IES Abroad Amsterdam – Law & Criminology

Amsterdam's famous canals
Amsterdam's famous canals
Students jumping in front of windmill
Students jumping in front of windmill

In the Law & Criminology Program, hosted at the VU University Amsterdam (VU), you enroll in a core course on law and three to four law or criminology-related courses at the VU and live on the VU campus.

The Netherlands will also be your classroom. Observe some of Europe’s most progressive laws in action, and have access to the professionals and experts who can help you put them in context. And from field trips that take you off the beaten path to places like Rotterdam, Maastricht, or the Island of Texel to field study visits in and around Amsterdam, you’ll gain valuable insight into what you’re learning in the classroom.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Jane

Study Abroad in Amsterdam- You Won't Regret It!

Spending a semester abroad in Amsterdam was an experience that I have absolutely zero regrets about. Not only did I meet amazing people in the program, I got to live in the business district of the city and experience so many different things about Dutch culture. The food especially- wow! The living accommodations were great and I was able to survive off of my savings comfortably and travel quite a bit. Not to mention the school system in the Netherlands allowed me to have a lot of extra time and learning outside of the classroom. I visited world class museums and saw masterpieces. The program was very supportive and I really enjoyed my time abroad. They even organized a trip to Poland that was quite possibly my favorite trip when abroad. The history of World War II is so much more ingrained in the culture of Europe and I definitely felt like my eyes were opened very much during my experience abroad.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Grocery shopping for the first time! Everything is in Dutch and while some things are easily translated, others are not. Also, the eggs are not refrigerated. You pick it up quite quickly though! My highlight of every week is going to Albert Heijn and doing my shopping.
Haley

Study with IES!!!!!!

I had the most amazing time in Amsterdam studying Law and Criminology with the IES program. I was able to figure out that law was the path I want to take in my life by solely focusing on law classes during my time abroad (something I am unable to do in the US until law school). I was able to pick classes that fit my interest and had wonderful access to help if I ever feel I needed it. I met the most amazing people through our international apartment from all over the world that I will stay friends with forever. I wish I could participate in this program every year. I can't wait to return and see all of the IES employees!!

Change it so people can stay longer!
Maddison

Ik Houd van Amsterdam!

I will forever be grateful for the Semester I spent abroad in Amsterdam, and am so thankful I chose to go through IES to do so! The Law & Criminology Amsterdam program through IES was a perfect fit for my study abroad wants and needs. Before going abroad I knew I did not want to do a program through my university as I didn't want to only be with students from my university, yet still wanted to be in an organized program. Living abroad with students from all over the United States was such a cool experience to be able to live and be around people from all different backgrounds, while still having the comfort of being around people from your home country.
The courses taken in our program were both at the IES center with other students from the program and at the Vrije Universiteit alongside other Dutch and international students. The courses taken from Dutch professors were much different from an American University, but it was such a rewarding experience to be able to take classes with other Dutch students. Because of this it was extremely easy to make friends from all different cultures. Another factor that made meeting people super easy was the living situation. I lived in campus housing in a flat where I shared a living room and kitchen with twelve other people. What I loved most about it was that I lived in the International Student tower and shared a flat from other international students all over the world.
If you are having a hard time deciding where you should go abroad, you should 100% choose Amsterdam. I guarantee you won't regret it! It is such a great central point to travel around Europe and you will never get tired of exploring the endless canals of Amsterdam. It is an extremely welcoming city and truly a great fit for all different kinds of people. You will have no trouble finding your niche in Amsterdam!

DutchLover06

Study Pre-Law in Amsterdam!! The International Legal Capital of the World

I studied abroad in Amsterdam in Fall 2011, specifically in the IES Abroad Pre-Law Certification Program. I took three classes (Argumentation Theory, Public International Law and the core Seminar on Law and Legal Practice). Some of my classmates found the courses to be really easy but if you had no exposure to law previously, you will find the program to be as rewarding and challenging as I did. I loved all of my Professors, everyone spoke English proficiently and I was able to travel around Europe with ease using time management wisely. Amsterdam is a wonderful city and with close proximity to both the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice in The Hague, this program is IDEAL for any student looking for a preview into an law school curriculum while traveling abroad!