Social Realities in Mexico - IBERO Short Programs

Social Realities in Mexico - IBERO Short Programs

The 6-week program "Social Realities in Mexico" (January 5th - February 16th, 2018) is an academic program meant to sharpen the students' awareness of the main development concerns and social challenges in Latin America. At the same time, the participants acquire factual, technical and theoretical knowledge to undertake those challenges, and strengthen their foundation skills through first-hand experience.
The key factors of the program are an appealing balance of academic and social activities, full immersion into the Mexican culture and society, and direct contact with experts, NGOs and the local population. All program components have the quality standards of Universidad Iberoamericana (“IBERO”), one of Latin America’s highest ranked universities.

• Full cultural immersion and service learning approach
  • Amazing study tour to southern Mexico as part of the program
  • Highly attractive price: housing and domestic flights (Mexico City - Chiapas) included
  • One of Latin America's highest ranked universities
  • No "Voluntourism" - thoughtfully developed academic content and decades of experience
North America » Mexico » Mexico City
Statement of Purpose
Age Requirement
Health Requirement
Application Fee
The cost of the program is $2,990 USD. A 10% discount is granted for students from IBERO's partner universities. If three or more students from the same home university participate in the program (partner university or not), an additional 10% discount applies. A non-refundable application fee of $45 USD is due at the time the application documents are submitted.

The program fee includes:

- Tuition and program fees
- Domestic air fares (Mexico City to Chiapas and back)
- Housing (homestay with a Mexican family), 40 nights
- Hotel costs during the Chiapas study tour, 5 nights
- Transport to and from airport
- Breakfasts
- Dinners (weeks 1 - 5)
- Free access to campus facilities (gymnasium, infirmary, computer labs, etc.)
- Local group transportation
- Printout material
- Cultural/social activities and weekend trips
Chiapas

Julz
Sydney
University of Wollongong

Absolutely amazing experience

I highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a short course. Mexico City is such an fabulous city and going to uni everyday, learning Spanish and learning about Latin American cultures and society really gives you a holistic, one of a kind experience. The staff were fantastic and Claudia made me feel welcome before I even arrived! She is incredibly efficient and a whiz at organising interesting trips, excursions and tailored the program to our groups personal interests. We had the chance to go to a variety of NGO's and really get to hear from the local people what social and societal problems exist. One of the most interesting experiences was when we went as a group to a migrant shelter and were given the chance to ask and listen to the migrants and their personal experiences. Coming from Australia, we don't get taught too much about the migration patterns of Latin America and it was an eye opening experience to hear, see and have the opportunity to learn more about it and particularly in real life rather than a textbook. Although my Spanish level wasn't as good as the others, the staff made sure to translate difficult conversations which also helped me to improve my language skills. That was personally one of my biggest fears but as soon as I arrived the staff, teachers and students made me feel so comfortable and at ease. The students at the university are so friendly and helpful and the student life is fantastic. Every weekend we were busy with some kind of social event which was always a lot of fun. I definitely made some friends for life while being in this program. Overall I would personally highly recommend this program to anyone that is interested. I only wish that the program was longer! haha I will never forget my experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Laura
Caulfield North
University of Wollongong

A life-changing experience

For five weeks I attended classes at Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City, Mexico. We had classes Monday to Friday, 9am - 11 am in Spanish and 11:15am - 1pm in our history class. Our exchange group was small, however, we were put into different Spanish classes with the other exchange students at the University depending on our level. Our group would then come together for 2 hours to learn about the history and social issues in Latin America. Excellent teachers, excellent resources and overall an amazing experience being able to study abroad in such a culturally rich city! Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a short-term study abroad option! My favourite part of my study abroad trip was the fact that we went on so many enriching excursions. We also got to spend a week in the state of Chiapas in the south of Mexico, which was life changing! We visited two NGOs, swam in various waterfalls and fell asleep to the sounds of wild monkeys as we stay in the jungle. Also, the food in Mexico is next level, especially if you love the heat! I was constantly surprised by how diverse the food can be in Mexico, from region to region. Mexico City is full of yummy delights and I can guarantee that you will never go hungry in this city!

Would love an extra hour of Spanish language classes at day!

Universidad Iberoamericana ("Iberoamericana University"' or just "IBERO") is considered one of Mexico's most prestigious universities, distinguished by high academic standards and a strong social commitment. The Mexico City campus, located within the Santa Fe business district (western part of town), hosts approximately 12,000 students. IBERO