The workshop will enable participants to gain comprehensive knowledge and hands-on experience in Roman mosaic and art conservation. They will be introduced to the history and technology of Roman and Late Roman mosaics. This course is designed primarily for students in Archaeological Conservation, Archaeology, Anthropology, History, Art History, and other related scientific fields. The workshops will be based on authentic mosaic
The field school project will again be hosted by the National Institution Stobi, Macedonia at the Roman city of Stobi (today an archaeological park). It provides an unique opportunity for students and volunteers to gain comprehensive knowledge and hands-on experience in Roman (esp. Late Roman) Mosaic Art and Conservation.
- be able to develop basic/further practical skills (depending on the participant's initial level of qualification) in ancient mosaic conservation and documentation
- be able to recognize many of the alteration types of ancient mosaics and their causes
- learn about the history and techniques of Roman (esp. Late Roman) mosaics
- deepen their knowledge through a first-hand experience of the Roman History, Arts and Archaeology in the region of ancient Macedonia
- take excursions to significant heritage sites in R. of Macedonia and Greece.