SIT Madagascar: Medicine & Healthcare Course

Explore traditional and allopathic healthcare from the context of Madagascar.

This program examines how Madagascar's historical circumstances, geography, and demographics shape and inform the delivery of these sometimes competing, sometimes complementary healthcare systems.

The program incorporates lectures, field study, and interactive community involvement. From their base in the capital city of Antananarivo (Tana) and through rural excursions, students learn firsthand about forms of treatment, methods of diagnosis, questions of access, and the education and training of healthcare professionals.

Lyric

Transformative Program

My experience in Madagascar was truly incredible. The orientation portion really prepares you for integrating with your homestay families, and the subject matter of the courses challenges you in a new and unique way. You get to explore three very different areas of the island country, from Tana to Morondava, and all three have something new to offer. The program director, Nat, is one of the purest and kindest people I have ever met, and is incredibly accommodating. This is a very hands-on program, and with the homestay component, you have the opportunity to dive even deeper into the local culture should you so choose (I recommend that you do). You'll eat a lot of rice, but I love rice so that was fine by me. I wish I was able to stay longer than the 6 & 1/2 weeks.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
On my first night with my homestay family, I ate fried chicken head!
Anna

My Life-Changing Experience in Madagascar

My time in Madagascar was truly unique and life-altering. I view the world through a new lens now, and I am grateful to every person who guided me along the way. I created a family in this beautiful country. This place feels like my home, and I miss it dearly. SIT created a very immersive program: we learned the Malagasy language, stayed with host families, and ate local food. We learned about the valuable medicinal plants that they utilize in addition to their significance within the Malagasy culture. Although I was in a place unlike anywhere I had ever been before, I felt as though I was taken good care of. Our academic director was always there for us, and the other students on the trip were a great support system. I would recommend this trip to anyone.

More preparation for returning back to the United States. I experienced some culture shock and had a difficult time adjusting at first.