CIEE Arts + Sciences in Tokyo, Japan

CIEE Arts + Sciences in Tokyo, Japan

Old and new, traditional and ultra-modern: Japan is a country of amazing and exciting contrasts. Tokyo, the economic, technical, and political hub of the country, is one of the world’s most vibrant and fascinating capitals—and a fashionista's and gastronome's delight! With homestay options, cultural activities, and exceptional cross-cultural and language training, you can pursue your academic interests while immersing yourself in a challenging, enriching international experience.

Study abroad in Japan and you will:

- Study Japanese in language classes at all levels and choose from a wide range of other courses taught in English with both Japanese and international students
- Live with a Japanese family, or in a dorm with young professionals, Japanese and international students
- Participate in a contemporary and traditional cultural activity program, including regional site visits, historical tours, hands-on workshops, and a weekend excursion to Hiroshima

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Theology
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Yes it does! You can see the pricing options for yearlong programs here:

Kevin

A ride of a life time

One of the best experience ever. Studying abroad 3 times, I would say Tokyo has been the most fun and eye opening. The program itself is great, they are there to support you and help you with what ever you need, they make the extra mile to make sure you are safe and enjoying your experience in Tokyo. CIEE staff is one of the best around and they personally try to get to know you as a student and person. CIEE you are truly the best!
Tokyo is such an amazing city to visit and to live there for 4 months has been a dream come true. I recommend everyone who is questioning whether or not to study in Tokyo to take the leap of faith. The city is welcoming!
The academics however could be a bit better. Sophia University is a great school but may not be what many students from a foreign country is use to. Faculty can be a bit more organized and lectures can be more clear. There was a lot of self teaching and not much help and support from the school itself. The language class was very difficult and demanding but really rewarding. The professors for the language classes are use to teaching foreign students and have so much passion in teaching students who want to learn Japanese.
Homestay or dorm, either experience is a fun and meaningful one. I did home stay and was a bit challenging for me but over the 4 months I learned so much from my host family and they contributed so much to my experience.
The city and country has so much to do, you will never be bored. I miss Japan already and I only left about three weeks ago!

The academics can be a lot better. School and the scheduling was a major problem in the beginning for many students as there were limited classes and limited time slots for students to choose from. For students who don't really have any flexibility in their academic path/ schedule, it may be a bit difficult to get classes to fulfill requirements. As with the process of choosing homestay or dorm. Very little details were given and not much guidance in what to choose. It would be insightful for new students to learn about experience with homestays and dorms from past students.

Kevin

Adventure of a lifetime

CIEE sets you up to have a great experience in such amazing country. They give you a home base to plan your grand adventures through the wonderland that is Japan. I traveled throughout Japan's major cities and experienced Japanese culture in all different parts of Japan. I was able to embrace a different education system and try exotic new foods. I did so much in one semester but my all time favorite memory was scaling Fuji san ( Mt.Fuji ) with my friends. I was able to climb to top in time for a epic awe-inspiring sunrise it was such amazing time. One tip I would give is make friends with Japanese students it will help with your language skills plus they are funny and extremely nice and make great friends.I just recently had my friend from Tokyo come visit me in Boston and we had so much fun. I definitely recommended this program anyone that wants amazing study Abroad experienced. I will definitely be looking for a job in the future that revolves around Japan.

Sokvanna
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Love Tokyo

Everything in Tokyo is so convenient for example trains, schools, and most importantly food. I met some of my best friends in this program. Three years later they are still my closest friends even after the program ended. This program taught me a lot about Japan and about life in general. Great staff, awesome school, and a wonderful adventure. I now live and work in Japan, it's been one great of a ride so far. I recommend this program to anyone seeking to explore a new country, you won't regret it!

Bigger Dorm room.

Tomomi
Princeton, New Jersey

The best decision I've ever made

I am born and raised in the United States with a strong Japanese influence from my parents. I also attended Japanese School since kindergarten to high school and consider myself fluent in Japanese. On top of that, my family lives in Japan and I often visit them during vacation. Therefore, for the first 2 years of college, I was reluctant to go to study abroad since it felt like I would be "cheating" the system. Even when I landed in Tokyo to begin this journey, I was unsure if I had made the right decision. But the CIEE Tokyo staff welcomed me as if they could read my mind with a warm smile and helped me ease into studying abroad seamlessly. The staff here are hard working, caring, and are always available for help and support. The program also provides students with tickets to various events around Tokyo throughout the semester, and I personally took advantage of this and filled my weekends up and to push myself to get out.

There are, obviously, different shapes and forms of studying abroad, and it depends on what the individual is looking for. However, this program will help you make your "study abroad dreams" come true with their flexibility and support.

I made life-time friends, uncountable number of memories, and most importantly, fulfilled my childhood dreams. I would, with no doubt, recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying abroad in Tokyo within a heartbeat!

Keep up the amazing work!

Danny
Shizuoka, Japan
University of New England

Life changing experience

The CIEE program was a worthwhile experience. It opened my eyes to a totally new world. the program helped me shaped my future. CIEE gave us opportunities to travel to different parts of Japan. We went to Kamakura and Hiroshima during the semester. There was plenty of time to hang with our new friends both local people from Tokyo/Sophia University and other CIEE students, bond with our host families, and independent travel. I made life long friends studying abroad with CIEE. And I still keep up to date with the staff in Tokyo. I joined different clubs in the University and interact with Japanese students, but also relaxed in the CIEE office with other CIEE students. Tokyo has everything you need. Everyday was an adventure. From shopping, socializing, music, parties, traveling, sports, movies, dancing, and random encounters with strangers, not one day was wasted.

Because of CIEE, I currently reside in Japan as a teacher. It couldn't have been possible with the support of the CIEE staff. They helped me and the other exchange students 110%. The staff supports their students from the very beginning. From pre-departure and orientation to the closing ceremony. There were many orientations that may have been to excessive to some people, but it is important for those who are traveling abroad for the very first time. This experience changed my life and learned more about myself. I will never forget how 2013 became the biggest turning point in my life.

Shorten the Orientation on cultural understanding. Its important but it does drag on. I clearly remember sitting in a room for such a long time with everyone else. Many people were annoyed so they weren't listening after the first 20 minutes or so. Especially being in Tokyo, people are anxious to explore once they arrive. I think it can greatly be approved if it was split into groups with a sempai leader running a group discussion on it in a cafe or park instead of watching an hour long powerpoint in a classroom.

ppkelly
New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers University

CIEE Tokyo spring semester program - loved it!

I did a study abroad program in Sophia University spring 2010 and I have to say it was absolutely amazing! There are options to dorm or home-stay and I chose to hom-stay since I thought it would be a great way to improve language (although I've heard complaints that some families tend to speak English to the exchange students so it defeats the purpose). Although I'm not going to lie that luck is quite important when it comes to host family assignment. My host family were great (yess!) - they were really friendly and chill, so if I needed to come home late or go on trips I just had to text them in advanced. And I still remember the delicious Japanese food waiting for me everyday after school :3. Speaking of food, I thought it definitely was one of the best part of the experience. The school is located at a very convenient location (really close to shinjuku) so lots of places to eat for lunch/dinner. And the cafeteria at school will always be a good backup for yummy yet cost-efficient Japanese lunch!
The school itself is one of the more prestigious universities in Japan so the academics were great overall even compared to US. Except for the mandatory Japanese language course, everything else is taught in English and there is a good range of courses to choose from depending on your interests/needs. Although the amount of courses are limited and may not be exactly what you're looking for sometimes. The school is also known for its English program so there are a lot of Japanese English speakers. One drawback is that if you're not comfortable hanging out with non-English speakers, it might be hard for you to improve your language. Many of us just attended the school clubs and circles to make local Japanese friends, and these club activities/friends are in fact the most crucial part of Japanese college/social life. I highly recommend joining one or two so it's not like you went on a 4-month vacation in Tokyo with your American friends without even knowing what real Japanese food tastes like.
The program staff were helpful overall as they do try to help make the most out of everyone's experience. There were weekend excursions to Kyoto and Hiroshima too depending on your length of stay. Since I stayed for a semester we went to Hiroshima and it was very educational and raised awareness and enriched our knowledge about the atomic bomb and local culture/history. Another thing is that the program fee was pretty high if you don't have financial aids/scholarships. But I think that's an understandable tradeoff for having any good experience.
Japan is known to be one of the countries with the lowest crime rates but I'm not saying it's guaranteed that everywhere is safe. However I've never personally experienced nor heard any bad stories in terms of safety issue. Some of us were even able to recover our lost wallets and other valuable items from the locals.
My only complaint would be the long commute each day. Downtown Tokyo is very expensive to live in so most residential areas are 1 hr or more away from where our school was. It does get tiring sometimes after a long day and you just want to go back and sleep. But you'll still have to go through the train/bus rides to get back. And one stereotype that I verified to be true is that Japanese subways ARE extremely crowded during rush hour and you'll just have to deal with it. However, it's not the worst thing in the world as long as you're not hungover.. I might sound weird but I kind of miss the crowded subways rides. And I still remember how amazed I was when I first saw that every single person on the platform just automatically formed lines when the trains approach so people can come out first then they would get in.
I had a great time overall and learned a lot about the country, the culture and even myself. I'm sure there are people who didn't have as amazing of a time for various reasons but it really depends on how you take it. It wouldn't be great anywhere if you're not willing to try and embrace the culture/differences when you're in a foreign country - no matter how nice your study abroad program is. So it is dependent on individuals but I think bottom line, this is a very good program based on the above facts. Of course, it's definitely wise to do enough research and compare horizontally to decide which program best fits your interest.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world