CIEE Open Campus in Rome, Italy

CIEE Open Campus in Rome, Italy

CIEE's Global Institute - Rome places at your door all that the Eternal City has to offer. Explore and experience one of the birthplaces of Western Civilization through a program tailored to your academic needs - your passions - all just minutes from iconic landmarks such as Vatican City and the Colosseum.
Highlights include:
- Immersing yourself in Italian culture as you explore iconic landmarks of art, architecture, and cuisine
- Learning in classrooms with the latest technology and equipment
- Sharing an apartment with local Italian students
- Learning to speak Italian or building on your existing language skills by interacting daily with local neighbors, students, and professionals
- Student life with information on local events and volunteer opportunities

Europe » Italy » Rome
Europe » Italy
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:
- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits
- CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details

Jenny

The Best 6 Weeks of My Life

My 6-week block with CIEE Rome was incredible. If you are reading this because you are considering studying abroad here, then DO IT!

I had the most incredible time in Rome, and the city now has a special place in my heart. The sights/monuments were breathtaking, the food was beyond amazing and the overall atmosphere of Rome was just incredible. But those are things people should already expect when coming to Rome.

What really made my experience unforgettable was the wonderful and lovely staff at CIEE Rome. From the second I arrived at the airport, I felt so welcomed. It was evident from the first day that the staff members truly cared about us. It was clear that our safety and wellbeing were their top priority. They became more than just staff members, directors and professors to us. They took the time and effort to get to know us on a personal level and become our friends. I can honestly say now that the people at CIEE Rome are like family to me.

I am beyond glad that I chose to study abroad in Rome with CIEE, and my biggest regret may possibly be not staying longer. I’m grateful that if I ever return to Rome (which I definitely will!), I have people to see and hopefully a place to stay! As much as I miss the gelato and cannolis, I miss the people at CIEE Rome the most.

Again, if you have to chance to study abroad with CIEE Rome, then please please please do it!

Have all students live together in the same building, but with the way Rome is built and works, it is nearly impossible. The staff does the best that they can to accommodate for our housing needs.

Andrew
Los Angeles, CA
University of Arizona

Most Memorable Experience

My name is Andrew and I studied at the CIEE Rome Institute in the fall of 2016. This experience was one that I will truly remember for a lifetime. Dr. Follo and all of the staff at the Global Institute were the most amazing people one could have asked to have as mentors and faculty going abroad. Going abroad I was a little apprehensive since this was the first semester that the Institute was established, but I hopped on a plane and headed over to Italy. From the first day I arrived at orientation to my farewell dinner the experience provided by CIEE was far beyond what I, or my parents, had expected. The housing provided to us was well beyond what a traditional college dorm would have been and far better! With this housing and the peer mentor provided I developed friends for life, as well as a better understanding of the Italian culture. Our peer mentor was a local who really knew the in's and out's of the city and provided us with the best immersion opportunity we could have. The location of not only the housing, but the school as well, was perfect for everything. Centered right in the middle of Rome in a safe and happening area, we were provided the best of both worlds. The learning experience was one of the best I had ever had, from daily field immersion trips to get hands on with the material we were learning to the group trips we took to learn about the history, I can not express enough how amazing this was for my education. The professors were highly knowledgable and experts in their perspective field of study, which really allowed us to thrive and learn far beyond a traditional class. I can not thank Dr. Follo and the staff at the CIEE Rome Campus enough for the experience and memories for life. This is truly an astonishing experience for anyone and I recommend it to all who are thinking about going abroad.

It can not. It was amazing all around.

Emily

All around amazing experience!

I loved being a part of CIEE Rome! From the minute we arrived, the program directors and staff were sweet and helpful, and really did their best to help us get acquainted with our new home. The smaller size of the program allowed all of us to build great relationships with our professors, directors and other students. The program included lots of excursions around Rome, and even trips to other cities in Italy. My favorite part was the excursions that were part of the courses that I took because I was able to see all of the Vatican City and most of Rome just by going to class! My second favorite part was being able to walk around and explore Rome. My classes were about a 10 minute walk from where I lived, so I was able to take different ways to and from class to explore the neighborhood I was living in. This whole experience gave me a new sense of independence and bravery. I felt safe here to explore on my own and figure things out for myself. My advice to any future participants is to do something you've never done every chance you get, and really take advantage of this opportunity to see the world!!

I loved everything about this program and I think it was run very well. My only issue that I had when I was in Rome was that it was pretty expensive to get to a from the airport when I was traveling outside of Italy. I think it would be very helpful for students if there were some sort of cheap airport transportation figured out for them in advance, but I do understand that that can be difficult! The early morning flights were the ones that were particularly difficult to get to the airport for, because only 1 bus ran that early.

Kelly
Fredericksburg, VA

Amazing Study Abroad Program

My experience in CIEE's Rome institute was incredible. Rome is one of the safest cities in Europe, in fact, I felt much safer there than in my suburban neighborhood in America. The housing accommodation was clean, stylish, and comfortable. However, what makes CIEE's Rome Campus truly special is its staff. The staff was overwhelmingly positive and helpful. They truly made me feel at home in one of the world's most ancient cities. I will always be grateful to CIEE for giving me a once in a lifetime experience.

Caty
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Couldn't of asked for a better internship experience!

I participated in CIEE's Global Internship (GLINT) program in Rome and I can't say enough good things about it! CIEE set me up to intern with a company that I loved and really helped me take the steps towards finding out what I really wanted to do with my life. It was definitely an opportunity I would not have found in the United States and I thank god for CIEE being there to find it for me! CIEE from the beginning was so helpful, they arranged all my living and working arrangements, so I wouldn't have to worry or stress and were there to provide answers and solutions to all questions or problems I experienced. The best part of CIEE, for me, was the extra trips they took us on. Every other weekend we took a trip that, honestly, I would not have done on my own and I can't praise these trips enough because they were amazing! CIEE staff took us themselves to places and gave us experiences we could not have had without them! If I was not graduating, I would apply for another program with CIEE in a heartbeat. I experienced multiple different study abroad programs and CIEE was, by far, the best!

Kelly
New Jersey, USA
Temple University

Rome Open Campus

CIEE is an amazing program! The entire staff emphasizes that Rome is a unique cultural experience for the student, and the curriculum is built around this principle. Between the expertly crafted excursions and trips and the interactive classes, I cannot speak my praises enough. CIEE was not just taking a class in another country, it was an experience that allowed me to immerse myself within Italian culture and tradition. I learned so much about Italy, art, and myself through program.
I took an Art History course, and each interactive and hands-on class gave unique insight into the history, culture, and art of Rome. We learned about the pieces of art right in front of the original masterpieces, which surely beats sitting in a classroom.
The staff at the Global Institute is responsive and attentive, available for any reason and always full of insight and guidance. They understood just how amazing yet overwhelming the program could be, and were able to guide each student through it with carefully curated activities.
I especially appreciated the time allotted for personal travel and adventure. My favorite thing to do was just explore Rome and get lost within the history and architecture of the beautiful eternal city.
CIEE was an experience I will never forget. I learned more than I ever thought possible, and fell in love with a new place. I would recommend the program to anyone.

Nadya

Best Semester Ever!!

My study abroad experience was better than I could have ever imagined, truly a life-changing experience. This is all true thanks to CIEE Open Campus Rome and its staff.

The institute's center was ideally located in Prati, a safe neighborhood within walking distance to most of the city (great for exploring after class). The best part about CIEE Rome was the staff. From the directors to the teachers, they were all well-rounded, full of knowledge and excited to share that knowledge with us. They truly cared about our experience, being open to new ideas and always trying to help in any way.

The program provided so many unique and fun opportunities to learn about Italy and its culture. My favorite part about the classes was that many were on-site such as visiting museums like the Colosseum, touring churches like the Vatican's St. Peter's Basilica, and visiting many other places around Rome. Additionally each week students could participate in activities, for example, pasta making, watching soccer, or going to the opera. I loved the gelato making class (we even got free gelato)!

All in all, I am so thankful for this life-changing experience and truly having the best semester ever!

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world