CISabroad - Summer on the Italian Coast

Imagine waking up to the scent of lemon, orange, and olive groves -- the sound of bells clinking together from behind the piazza, the Mediterranean splashing against the bluffs, or the buzz of the small seaside city of Sorrento gently drifting through your window. A summer in Southern Italy means trekking the Amalfi Coast, taking a day-trip to the sun-stained villas of Belvedere of Tragara, or exploring the scorched earth of Mt. Vesuvius. During your stay in Sorrento you will be enrolled at the Sant'Anna Institute, which encourages its students to become immersed in their community during their time abroad. Summer on the Italian Coast, Sorrento offers two 5-week sessions. We will work with you to find a semester that fits your study abroad schedule.

• Numerous beaches and coves at your fingertips
  • Easy access to both the northern cities of Florence and Rome
  • Miles of hiking and trekking trails along the Amalfi Coast
  • Option to combine Session 1 & 2 for 12 total credits
  • Classrooms overlooking the fishing village of Marina Grande

Cara

Summer on the Amalfi Coast

I went into this experience planning on going to Greece. I had everything scheduled, and then was informed that they ended up dropping the photography class that I was very anxious to take. I then went into a mind set of just looking through programs that offered photography, and came across Sorrento. I had actually never heard of Sorrento before finding out about the program and doing my research. I agreed and signed up, which ended up being one of the best decisions I have ever made. Growing up, I wasn't even keen on spending the night at my friends houses, much less spending weeks somewhere foreign, but I decided it was time to experience something other than the midwest. No one from my university joined me, I didn't know anyone in the program, and I flew out there alone. 5,000+ miles away from anything that I was comfortable with for 5 weeks, and by the time my weeks were up, I didn't want to leave. The people, the culture, the food, and the scenery were indescribable. The university/learning environment was awesome and I learned more in those 5 weeks than some of my semester programs. We were also fortunate to live in apartments around town as apposed to the dorms, which really gave us the full living experience. The group of American students who were in the same area studying/interning ending up being some of the most amazing people I had ever met. I had made life long friends, that I still talk to a year later, in that hectic 5 week period. We were all in the same mindset to do anything and everything that we could with each day that we had in that beautiful place. I found people who were willing to travel, hike, experience the night life with, jump off cliffs, and I even found two people crazy enough to ride a bus for 4 hours to jump out of a plane at over 14,000 feet! Free-falling along the Amalfi Coast is an experience that I wish I could give to everyone, because you never experience life more until it is happening right in front of you. Along with my external experiences, I couldn't even begin to justly explain what I learned about myself while there. I am more driven to experience life, confident in myself and who I am, and socially equipped to handle any situation just because of my experiences abroad. My only tip for people who would even consider going abroad is to just do it. It is scary and incredibly stressful leading up to the experience, but if you just continue to see that this will be the most amazing learning experience you will ever have, you will be just fine. Do your research about the area before you go, learn some of the language beforehand (especially things that would help in an emergency), be incredibly social and open to the people around you, and experience everything that you can while you are there. The time will fly by incredibly fast and then you will have to return home. Take risks, but don't do anything stupid enough to get you into big trouble. Look out for those around you and they will look out for you. Try all the foods, even the weird looking ones because those might end up being the most delicious. Make friends within the local community, because as easy as it is to relate to the Americans that are there with you, it means so much more to the locals if you attempt to make a connection with them. Most of all, just have fun and be your most authentic you. I promise it will be a blast.

I really don't have a lot of things that I would have changed about this trip. There was someone from our local university or travel organization that was always there to help when it was needed. I think the only thing that I would have changed is choosing the 10 week program and not the 5 week program.
Madison

Summer in Sorrento

Sorrento was an absolutely incredible experience, as soon as I arrived I felt at home. The cultural emersion made me feel completely at ease in another country, and I was at a good place in Italy to travel around. The academics are unique and personalized, but the workload can be intense depending on the class- making it difficult to travel freely. A lot of people take weekend trips around Italy, for example to Rome, Florence, Positano, and Venice. This trip gives you a lot of freedom and independence to explore, but the local area feels very safe and touristy. If you venture farther out than Sorrento, you'll definitely want to bring someone else with you. However, I noticed on my trip that everyone is in the same mindset and it's very easy to make friends here. I loved this experience so much and would highly recommend it.

The webpage doesn't do a great job of outlining the fees ahead of time, the program does not cover any food costs except for maybe 3 special event meals. They could also set the schedule of classes to allow for longer weekends, so people could take weekend trips and not have to worry about homework.
Jazmine

Summer on the Italian Coast

My introduction to the city of Sorrento itself was incredible, being so close to Naples allowed me to travel to 5 different countries 15 different cities and 1 island, during my 7 weeks. That experience alone was an education. However, I was there to study the history of the Italian American mafia, it educated me on the economic and systematic issue of such organized crime. My favorite place was actually right there in Sorrento called Regina Giovanna, it's a cliff view with absolutely nothing in-between you and the horizon, you are on the literal edge of Italy and it is the most humbling, beautiful, and breathtaking experience. I miss it every single day.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...