CIS Abroad - Semester in Japan - Kyoto University of Foreign Studies

Japanese building on a hill with mountains behind
Japanese building on a hill with mountains behind

Become immersed in a new world with the Semester in Japan program. In a city whose population is 10% college students, Kyoto is considered to be Japan's cultural capital. With a wide course selection, further your studies while feeding your curiosities: take a stroll down the Path of Philosophy, experience the buzzing energy pulsing through Downtown Kyoto, or get lost in the mountain-top temples of the Southeast. Through one or two 14-week semesters you can hope to gain a global perspective in the "City of Ten Thousand Shrines".

• Live in a young, active city where 10% of the population are college students
  • Explore new and old traditions in the "cultural capital" of Japan
  • Learn Japanese, one of the worlds most important languages, in an immersive setting
  • Some of the most delicious food in the world
  • Easy access to cities like Osaka, Kobe, and Nara

CISabroad Scholarships
CISabroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

70% of all CISabroad students receive scholarships, grants, or discounts to study abroad. We're unapologetically committed to increasing access to international education for all students.

$250 - $500

Jenny

My Time in Kyoto

I chose CISabroad because this program looked amazing and my school would only allow two people through the school. I did the program with my bestie Krystal and throughout the process we were guided by one of the advisors. CISabroad is very helpful and get back to you immediately. I enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to worry about housing and if I had any concerns there are people to help you. I had such a great time in Kyoto and I made so many friends in the University as well as the program! There are a lot of things to do in Kyoto like going to the Pokemon center or getting dinner at an Nepalese restaurant. I went to the Nepalese restaurant so many times and I highly recommend it, especially if CISabroad puts you in the Rapport residence because its a 5 minute walk from there. CISabroad provided fun activities for us to do and if I hadn't done this program I would miss out on some special spots in the Kansai region.

Ben

My Time in Kyoto

I studied at Kyoto University of Foreign Studies in Kyoto Japan. During my time there, CIS helped with anything and everything I needed. If they couldn't help, then they found the people that could. The school itself was the best I've ever attended. The facilities were up to date, the staff were helpful, the teachers were patient and knowledgeable. The dorms that I was placed in were more like small apartments, complete with their own bathroom and kitchenette. They were small, but very comfortable. As for fun time, there was a lot to do. There were plenty of things to discover, plus CIS prepared their own excursions for us. I met many different people, natives and foreigners alike, and made a lot of great friends. Overall, this was singlehandedly the best experience I've had, and I look forward to the spring semester.

Krystal

Fall Semester In Japan

This program was a lifesaver! My university requires Japanese major students to study abroad for at least one semester, however, I learned that due to complications that they would be only allowing two students to go through the school. Since my best friend Jenny and I wanted to be placed in the same school we decided it would be best to look for a third party program; and I am so glad we chose CISabroad! From the get-go the program was super organized. They had a portal set up so that I could see what paperwork I had to get done and when. Also, I was immediately set up with an advisor that I could get in contact with super easily throughout the whole process (this was extremely helpful when it came time to do visa applications!). Once I got to Japan, they gave us a fun orientation in Tokyo where we got to browse all of the local hotspots and get to know our site director, Jeff (he is amazing!). The whole time that we were there we could contact Jeff at literally any hour and he would get back to us super quickly. He also took us on excursions throughout the trip, like getting to see a Shinto ceremony at a shrine (that was closed only for us!), or feeding deer at Nara! It was absolutely amazing!

Read my full story
Abigale

Lived the Dream!!

I've been a traveler at heart for as long as I can remember, and have always wanted to study abroad before I graduated college. CIS was able to make that a reality when I stumbled upon them in my school's study abroad fair last year- before I knew it, I was studying at Kyoto University of Foreign Studies in Kyoto, Japan!
From orientation in Tokyo to adjusting to life in beautiful Kyoto, this experience was really once in a lifetime. Classes are intensive and challenging regardless of what level you're placed in (I knew none of the language before arriving), and on top of other classes, you take 3 hours of comprehensive language every day. Despite the initial frightening language barrier with professors and basically everywhere else, the payoff was completely worth it- after 3 months, we went through an entire text book, and learned about 2 years worth of material in that time!
The experience completely changed me, as I now want to continue studying the language post graduation, and maybe even work in the country. Overall, the site directors put in their utmost effort to get everyone in the program involved in the local culture, and I had some unforgettable experiences and excursions through CIS and the school (Arashiyama, Nara, and even a dinner with a Geiko!), and enough time to take some major solo trips of my own. :) CIS Semester in Kyoto was hands down the most special experience I've had in university, and recommend it to anyone who's up for an adventure of their own!

More information from CIS about the required classes, language expectations, and class registration process would be super helpful for future students!
andrew
Andrew

Days of Harmony and Sympathy

In summary, I had a splendid time in Kyoto while studying abroad at the Kyoto University of Foreign Studies through the CIS Abroad program led by Jeff Sinding. The Japanese classes with a high level of professionalism and technique. Furthermore, the environment of the university, as well as the amount of activities they had, also provided an enjoyable environment to be a part of. In addition, I was able to travel freely and flexibly. The Japanese transportation system made it easy to go to and from just about anywhere on any map.
Lastly, I became happier overall because of this experience and the friends I made during my time there. My best friend is a friend from Taiwan I met there who was not part of CIS abroad, but I also met many people within the group which helped me much.

I honestly cannot think of any better improvement
Read my full story
Carmen

CISAbroad Semester in Kyoto

The support from CISAbroad was great! They answered all of my questions and in a very timely manner. My program advisor always did everything she could to help me and it really felt like she cared about my safety and experience abroad. The on-site director was amazing and was also very helpful. The classes abroad were challenging but fun at the same time. There was a great amount of time to go out and explore the town and even nearby cities. I have many memories but my favorite thing to do was simply going to karaoke. I went almost every weekend with friends and we belted our hearts out! I actually had more culture shock coming back home than I did when I went to Japan. Post study abroad depression is very real and it can be hard to get back to the routine back at home. I had a great experience with the program and I miss Japan so much! I hope to go back soon.

Luke

Fall Semester in Kyoto

Kyoto is without a doubt the cultural center of Japan and arguably one of the most exceedingly beautiful cities on earth. I had high expectations upon arrival of the beauty of the land, architecture, and infrastructure of Japan as a whole, and yet I was still surprised. Being immeresed in that alone felt surreal. My expectations for the academics I would be enrolled in were quite high as well, and like before I was surprised nonetheless with the reality of my experience. I had taken a semester off of my Physics undergraduate in order to travel, and I was quite glad to finnaly be able to have the opportunity to study Japanese language at a university level. It was time consuming and frustrating, but so rewarding. I wish I could continue my Japanese university study experience, and in fact I'm likely to do so, with the very same program. The on site coordinator was a charismatic and knowledgeable individual, the planned excursions were unreal, and although there were bumps along the way, I am very satisfied with CIS abroad's Kyoto program.

Minor issues to do with the certainty of some provided information could be improved, but nothing too bad from a program that had just started hosting in that particular location.
Jessica

A Great Semester in Japan

I had an amazing experience in Japan. My classes were useful and got me to a level of Japanese understanding and independent study is no long a laughable dream. I could get anywhere I wanted, including many historical sites, using cheap and accessible public transportation. Food was great, the people were nice and helpful. If you go, my two pieces of advice are to pack light and to make sure some part of your plan, either in class or outside, requires you talk to actual Japanese people; I opted to only take Japanese classes, which Japanese students obviously don’t need, and so didn’t make any Japanese friends, which limited my ability to practice. CISAbroad was a great provider and worth the cost.

The Semester programs happen in Kyoto, but my CIS abroad contact lived and primarily worked in Tokyo, 2~ hours away. It initially made me nervous that my emergency contact was so far away.

Alumni Interviews

About CISabroad

CIS Abroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CIS Abroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad...