IES Abroad Amsterdam - Psychology & Sciences

IES Abroad Amsterdam - Psychology & Sciences

Your classroom isn’t in one of those old familiar buildings on your home campus, it’s in one of Europe’s most exciting and unique cities—Amsterdam—at an internationally recognized research university, the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).

With its strong course offerings in psychology and the sciences, you’re bound to find a variety of English-taught courses at the VU to apply to your major. From Experimental Cell Biology to The History and Philosophy of Psychology, you can dive further into your major, but you also have the opportunity to expand your studies beyond psychology and the sciences with IES Abroad course options, such as Dutch language and culture, sexuality and gender, studio art, art history, and research.

Art History
Cultural Studies
Social Sciences
Age Requirement
Health Requirement
Contact IES Abroad or see website for details:

I went there with no knowledge of Dutch and everything was fine; in Amsterdam, almost everyone speaks English. I would learn how to say the basic words like hello, thank you, goodbye, etc. I did take a basic Dutch class over there just for fun, and even if you do learn a little Dutch, most people will still recognize you speak English and they’ll talk to you in English.

What a Time

"What a time to be alive!" was my go-to expression for the fall semester in Amsterdam. My friends probably got slightly annoyed of my repetitive saying, but they always seemed to nod in agreement because this was often times the only way to describe our circumstances. IES Abroad Amsterdam was the best program I could've asked for. The staff was incredibly helpful and encouraging before, during, and after the program. They made my transition as smooth as it could be, were present during the highest of highs and lowest of lows, and honestly just took care of me. I felt safe. I felt engaged with the culture. I felt comfortable. I felt like I immediately had a new family. All of the basics like course registration, housing, residence permits, etc. were made easy so that I could have the fullest experience possible. I truly could not have asked for anything better.

Communication is something I think can always be improved, especially pre-departure!

A Much-Needed Escapade

The emotional outcome of any experience is completely subjective. When it's going abroad, every conceivable emotion occurs and reoccurs throughout your entire stay in a foreign land. It's overwhelming, in both a positive and yes, even negative way. Especially considering that you are not only there to travel, but for your studies as well. Me? I fell in love with Amsterdam. That's not to say I didn't have sad, angry, homesick, or stressed emotions just because I was in one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's perfectly natural to feel all those things, even while in such a magical place. For me, what rose above all the spectrum of human emotions were the moments that gave me pure elation. Elation that I may never have felt had I not gone abroad. It was a human experience I was in much need of, and I recommend it to anyone who is presented the opportunity. I continue to hold Amsterdam, and everything it had to offer, dear to me.

My Semester Abroad

Spending my spring semester in Amsterdam was one the best decisions I've made in college, and I feel so lucky to have been able to live in one of the coolest cities in the world for four months. While it was great to have time off and be able to travel, I still felt like there was always more to explore in Amsterdam every weekend and I didn't feel too much of a need to go see other cities while I was already somewhere that I loved being. There is just so much to see and so much to do, from visiting the many museums they have to offer, to visiting Keukenhof (the tulip festival in the spring), and of course biking around trying to understand the flow of traffic. Not only would I recommend that every college student spend a semester abroad, but also everyone should visit Amsterdam; if you can do those both at the same time, that's perfect! And if you do, make sure to treasure every moment, because you will always look back and reminisce, and you want to make sure you made the most of your time there. It will be a memory you'll treasure forever.

Exceeding Expectations

I did not know much about Amsterdam or the Dutch culture prior to making my decision to study there for the next 5 months of my life. When finally arriving on campus, I was in confusion of where I was dropped off by my taxi driver. Amsterdam is known as the city of bikes and canals; however, my first exposure out of Schiphol Airport did not meet my expectations. I was dropped off on campus where I was surrounded by unpleasing aesthetics and construction. I was surprised and almost regretted my decision of selecting Amsterdam. As my first week progressed, I got used to my surroundings, and during the first week, I eventually made my way into the city center (the area of Amsterdam I fell in-love with and the place where I spent most of my time with the amazing group of IES friends I met during my time there). Overall, my decision to study abroad exceeded my expectations from day one and continued to do so each and everyday. This experience is one I will never regret or forget as it gave me the opportunity to grow academically, professionally, and personally.

Fantastic semester!

This program gives you a chance to get immersed in Dutch culture in a way that you may not be able to experience later in life. I was enrolled directly in a Dutch university, and I made lifelong friends with Dutch students. We spent hours talking about differences between our countries and they helped me with my Dutch language homework. I can't speak highly enough of the IES Abroad Amsterdam team for all their support and how smoothly they organized my housing and studying.

My Favorite Semester!

This past spring I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Amsterdam with the IES program. It was an experience that I will never forget and one that I am extremely grateful for. Amsterdam was an incredible city, practically a utopia -a word I and my friends/ family who visited me used to describe the city many times. Amsterdam has an incredible peaceful vibe to it with lots to offer. There was always something new to do, always a new street to discover and great people to meet.

Being part of the IES abroad program made my experience in Amsterdam even better. Not only did I get to take classes at a local university with dutch and other international students, but I also got to take a class at the IES center, which ended up being by favorite class (with an incredible professor). This research seminar class allowed me to discover more about the city and myself that I ever expected. The professor gave us lots of support to help us figure out what we wanted to research but also lots of freedom to make the research our own and get whatever we wanted out of the work we did.

The living situation was also great! Being able to have my own room and bathroom was incredible- something that most programs don’t offer! Being able to share a kitchen and living area allowed me to never feel lonely. Everyone on my floor always had their doors open and we were constantly hopping from one room to the next to hangout with each other.

Through this program I got to meet tons of great people, travel around in Netherlands and Europe and take really great classes! I highly recommend the program!

I would make it longer! 4 months just wasn't enough!

Semester Abroad in Amsterdam- IES Psychology and Sciences Program

My four short months spent in Amsterdam were incredible. With Amsterdam’s rich history, beautiful canals, world-class museums, and vibrant nightlife it is the ideal city for study abroad. Amsterdam is charming and cozy in addition to energetic and fun. Getting around the city is a breeze, with the majority of museums, nightlife, and shopping being a short bike ride away. Academics place much more self-initiative on the student; however, the class schedule, along with Amsterdam’s central location makes traveling easy. The housing for this program is unique in that as an American student, I had the opportunity to live with and become close with other international students. Although becoming immersed with locals was difficult, the international student building is located near other student housing, which makes its possible, with enough effort, to meet local students.

The communication between IES and the university was not ideal. There were differences between how IES described the classes from what was actually provided at the university, as well as registration issues during the first week of classes.

About IES Abroad

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student...