CISabroad - Semester in Japan - Kyoto University of Foreign Studies

Become immersed in a new world with the Semester in Japan program. In a city whose population is 10% college students, Kyoto is considered to be Japan's cultural capital. With a wide course selection, further your studies while feeding your curiosities: take a stroll down the Path of Philosophy, experience the buzzing energy pulsing through Downtown Kyoto, or get lost in the mountain-top temples of the Southeast. Through one or two 14-week semesters you can hope to gain a global perspective in the "City of Ten Thousand Shrines".

• Live in a young, active city where 10% of the population are college students
  • Explore new and old traditions in the "cultural capital" of Japan
  • Learn Japanese, one of the worlds most important languages, in an immersive setting
  • Some of the most delicious food in the world
  • Easy access to cities like Osaka, Kobe, and Nara

andrew
Andrew

Days of Harmony and Sympathy

In summary, I had a splendid time in Kyoto while studying abroad at the Kyoto University of Foreign Studies through the CIS Abroad program led by Jeff Sinding. The Japanese classes with a high level of professionalism and technique. Furthermore, the environment of the university, as well as the amount of activities they had, also provided an enjoyable environment to be a part of. In addition, I was able to travel freely and flexibly. The Japanese transportation system made it easy to go to and from just about anywhere on any map.
Lastly, I became happier overall because of this experience and the friends I made during my time there. My best friend is a friend from Taiwan I met there who was not part of CIS abroad, but I also met many people within the group which helped me much.

I honestly cannot think of any better improvement
Carmen

CISAbroad Semester in Kyoto

The support from CISAbroad was great! They answered all of my questions and in a very timely manner. My program advisor always did everything she could to help me and it really felt like she cared about my safety and experience abroad. The on-site director was amazing and was also very helpful. The classes abroad were challenging but fun at the same time. There was a great amount of time to go out and explore the town and even nearby cities. I have many memories but my favorite thing to do was simply going to karaoke. I went almost every weekend with friends and we belted our hearts out! I actually had more culture shock coming back home than I did when I went to Japan. Post study abroad depression is very real and it can be hard to get back to the routine back at home. I had a great experience with the program and I miss Japan so much! I hope to go back soon.

Luke

Fall Semester in Kyoto

Kyoto is without a doubt the cultural center of Japan and arguably one of the most exceedingly beautiful cities on earth. I had high expectations upon arrival of the beauty of the land, architecture, and infrastructure of Japan as a whole, and yet I was still surprised. Being immeresed in that alone felt surreal. My expectations for the academics I would be enrolled in were quite high as well, and like before I was surprised nonetheless with the reality of my experience. I had taken a semester off of my Physics undergraduate in order to travel, and I was quite glad to finnaly be able to have the opportunity to study Japanese language at a university level. It was time consuming and frustrating, but so rewarding. I wish I could continue my Japanese university study experience, and in fact I'm likely to do so, with the very same program. The on site coordinator was a charismatic and knowledgeable individual, the planned excursions were unreal, and although there were bumps along the way, I am very satisfied with CIS abroad's Kyoto program.

Minor issues to do with the certainty of some provided information could be improved, but nothing too bad from a program that had just started hosting in that particular location.
Jessica

A Great Semester in Japan

I had an amazing experience in Japan. My classes were useful and got me to a level of Japanese understanding and independent study is no long a laughable dream. I could get anywhere I wanted, including many historical sites, using cheap and accessible public transportation. Food was great, the people were nice and helpful. If you go, my two pieces of advice are to pack light and to make sure some part of your plan, either in class or outside, requires you talk to actual Japanese people; I opted to only take Japanese classes, which Japanese students obviously don’t need, and so didn’t make any Japanese friends, which limited my ability to practice. CISAbroad was a great provider and worth the cost.

The Semester programs happen in Kyoto, but my CIS abroad contact lived and primarily worked in Tokyo, 2~ hours away. It initially made me nervous that my emergency contact was so far away.

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...