IES Abroad Rome Summer – Language & Culture

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, IES Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Trevi Fountain
A student taking a cooking class
Classrooms in IES Abroad Center in Rome
Classrooms in IES Abroad Center in Rome
Study abroad in Rome with IES Abroad!

Spend your summer living and learning in Rome, as you practice your Italian and immerse yourself inthe local culture. Summer is the perfect time to explore the “Eternal City” and all it has to offer--you will have the chance to practice your language skills with locals, browse the city’s outdoor markets, and explore ancient monuments. The opportunities are endless!

Our Rome Summer Language & Culture Program offers a variety of language courses, ranging from beginning to advanced, taught by expert faculty trained in second language acquisition. Practice all four skills (speaking, reading, listening, and writing) while maintaining the main emphasis on oral production. During your time in Rome, you won't just speak the language--you'll learn what makes the Italian culture one of a kind.

Ready to start your Roman educational adventure? Apply today.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

md5987

A great experience

IES Rome was great. Primarily, the IES center is located directly acorss from Castel Sant'Angelo, and IES students are housed in apartments all over the city. IES students can choose to be housed in either homestays or apartments, and I chose to live in an apartment. I ended up sharing a bedroom with a local Italian student, and she became a great friend and resource while living in Rome.

I come from an Italian-American family but had very little experience studying the language in a formal setting, and my language skills improved dramatically while abroad. IES is great in that it is possible to take classes entirely taught in Italian that are designed for non-Italian natives, which I found challenging and fun. IES really takes advantage of its key location in Rome, and every class goes on various field studies throughout the semester. In my classes, I went to important museums, government buildings, and various theatrical productions throughout the city that I otherwise would not have been able to see.

I also interned while in Rome, and it was wonderful. I only spoke Italian in the office, and my work translating only improved my Italian more. I am definitely accustomed to a full schedule at my university in America, and interning kept me busy and immersed in Italian culture, while giving me international work experience to add to my resume.

Overall, I would definitely recommend IES Rome. The center staff are wonderful and extremely helpful, and overall the professors were excellent. Rome is a chaotic city and can be extremely overwhelming, but IES's smaller community makes the experience that much more manageable.