CIEE January in Yucatan

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Immerse yourself in the Yucatán Peninsula’s magnificent biodiversity and Latin America’s largest indigenous culture. January in Yucatán is the perfect place to begin your Spanish language proficiency and discover the ancient Mayan culture. Your home base is Mérida - a pretty city filled with brightly colored buildings and clean, tree-lined streets. Its Spanish colonial architecture and world-renowned Mayan landmarks are a draw for visitors from around the world.

Mérida is the capital of the Yucátan state and the largest city on the Yucátan Peninsula with a population just under 900,000 people. It is known for its Mayan ruins, art, and architecture and has the largest intact indigenous population (60%) of any city reflected in its regional foods and music.

• LIVE with a host family, committed to making your stay unforgettable.
  • LEARN in a program that combines academics with cultural activities for a dramatic beginning to your Spanish language skills.
  • EXPLORE the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya: a new world class museum covering the Yucatán from its geological origins to the present.
  • Explore Merida´s magnificent Botanical Garden.
  • Explore Chichén Itzá and nearby Cenote Sagrado where humans were sacrificed to the rain god Chaac.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Jizelle

J-term

I had a great time! The on-site staff was very friendly and available. I did find however, that the off-site staff for CIEE was not very responsive or helpful and often did not supply us (as in students and host families) with reliable information. There needs to be serious improvement of organization. If you like pre-scheduled groups trips, this would be the program for you. We had at least one planned activity a week, so that was nice. Also, though they don't technically include lunch within the program cost, the food in Merida was amazing and very cheap.

Communication to students and host families was very poor.
Rebecca

January in Yucatán

I really enjoyed my time in Mexico with CIEE. The program provided a lot of support and allowed me to improve my Spanish while also providing opportunities to explore the city and go to cultural events. The city is in a great location and allowed me to travel some as well. CIEE’s class allowed me to learn more about local, colloquial Spanish sayings. I would highly recommend this program for anyone who was looking to improve their Spanish and learn more about the culture that they were studying in.

I would want the program to offer a higher level of Spanish.
Isaiah

January in Merida

Ciee Yucatan is based in Merida which is an incredible city. There are cultural events in the centro every weekend and during the week there are so many museums and things to see in the city. I constantly felt like I had something to do. I also felt completely safe in the city and would love to go back. It is in close proximity to many Mayan Ruins and there is an awesome beach named Progreso forty minutes from the city. I loved my experience and am so thankful to ciee for such a great experience. The staff was incredible at Yucatan and my host family was amazing. I can’t wait to go back!

A Spanish advanced class would be awesome. With that being said, I learned a lot in the intermediate course offered.