CIEE Summer Arabic Language in Amman, Jordan

The sand and dunes of Wadi Rum
View of Amman from Citadel Hill
View of Amman from Citadel Hill
CIEE Study Abroad Amman, Jordan

If you’re interested in beginning your study of Arabic, or taking your advanced language skills to the next level, come discover Jordan this summer.
Through a rigorous course of instruction, you’ll develop skills in both Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic. A variety of cultural activities will offer you insight into Jordanian society and the culture.

Study abroad in Amman and you will:
- Begin or improve your Arabic through intensive language training in Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic
- Develop core vocabulary and colloquial conversation skills through cultural activities
- Work with Peer Language Tutors to enhance language skills and learn about campus life
- Explore Jordan through excursions to places such as desert castles and Biblical sites

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

Learn more >

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Fiona

Learning Arabic in Amman

I am so happy that I chose to participate in the CIEE Summer Arabic Language program in Amman. My goal going into the program was to make enough progress to skip Second-Year Standard Arabic and begin my third year in Fall 2017. Through a combination of our intensive Arabic classes and being immersed in an Arabic-speaking city and culture, I was able to reach this goal. My Arabic professor back at home was very impressed with my progress in just one summer, and so was my native Arabic speaking tutor.

At the beginning of my time in Amman, it was difficult to navigate the city and communicate effectively, but this really helped me grow, and by the end, it was much easier and I was able to confidently take public transportation to the places I needed to go. I learned a great deal in Jordan - not just about Arabic, but also about living in another culture, about adapting and being resourceful in unfamiliar circumstances, and about all the similarities and all the differences between us. I was also able to visit many beautiful, interesting and historic places. One of my favorite experiences was visiting Wadi Rum, where we rode camels, witnessed traditional Bedouin cooking practices, and stargazed under the beautiful desert night sky.

I’m so grateful for this opportunity and I believe it will end up being one of the most valuable experiences of my academic career. I hope to return to Jordan soon!