IES Abroad Milan – Business Studies

We provide one-of-a-kind courses that explore the world of business, as well as a wide variety of courses focusing on contemporary issues in Italy. Take an elective in Art History, Political Science, or Photography to create a diverse course load, or combine your coursework with a hands-on internship. Take a course in Italian economics at one of the top business schools in the world. All IES Abroad courses are taught by well-known experts in their fields, and are conducted in English. We also offer a guest lecture series and an extensive list of field study opportunities that help you learn more about the Italian business culture.

Round out your study abroad education with the required Italian language classes that are tailored to your skill level. You can also enroll in a local university course to learn about international business alongside Italian and international students.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Julia

Milanese Adventure

I had the amazing opportunity to study and intern abroad in Milan through IES. I absolutely loved my experience in Milan, and the IES team was extremely helpful in preparing me for my time abroad. I especially appreciated how easy they made the pre-departure experience. They helped with all preparation aspects, from the visa process to packing for 4 months away!

While there, I took classes in subjects I was interested in that helped me learn more about Italian culture and contributed to my major. Through my internship, I expanded my cultural awareness and developed skills I know will be beneficial in future work experiences.

I also had the opportunity to explore the city and other parts of Italy through field trips IES planned. Whether it be taking cooking lessons, touring historical sites in Milan, or flying to the south of Italy, I will remember these experiences forever. I am grateful that IES planned them because I would not have been able to do them on my own, and they made my abroad experience even more amazing.

The apartment I lived in was also great. It was in a safe area and was very secure. The Italian student living with us, called a CA, was extremely helpful and helped me adjust quickly!

My advice to future travelers would be to take advantage of everything Milan has to offer. In my opinion, the best way to do this is by just walking around the city. It is a great city to explore on foot; it is also very safe. I spent so much time just walking around discovering small local caffes, where I talked to locals; little boutiques; and beautiful historical sites. I would also advise travelers to take advantage of free art museums! In addition to the larger, more famous galleries, there are vibrant, smaller ones you can find with just a little research.
Morgan

Time of My LIFE

I absolutely loved living in Milan, Italy and studying abroad through IES. The Business Studies program provided many courses that were similar to courses at my home University and many classes unique to Milan. For example, I took a business class about managing fashion companies which is extremely unique to Milan and also transferable to my school.

Milan was an amazing city for me because it had a lot to do but was small enough for me to easily navigate on my own within a few days of being there. The public transportation was great!

The program administration was amazing and extraordinarily helpful when I needed to go to the doctor and complete insurance reimbursements.

I chose to live in an apartment and WOW- my apartment was beautiful. I don't think I'll have another apartment like that for a while.

I would definitely recommend Milan to someone who loves to travel to big and small cities around Europe and especially within Italy. The Milan airports were extremely accessible and reliable and usually pretty inexpensive compared to other airports. I traveled somewhere new almost every weekend and Milan was a great home base to do that from!

I would try to get more students to enroll in the program. When I attended, there were only around 200 students which is small compared to other study abroad programs.
Jaci

Best Decision I Ever Made!

Leading up to my flight to Milan, I was nervous about traveling alone and leaving my friends and family. The moment I landed in Milan, I knew I made the right choice and the four months I spent in Italy were the best four months of my life. I enjoyed all of my Business Studies classes and the professors were determined to helping students succeed in the classroom. I did not expect to like my Italian 101 class, but it ended up being my favorite class! My professor was the absolute best and made it so easy to quickly learn Italian and about Italian culture to help get around the city. I lived in an apartment provided by IES and it was in a great location close to the IES and the popular areas in the city. Living with my roommates as well as an Italian CA made it much easier to adjust to a new city. I loved learning about Milan's history and culture, eating the AMAZING food, and the fun nightlife. The Milan airports, trains, and bus systems are easy to use and make it very easy to travel to other parts of Europe. I also went on some fun trips offered by the program. My four months abroad went by very fast and I was extremely sad to leave. I could not imagine studying abroad anywhere else and would highly recommend Milan to anyone who wants a study abroad experience that is going to exceed their expectations! Grazie Milano!

Take advantage of aperitivo! It's an endless buffet of delicious food included with the price of one drink. I lived right next to Navigli where a lot of the aperitivo restaurants were and I wish I had gone more. Such a great way to get together with friends and get some really good food and drinks at great prices!
Katelyn

Amazing classes

I love my business classes abroad! I learned so much about finance and business in Europe. Although my favorite class would have to be my Italian 101 class. It was nice being able to practice a language I was learning every-time I ran errands! All the professors are very kind and supportive.

The food was phenomenal. I ate endless amounts of prosciutto, pasta, and pizza. I was staying with a host family and they cooked dinner for me every night. Food is fairly inexpensive, I would not spend much money grocery shopping or out at restaurants.

The nightlife is super fun. There are always bars close-by and dance clubs are open very late. It's the best place to meet people and make new friends. It gives you a chance to enjoy the city at night.

I would improve communication with staff & students. Sometimes it was difficult to reach them.
Alex

The Best Four Months of my Life!

Although it sounds cliche, studying abroad really does change you for the better. Traveling to Italy alone on a plane seemed nerve racking at first, leaving my family and friends behind, but as soon as I stepped outside if the airport, I knew I had found my home. The city was beautiful, the food was unreal and the people were friendly and inviting. I was placed in a perfectly located apartment, with the most amazing roommates who I grew so close to over the course of the semester. Throughout my time in Milan I was able to study Italian, History of the Mafia and Fashion and Brand Management as well intern twice a week at a tech startup. Not only was I able to take classes so relevant to my host city, I had the opportunity to work there as well. Overall this experience taught me so much about myself. I have become much more independent, spontaneous and open as a result of this journey. This was truly the best four months of my life and I thank IES and Milano for making this experience so unforgettable.

I think IES Milan should add more classes as they get more students as well as make sure that not all professors assign all work at the end of the semester
Marialisa

Studying with IES in Milan

Through IES, I was able to get so much out of my abroad experience! The Center's incredibly dedicated staff helped me to partake in an internship with a local business for class credit, as well as take an outside course at l'Università Bocconi. This allowed me to really immerse myself in the Italian community, in addition to the courses I took at IES which brought us out on field studies around the area. Outside of school, I was placed in an apartment located directly in front of il Duomo, putting me at the very heart of the city with every mode of public transportation and shopping indulgence at my disposal! I would highly recommend this program, not only for all the city of Milan has to offer, but mainly for all the ways IES allows you to take advantage of it.

This program is fantastic and has little to improve, if anything, I would have only preferred to have received the class time table before arrival to have been able to better organize my own schedule ahead of time.
Elena

Magical City, Milan has my heart!

My Milan study abroad experience was the most rewarding and incredible experience of my life. The friends I made there have changed my life so positively, and I will always be so thankful for the opportunity to have met them! IES staff was so helpful and supportive throughout the entire process. I believe Milan was the perfect city to study in, since it is a city that makes you feel right at home. Although the city mainly speaks Italian, even my friends who did not speak Italian at all found that they could get around. Also, the IES Italian classes are very in-depth, which helped raise my own level of Italian. I highly recommend Milan to anybody looking for an experience in a young, exciting city that’s located in the center of all the action!

Carly

I love IES, I love Milan!

My experience with IES Abroad Milan: Business Studies was absolutely incredible. Thanks to IES, the 4 months i spent in Italy were absolutely life changing. It was an experience that I will never forget and has shaped who I am today. The academic aspect of IES was great, as I enjoyed all of my classes and really liked all of my professors. It was unlike any american academic experience because of all the interesting field trips I got to go on in my classes. As for my housing situation, I was lucky enough to be placed in an apartment in one of the nicest areas of Milan. I became friends with my CA, who also happened to be my roommate, and because of her I truly felt like I was able to immerse myself into Italian culture. IES offered many weekend trips as well as activities to do in Milan such as pizza making, which allowed for students to participate in activities that they may not have partaken in otherwise. Overall, my experience with IES and the time I spent in Milan has changed me for the better and will absolutely have an influence on me for the rest of my life. Grazie IES, Grazie Milano!

There were some things in my apartment that were broken, so it would help to double check that everything in the apartments work before the students arrive.