Jamaica Volunteer Programs in Kingston

Take learning outside the classroom and discover a whole new world!

Help volunteer while teaching children in Kingston, Jamaica -- one of Jamaica's most beautiful cities.

Working in schools will local children will help educate the community, while allowing you to learn about the food, language and culture in Jamaica. Volunteer opportunities in Jamaica are available for you to work in three types of schools. When volunteering, you will provide individual attention and assistance to children from challenging circumstances and to those who have special needs. There are pre-schools for the little ones ages 3– 6, Primary Schools for the 6 – 12 year olds and Secondary schools for the age groups 12 – 17. Class sizes will vary from class to class but will be approximately 35 – 40 students.

• Volunteer with school children
  • Explore beautiful sites throughout Kingston
  • Received fantastic historical lesson
  • Enjoy famous Jamaican cuisine

Seth

ACES 298 in Jamaica

The experience was an incredibly fun thing to do for the class, and was very educational. The staff were very kind and personable, and the Smokey Vale Manor was absolutely lovely. We were served Jamaican food every day at the manor, and given lessons on Jamaican culture with any questions we had answered by the very nice and personable staff. They accompanied us on our trips, making sure we got where we needed to go, giving us advice and tips, and pointing out nuances of what we saw and did.

Trey

Jamaican Study Review

Overall, the experience was very interesting and exciting. There were many once in a lifetime opportunities to see things that not every traveler gets to see. We were lead everyday by multiple staff members and were carried from each destination in nice air conditioned buses. We followed closely to the busy schedule which allowed us to get the most out of each day of participation. I enjoyed my experience and would suggest it to anyone who wishes to learn about life in Jamaica.

Bianca

Great

The program was an great experience, i learned a lot about the culture. My favourite thing about the trip was the food, i got to taste a lot of great food. The jerk chicken we have in America is a little different then what i had here. I also like our bus rides we took. On the bus ride i was able to see different parts of the country. I was also able to see all the kids going to school. I wish the weather was a little better, but it was still better than what we have in Illinois.

Have a different food every night.
Austin

Trip to Jamaica

Has been a great experience that I would recommend to others. It has been a very educational and fun experience for me and my classmates. I have especially enjoyed seeing all the different social classes of Jamaica and not just seeing the resort aspect of the island. It has been a great experience for me and has made me get out of my comfort zone by trying new foods and dancing in the Jamaican style. I am very thankful for the experience and it is something that I will always remember,

I do not have any suggestions, I felt that it was a well planned out trip.
Bella

Trip to Jamaica

My experience at Smokey Manor was great! Travelling to a different country can be daunting, but the ladies and gentlemen at Smokey Manor gave me comfort and confidence in my stay. At one point, I even got sick and had to stay in bed for the day instead of exploring with the group and the staff took great care of me. The men and women of Smokey Manor also took so much pride in their culture and took the time to share with us bits and pieces of their customs. Overall, it was an educationally-enhancing and friendly experience!

N/A
Daisy

Good experience

I had an overall great experience this past couple of days. It was great to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. An example of getting out of my comfort zone is trying new foods. I also enjoyed being able to spend time with others that also stayed at Smokey Manor. I am very grateful for the staff because they tried very hard to accommodate everything to what we enjoyed. My favorite part was the beach

More things to do in the house
Izma

Jamaica

I think that this program has helped me learn more about Jamaican culture. For example, I have learned that death is not really a sad thing but looked upon a transition into a new life. I have also learned about different agricultural practices that take place here and its effects. We those practices I have noticed that there are things that are similar and things that are different from the U.S. I have also come to learn about the different economic challenges that Jamaica faces.

I think maybe adding more sites to go to. For example this year we were scheduled to attend a museum but were not able to so it would be best if we got it on the schedule.
Elizabeth

Getting to Know Jamaica

This experience was amazing. My classmates and I were able to experience not only Jamaica but also its people. By staying at smokey manor, I was able to interact with so many great people of Jamaica. We were not only well taken care of but also given the opportunity to learn dance moves that are typical of people our age. We also 2 meals a day at the house which was a great way to try new things and take a "culinary adventure." I would recommend this to anyone who wants to experience Jamaica.

I really enjoyed all aspects of this program.
Kristen

Great

The staff was wonderful and so helpful whenever I needed anything! The food was great and they made sure to include Jamaican culture into our experiences. I will definitely take back a piece of Jamaican culture when I go home. The house was always nice and upkept with everything clean and in order. The staff was always ready to handle whatever situation might arise and solve the problem quickly. I highly recommend staying with Jamaica Volunteer Programs in Smokey Manor!

Madison

Madison's Point of View

Overall, I thought that the overall effort of the staff that was involved with our trip and helping us along the way was excellent. We really enjoyed getting to know each person at Smoky Manor, as they treated us with respect and helped us to get excited about the trip. The things that I feel that our group struggled with was sometimes trying the food. I thought the chef did an amazing job of creating Jamaican meals for us and that it was just hard for us to adjust so quickly. I was proud of our group for attempting to try new things, but at times we wished there were other options. When a lot of us have been out of the states before, there were more Americanized options since we might have been at resorts or other places where there was more flexibility. I thought there was a lot of variety of the activities we did and each person in our group had favorites of what we did. We learned a lot about a variety of topics, some within agriculture and some outside of it, which was good for us to expand our horizons. My favorite part of the trip was probably touring the Craighton Estate and getting to sample Blue Mountain Coffee. Additionally, I was nervous for Port Royal because I wasn't a huge history person but the tour guide definitely made it interesting.

Possibly renovated bathrooms with better water pressure and more mirror space in the rooms.
Cassidy

Cassidy's Point of View

It was very clear that the staff was there to make sure the guests were comfortable. Everyone was friendly and we had no problems. The whole house was very clean and the whole trip was an amazing experience overall. I feel that I really got a good look at what the Jamaican culture is like between the interactions with new people everyday to the new foods I was exposed to. My favorite part of the trip was when we went to the Blue Mountain Estate. Everyone was very informative and was always willing to answer your questions so that you were able to really understand what you were learning.

I would recommend this program to everyone without hesitation.

Josie

Smokeyvale - Josie's Point of View

I loved the guided tours that we went on and the staff here was wonderful! I also appreciated how they prepared meals for us daily ensuring that we got to try local cuisine instead of the restaurants that we know and love. The extra activities at night were also extremely fun and informational! I felt very safe having a security guard outside each night we were sleeping, and locks on the doors. Having hot water everyday was hard to get but that is just a privilege that we get in the states and that I'm used to. They were also very flexible with people who have food restrictions like being a vegetarian.

Would definitely recommend to other people!

Nothing that I know!
Brittany

Smokey Manor Jamaica ICA

This experience has been one I will never forget. Maureen and her staff at Smokey Manor offer the best hospitality. Some highlights of this trip include: volunteering at a local kindergarten school, visiting the Blue Mountain Coffee fields, spending the afternoon at a popular local beach, and eating the most delicious, flavor-filled food. If a raw, authentic, fun and knowledge filled experience is the goal, come stay at Smokey Manor and get immersed in true Jamaican culture in the heart of Kingston.

This program is wonderful.
john

Jamaican Review

I loved seeing the true heart of Jamaica instead of just a resort location. I got to truly experience how Jamaica lives and breathers it was a truly amazing experience. I got to see the traditional camp of the maroons the very first free Jamaicans. I also got to experience the Bob Marley museum which was such an awesome experience because I got to stand where the legend himself lived and stood. And lastly I got to live in such a beautiful house staffed with such lovely amazing people who really made the whole trip an amazing experience.

Kathryn

Jamaica ICA

This trip was absolutely incredible! Going into it, I didn't know how much I would learn from this experience. In this short period of time, we got to learn about Jamaican cuisine and cooking styles, volunteer with school children, see beautiful sites, and received fantastic historical lessons. Spending the day with Maroons allowed us to truly learn about Jamaican history and culture, and we got to shop in the market & swim in a beautiful blue river! Additionally, I now know more about coffee than I ever knew I could know! Fantastic experience overall, it went by too quickly.

It could be longer!!

About Jamaica Volunteer Programs

We identify and offer programs where travellers can volunteer, intern or study abroad while immersing in the ‘Real’ Jamaican culture at affordable prices.

When you book with us you will be treated as if you are a relative visiting from overseas and...