IES Abroad Tokyo Summer

By IES Abroad   Reviews (5)   94% Rating

As one of the world’s largest metropolitan areas, Tokyo and its environs will challenge you to look at the world differently. Mastering public transportation, trying exotic foods, encountering the maximum urban environment that surrounds carefully nurtured gardens and parks, experiencing a lifestyle that combines fast-paced modernity with age-old traditions – all of these will expand your view of the world and offer insights into your own reality.

This program is excellent for serious students at all levels who seek to study Japanese language in an intensive 6-credit course and delve into an exciting exploration of Japanese culture.

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
0.00
Cost Description
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details: www.IESabroad.org/tokyo
Tokyo

After classes, which are Monday-Friday 8:30am-12pm, you are free to do as you like. There are a couple field trips organized by IES Abroad, only a few of which are mandatory. So, if you prefer to pass...

Rating Values

Maysam
Doha, Qatar
Northwestern University

I'd Do It All Over Again!

Overall

I was a student for IES Abroad's Tokyo Summer program this summer (2016) and it was the best experience of my life! I'd do it all over again if I could. I honestly could not think of a single flaw about the program!

Everything from the first day until the last made me feel like I made the right decision about which program I should participate in. The placement test were very accurate in putting the students where they belongs academically. My language teacher was great, very understanding, and patient, as were all the EPALS and staff members. I learnt a lot and wouldn't hesitate to 10/10 recommend this program in terms of academics.

As a Muslim Arab, naturally, one thing that I was worried about when I started the program was discrimination of my background. However, there was never a moment where I had to face any of that. I quickly realized that the group of students I was with was very international. There were many people from different backgrounds, which I loved. I learnt a lot not only about Japan but also about other cultures from the students I was with. I think that is one advantage of studying abroad.

I am so thankful that this program is set in Tokyo, there are so many things to do and see! The location of the housing was in the perfect location. Sangubashi station is a 5 minute walk away, which makes it very easy to commute to many of the hotspots. There are many restaurants and shops nearby. The location is a lovely place that I would enjoy even just walking around!

I wouldn't think twice about doing this program again! Thank you IES Abroad!

Xiaoxuan
China
Pennsylvania State University

Super Satisfied with IES Tokyo

Overall

I love the experience in Tokyo this Summer and I enjoyed it with IES program so much. They are really considerate from every aspect, including pre-departure meetings and assistants and staffs that are willing to help you at any time during your staying in Tokyo. I loved how they would pair you up with a host family that suits your and their interests. I wrote that I practiced Aikido for a year and would like to experience Japanese martial arts. And they paired me with a Karate family. My host father, older brother and little brother all practice Karate for over 10 years. And I got the chance to observe how they take Karate tests in Japan. It was totally a precious experience for me. I really saw that they prepared well for every event. I really love how they tried their best to make sure students having the best experience in Japan. Here I highly recommend IES program Tokyo with all of you.

Ryan
Jacksonville, Florida
Florida Gulf Coast University

An Amazing Experience

Overall

Overall, this was an excellent study abroad, and I would definitely do it again. The best part is that you're in the heart of Tokyo, which is great, but a little costly on daily expenses. The housing rooms are a little dated and VERY small, so pack light. Overall it's a nice setup, and you're conveniently located a few minutes from the classrooms in the main building, as well as an on-site convenience store that you will learn to love. Public transportation is extremely convenient, you'll most likely be using it every day, but make sure to budget for it. The staff and teachers are excellent, and are happy to help with any issues you are having. Tokyo overall is one of the most amazing cities in the world, and you're so close to so many fun things to see and do. Don't let the language barrier intimidate you, and get out of your comfort zone to get to know as many people as you can; you'll be glad you did. In short, if you are looking for a summer Japan program, I highly recommend this one. Also, there are field trips and a homestay included in the study abroad, DO THEM, they were one of the best parts of the experience.

Bigger rooms in housing, and some more clarity on some of the pre-departure information. But you can always call the IES office to get answers to any of your questions.
Heather
Austin, Texas
University of Texas- Austin

Tokyo: Learning inside the classroom and even more outside

Overall

I really enjoyed my daily life in Tokyo with IES. In the mornings from Monday to Friday we had class from 8:45 to noon. Afterward, many of us explore different parts of Tokyo everyday. The freedom in the free time was the highlight of the trip. The staff were students who had participated in an IES Japan program previously and therefore they were really helpful with finding cool places. Day to day class activities included speaking, reading, and writing in Japanese. We would also have special assignments such as interviewing a Japanese person, or cooking with local Japanese students. Homework usually only took about one to two hours, with extra hours in preparation for the two tests. One of the highlights was how IES arranged a weekend homestay in a more rural area of Japan. The staff even looks carefully at the students' and the Japanese families' interests when matching up people for the homestay. Usually during the weekends people would plan mini-trips to a nearby city or we would participate in an IES field trip to a historical or culturally significant site a few hours from Tokyo. In addition to this, there were four optional small field trips within Tokyo and we were able to choose three to participate in. I personally enjoyed going to the Ghibli Museum and making food in Asakusa. A difficulty I encountered was trying to find the motivation to speak more Japanese when I was surrounded by English speakers. I know this sounds ironic, but it is very tempting to just speak your more convenient language and stick to those who can as well. There is not a language commitment requirement, although it was highly encouraged to speak as much Japanese daily as we could, and the classes we took were not with other Japanese students. IES did have a conversational Japanese language partner pairing though with students from Kanda University who were interested in improving their English. That made it easy to make close Japanese friends in only the span of 6 weeks. Many of us would meet up with our conversation partners, or go in a big group, after class. Another difficulty, if you've read anything about Tokyo, is the price of food and cost of living in general. IES does provide some coupons that you can use at two cafes in the Olympic center complex, but I could only eat so many sandwiches in a summer. The Olympic Center is a complex of a few buildings and some dorms (be warned, the dorm rooms are small). We stayed in the dorms and took classes in the buildings within the complex. Many diverse groups came to the Olympic Center, but I had to go out of my way to interact with them. The location of the Olympic Center itself is amazing. It's situated right next to the giant Yoyogi park, a 20 minute walk to Harajuku, and a 10 minute train commute to Shinjuku. There are also some nice restaurants and the indispensable convenient stores in the surrounding the area.

If I had to change one thing about this program it would be the length of time. 6 weeks went by so fast. I wanted to speak more Japanese with Japanese people, but between assignments and weekend trips, the time went by in no time. I think an 8 week summer program would have been more ideal.
AnneliseG
Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

Summer in Tokyo

Overall

IES's Tokyo program was a great first experience in Japan for me. It had just the right amount of the familiar (for example, living in dorms with other college students) with the new and unexpected (staying with a host family for one weekend, venturing out into the city alone).

In terms of academics, we covered the equivalent of one semester's work in six weeks. Although class could sometimes feel long, we generally had limited homework and therefore plenty to time to explore Tokyo.

For the majority of the program, we stayed in the National Youth Olympic Center, which is located next to Yoyogi Kouen. It was convenient to be able to stay in dorms a mere five minute walk from where language classes were held, and there were cafes and a conbini in the Center as well.

By the end of the program I realized that I should have chosen a more academically intense and language-immersive program because I came to really friggle fragging love Japan and wanted to accelerate my studies. Also, some of the other students in the program had questionable motivates for coming to Japan (finding a wife???) and made the experience less pleasant. Finally, I would have liked`to spend more time conversing with native speakers. Often, I had to go out into the city alone before I could practice my Japanese with a native speaker.

IES Abroad offers 120+ programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to go abroad—especially in a fun, safe, and superior academic and cultural environment.

From our headquarters in Chicago to our 35 locations and the staff on-site, we all work toward the common goal of providing mind-bending, life-changing, opinion-altering study abroad opportunities.

We’re not ashamed to admit we’re a little bit obsessed with study abroad.

Community Photos: