throughout Italy and Europe, and I have become far more independent. My goals before studying abroad were to make friends with Italian students and learn to speak the language. I had taken 4 semesters of Italian before studying abroad, however my Italian greatly improved through my Advanced Italian class. I felt comfortable getting around and speaking the language each day. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes (especially my cooking class) and the administration felt like family. Living in an apartment with an Italian student and other American students was a great experience. IES provided the students with nice and safe apartments. Not only did I make friends with Italian students, but I made amazing new friends from America! The nightlife in Milan is second to none and it was a hidden gem. Take advantage of the lively nightlife and unique outings Milan has to offer.

My biggest regret is not having studied abroad for a year. A semester did not feel long enough. I highly recommend this program to any student who is considering studying abroad in Italy. I had my eye on other cities in Italy when choosing a program, but Milan far exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, there are far less American study abroad students in Milan than in Florence and Rome. Before studying abroad, I thought that I would stay in Boston and get a job after graduation, however now I'm looking into grad schools and research programs in Italy. The sky is the limit!

This program could be improved by providing more cultural immersion activities with surrounding universities. It is all dependent on each student how much they want to steer away from American study abroad students and immerse themselves though.

Kori
Acton
Ithaca College

Not wanting to go, to not wanting to leave

To be honest, I was extremely nervous about going abroad. I have traveled to 30 countries around the world with my family since I was a kid, but this was different. In the days leading up to my departure, everyone asked me if I was excited to go, and I really wasn't. For me initially, studying abroad was something I had to do because everyone did it their junior years. I was so nervous and dreading the day of my flight.
Once I got to Milan and met my roommates (after talking them on Facebook) I felt comfortable. We took a tour of the city the first day and already were planning our first trip. I met lots of people in my classes where we were all within 6 degrees of separation. 10 mutual friends on Facebook from all different walks of life.
Classes started and I felt at home. All of my friends from high school and college were still at home for winter break but I was so busy I didn't feel left out. Weeks flew by and almost every weekend we were traveling to a new country with a new language and new food! Classes were different than courses at my home college, but the professors were kind, understanding and were really passionate about helping.
After just a few days I was comfortable managing the streets and metro alone, knew where the grocery store was, and kind of understood when the cashier told me how much I owed. My Italian picked up quick thanks to the three weeks of intensive learning at the beginning of the semester. Soon enough it was Easter break, and at the end of the program, I didn't want to leave! Milan became like a second home, I learned a lot, and made new friends from around the US and around the world.
I was nervous and dreading my study abroad, but now I wish I stayed even longer!

It was great overall.

Emily
Beaverton
University of Puget Sound

Best Semester of My Life

My time abroad was the best five semesters of my life. I had no idea what to expect going into the semester; I'd never been to Europe, I didn't speak any Italian, and I didn't know anyone else in my program. I'm so happy that I forced myself to break out of my comfort zone and go! I visited so many incredible places and ate some of the best food in the world while I was abroad. I took a wide variety of classes, both within my major and outside of it, which was a perfect balance of advancing myself further in my International Business major as well as learn more about Italian culture and history.

IES provided a lot of great opportunities to attend events throughout Milan as well as travel to new cities and countries with the program, making it really easy to get to know the other students in the program. I also lived in a wonderful part of the city, just a 10 minute walk away from the Duomo and even closer to the main fashion streets of Milan. It is also very easy to travel elsewhere from Milan, with its easy public transportation systems, multiple train stations, and multiple airports close by.

I highly recommend this program for everyone!

Madison
Scottsdale
Wofford College

Incredible semester abroad

My study abroad experience with IES Milan was nothing short of incredible. The program staff was filled with generous, kind and knowledgable people who were there to support me in my experience from the moment I landed in MXP until I departed in May. I lived in an apartment with four other girls from the US and my Community Assistant, Ilenia. Ilenia welcomed us with warm hugs, cookies, and a jar of Nutella, eager to show us around the city and befriend us. I was nervous the first few days about making friends and living a country where I had no prior knowledge of the language, but by the end of the first week I was already planning my first trip with a group of friends to Florence. The orientation events put on by IES really did help me meet a bunch of the students in the program and get me excited about the semester to come.
Over the course of the semester I learned a ton about the Italian culture: how to correctly pronounce "grazie", where to find the best aperitivo, and when and when not to order a cappuccino. I enrolled in two Italian classes in which I was able to develop my language skills. I also had the opportunity to take a business fashion class where I was able to combine my major study with a passion of mine in one of Europe's most renown fashion capitals. Thanks to one of the Community Assistants I befriended, I was even able to attend a fashion show during Milan Women's Fashion Week.
Many weekends of mine were spent in Milan exploring different corners of the city. My friends and I became regulars at a particular pizzeria and spent the warmer afternoons picnicing in the local parks. Our other weekends and breaks were spent traveling Europe where I was able to meet up with friends from my home university as well make new friends in foreign places. My favorite trip was pretty adventurous. Eight of us decided to spend our week of spring break in Morocco. Traveling to the different major cities and exploring the northern African country was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. Towards the end of the semester IES hosted a trip to Parma, Italy, where students were able to tour a parmesan cheese factory, a balsamic vinegar factory, and a historic violin museum. Because this trip was at the end of the semester and most students enrolled in the program attended, it was a great way to bring everyone together again and wrap up the incredible semester.
While the fancy trips and delicious meals are some of my favorite memories from my study abroad experience, the best part of Milan was the people I met. I made lifetime friends during my semester abroad, people I know that will be in my life forever. Saying goodbye to all of those friendly faces at the end of the semester was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Luckily since returning to America, I have already had the opportunity to reunite with a few of them and plans are in the works to have a full blown IES Milan reunion in the future. Milan will always hold a special place in my heart and forever be one of my favorite cities in the world. The beauty of the Duomo is something that never grows old or wears away. I hope more than anything I can return to Milan in the near future.

The only thing that I wish the program offered would be more IES sponsored class trips like our trip to Parma, Italy and the ski trip to the Alps. More trips like these really do a great job of bonding the students in the program and help to foster long lasting friendships.

Max
Middlebury

Wonderful Experience

IES Abroad Milan is a fantastic program that offers a wide array of opportunities for all kinds of students. Whether it be business, music, or an interest in the Italian culture and language you have the ability to dive deep all while living in the wonderful city of Milan. With being in the northern part of Italy, it provides you with the ability to travel very easily. T he staff are very kind people who will go out of their way to assist you at moments notice.

Petey
Fair Haven, New Jersey

Rocambolesco

IES Abroad Milano was an incredible experience. I traveled to 18 countries and 54 cities during my 5 months abroad in the spring of 2016. I developed incredible relationships with the staff, my roommates, fellow students in my program, and local Milanese. I learned a great deal about the incredibly diverse world we live in and how blessed I was to be afforded such an incredible opportunity. I highly recommend IES Abroad as a program due to the incredible flexibility that the program provides you to enjoy your own unique time abroad and cannot speak highly enough of Milan as a host city.

This program had everything I could have asked for, the only improvement I would have recommended was a mandatory immersion with the Milanese during education courses.

Kendra
Cheshire, CT
Bentley University

Not All That I Imagined It To Be, But A Lot More Valuable Than I Ever Expected

My study abroad experience was bittersweet. I had amazing moments and it was an opportunity I am so grateful that I was able to have. But I also encountered a lot more struggles than I anticipated, which made the experience a challenge. To start with the positives, I loved my program. The center was great and the IES staff was wonderful. They were all fun and personable, and made the experience easier. I loved my classes and professors. I loved the city I was in and it was amazing to be able to travel. My apartment was beautiful and in an incredible location. There were so many wonderful moments during my abroad experience. While there were great times, there was also some hardship. I didn't make many close connections with the people in my program, which made it a little lonely at times. It wasn't the same as being at home. I didn't have consistent travel buddies, and I was on a budget, so I didn't get to travel as much as I wanted to. I wish I had an opportunity to meet more locals, but it was difficult since my program was for Americans and because there was a language barrier. Though not every single memory is 100% happy, I gained so much more from this than I could have imagined. I lived on my own in a new place and I learned how to integrate into a culture. I faced more challenges than I thought I would, and it made the experience not as much of the dream trip that I imagined. But I learned a lot about myself as a person, and what is important to me. I proved to myself that I can face troubles like these and still be okay. During my time abroad, I saw incredible sites and experienced amazing things that I will remember for the rest of my life. Study Abroad is such a unique opportunity and I am so glad that I took that chance.

Have a better way for the students to meet locals. It was difficult to just meet them because of the language barrier and the fact that the school was for Americans. It would be great to have some sort of social events.

Christie
Washington, DC
George Washington University

Milano 2015

Studying abroad in Milan was an incredible experience. Milan isn't as touristy as other Italian cities and it offers a great mix of history, art, and modern business. Being in a city like Milan means you will always have something to do- whether that is going to the Prada Museum, spending the afternoon at Piazza Duomo, or enjoying the city's nightlife. Its location is also perfect for traveling to other European cities throughout the semester.

As a business major and an Italian minor, I was able to find classes that fit my requirements through IES Abroad's Business Studies Program. In terms of housing, IES offers you the option of doing a homestay or living in an apartment with other American students. I chose to live in an apartment and really enjoyed it. On top of being located in a great area, I lived with some of my best friends. However, I also heard great things from my friends who chose to do homestay, which offers a better opportunity for cultural immersion. All in all, I had a great experience in Milan and I recommend it to any business major who is interested in Italian culture.

If it would be possible to have Italian students in IES classrooms, that would be great! Although I really enjoyed my classes and the program as a whole, studying with locals would have allowed for more cultural immersion.

Jake
Santa Clara, California
Santa Clara University

Drink your coffee and explore

After one semester Milan easily became my favorite city. From its busy, vibrant streets during the day to the glitz and glam of the fantastic nightlife Milan definitely has it all. There are a lot of colleges in Milan that draw in students from around the world, not to mention all of the study abroad students that call Milan home, and you have a big city with a large number of college aged people, it is the best of both worlds.

Living in Milan as a student is quite easy. My homestay apartment was beautiful and it was easy for me to move around the city thanks to the cheap, effective public transit that the city offers. This allowed me to explore so many parts of the city that I would have never gone to if not for the great access of public transportation.

If you can handle the hustle and bustle of the big city and enjoy exploring you will fit right in and be welcomed into the community that I call my home away from home.

The administration could be a little more organized. When dealing with administrative issues IES Abroad, both on the American side and the Italian side, were disorganized. A reorganization of information and procedural channels would be beneficial.

J
Baltimore, Maryland

Take Me Back

My experience through IES Abroad Milan Business studies was incredible to say the least. The city of Milan is gorgeous that is very modern compared to other Italian cities, but contains the historic "Italian" feel. The IES Abroad Milan staff helped me with all my questions, kept me safe, and suggested great sites and travel ideas. The academics were perfect, as they were not too challenging, but I learned a great amount. There were many classes offered and class size was small, promoting a good relationship with professors. I lived with 5 other guys in an apartment and they became my best friends on the program; I didn't know anyone going into the program. My community assistant (CA) was great too, as he wasn't too overbearing, but kept us safe and answered all the questions we had. There is a lot to do in the city of Milan, everything from seeing beautiful museums, to going to soccer matches, you never get bored.The 3.5 months I spent studying in Milan through IES Abroad was the best experience of my life, and I wish I could go back!

Andrea
Boston, MA
Simmons College

New Life in Italy

It's a strange moment when you are cook in your own home and the smells remind you of a home in some far away place. You realize that where you grew up your whole life isn't home anymore. You left a piece of you in Italy, in Milan with the friends you made, the family you lived with and you realize that if home is where the heart is than you need to be back in Italy. That is the essence of study abroad. For me the smell is pasta con pesto, a simple dish my homestay mom made for me almost daily. It takes me back to sitting in her kitchen and helping her cook pasta and chatting in Italian about school that day. Studying abroad gives you a new life, a new home, and a new sense of self. It will change you and in the end that will make you a better person. So go! Apply today, get on that plane, and get ready for your life to change.

I would change how the language course is structured for grading. It's hard to grade improvement when everything is based off tests.

MK
Columbia, Maryland
Franklin & Marshall College

La migliore città

Why Milan? Because it's the best combination of adventure and academics. The IES program in this thriving Italian city does such a great job of not only making students feel comfortable, but also encouraging students to explore and dive into the Italian culture. The program had us live in the apartments with an Italian roommate and she completely enhanced my Italian adventure. Not to mention she helped translate a time or two...There was just enough school, just enough travel and just enough social life. Everything was balanced and, of course, beautiful because it's Italy...

Studying abroad as an American student is such a humbling experience. You learn about yourself, the culture you primarily identify with, and most importantly the particular place you are living. That's why Milan is such a great choice. Combine curiosity with great academics, an interesting city, and an awesome culture and you have yourself an amazing experience. Living in the city was the coolest way to completely immerse myself into the Italian lifestyle. Although a famous city, Milan is less touristy than other Italian favorites which is why living there was such a great decision. You really get to experience the best of both worlds: being a tourist yet seeing the truest form of Italy.

AND THE FOOD...I don't even think I have to explain...

As far as traveling goes, Milan was the place to be. The transportation options were incredible and everything was so accessible. Personally, Milan was the best place for me to study abroad because I could balance my academics, internship, social life and travel for an incredible four months. Sitting here and writing this review I am experiencing the infamous nostalgia you hear everyone talk about. It's real, and to be honest, I'm happy I have it. I just goes to show you how much of an impact my life Milan had on this small town girl...I had never been out of the country before my semester abroad and I am so incredibly happy Milan was my first stop!

I would be nice to have more information on living situations prior to the two weeks before you leave. Additionally, some of the small technical issues like the printers and WiFi systems at the center should be improved.

Sergio
Milan, Italy
Haverford College

Milan - The best of both worlds!

Milan is an amazing city! It is modern, international, and it is important within global markets. However, it is not overly crowded and it retains Italy's rich culture. From da Vinci's The Last Supper, to risotto alla Milanese, to the UniCredit Tower - Milan remains a hub of history, culture, and business. It's an extremely walkable city, though the public transit system will take you anywhere you need to go. The Navigli (canal) area lined with bars and restaurants is beautiful any time of year, and the birthplace of the aperitivo does not disappoint. As for IES, the staff is generous and attentive. They are very helpful in the accommodation process upon arrival, as well as with any other need you may have throughout the semester. I stayed after the end of my semester for an internship outside of IES, but I remained in close contact with them and they were always happy to see me. I highly, highly recommend this program!

The printers and computers in the library at the IES center could have been a little better, but it was nothing that impeded students from completing their work.

Emily
Chicago, IL
Indiana University- Bloomington

Quando ho abitato a Milano...

I loved participating in IES Abroad’s Milan program. From arrival, they helped us become situated while still giving us the freedom to explore. I lived with an Italian roommate, and I don’t know what I would’ve done without her. She helped us figure out how to get around Milan, gave us amazing restaurant suggestions, taught us delicious recipes, and became a great friend. IES staff also organized some really fun trips for us. For example, we got to go to Parma, Italy, where we sampled amazing parmesan cheese and 50-year old balsamic vinegar. I enjoyed many of the trips that they organized and thought they were a great part of my experience abroad.

Milan itself is a fantastic city to study abroad in. Although it might not be known for having the most tourist sites, it has an incredible history of Leonardo daVinci living and working there, and the Duomo, Sforza Castle, and Galleria are incredible buildings. Due to the relatively fewer tourists, I felt as though I could actually get to know the city itself. I loved exploring the bakeries, cafes, and aperitivos. I would also encourage students to participate in city events. I ran in the Stramilano 10K, and it was such an incredible opportunity that the average tourist would never experience. Be sure to seek out those unique activities, because they will add so much to your time abroad.

The language intensive at the beginning is very challenging, especially depending on what level you are in. You need to be prepared to actually study during those first two weeks.

Josh
Santa Clara, California

Abroad in Milan

My advice for someone considering studying abroad is to stop considering it and make it happen. You will experience the biggest and best adventures of your life studying in another country and you will learn things and meet people you never imagined. The IES program in Milan is very organized and the staff provides everything a student needs to succeed during the semester. I lived in an apartment on a very central and busy shopping street with 2 American roommates and a 28-year old Italian IES employee.who was very cool and helped us with anything we needed. As far as classes go, I took Italian, Entrepreneurship, photography, and an internship seminar to go along with the internship I had when I was there. The professors are all very knowledgeable and are available to offer help when you need it. I took all my classes at IES and the center was less than a 10 minute walk from my apartment. IES does a very good job of catering to the needs of students and the staff is fun and friendly. I experienced so much more of the culture through IES than I would have on my own. The program even paid for us to go to a spa one night. The program made me feel at home and I definitely suggest you sign up ASAP

Smoother class registration process.

Taylor
Oxford, OH
Miami University

Perfect

Going to Milan, Italy with IES was the best decision I have every made in my entire life. I truly was pushed out of my comfort zone unlike any other experience in my life. I met new people and was immersed in a new culture. The location was fantastic and teh program was so helpful. I grew exponentially as a person and would advise this to anyone.

Live closer to other students.

kenzieinitaly
Boston, Massachusetts
Bentley University

My Italian Adventure

My typical day would start in my apartment with my four amazing roommates! One of our roommates was our CA, or community assistant. She was a native Italian who really helped us adjust to living in Italy and was just a wonderful roommate in general. Then we would head to the IES Abroad Center via the metro and have our Italian class only for the first month of studying abroad. For the three remaining months I participated in a Social Innovation class, a Fashion Management class, an Internship Seminar class, and an internship at a cool e-commerce company where I worked for about 10-12 hours per week. My commute was always using the metro which was very easy to use and figure out. Typically after classes we would all have lunch at one of our favorite sandwich shops - Panini Durini and then go and explore Milan! Almost every weekend I planned a trip with friends in my program to another place in Europe such as Amsterdam, Lisbon, Barcelona, and Munich!

The one thing I would change would be the registration for classes before we got to Italy. I feel like I could have been registered for all of my classes prior to my arrival since I only took classes at the IES Abroad Center. However, IES does offer amazing opportunities to take classes at local universities such as University of Milan, Cattolica, and Bocconi, and registration for those universities almost completely needed to occur once we all arrived in Italy.

Kimi
Santa Clara, CA

IES Abroad Milan

I absolutely loved my experience in Milan and learned so much about the culture, language, and people. I was paired with an amazing host family who were so loving and happy, and taught me so much. I improved my Italian immensely, and my cooking skills! The classes were challenging, but not impossible, and I learned a lot about fashion, cooking, the Italian language, and photography.

My biggest problem was that the program was advertised as a business studies program, but only provided one class that was through IES.

anonymous
Villanova, PA
Villanova University

Amazing Experience

I would recommend this program to anyone. I enjoyed studying in Milan probably more than I would have in another Italian city because it is not a typical place for American students to study abroad. It is not a tourist destination. It forced me to step outside my comfort zone, speak to people in Italian and live in the everyday Italian lifestyle. IES Abroad was also a great program because the staff was very supportive and the group of students on the program was great.
For anyone studying business, I would recommend taking advantage of the fact that IES Abroad has an affiliation with Bocconi University, the top University in Italy. I took classes there which I absolutely loved because it gave me the chance to really experience what an Italian college is like and I met a lot of people outside of the program.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to