IES Abroad Amsterdam - Law & Criminology

IES Abroad Amsterdam - Law & Criminology

In the Law & Criminology Program, hosted at the VU University Amsterdam (VU), you enroll in a core course on law and three to four law or criminology-related courses at the VU and live on the VU campus.

The Netherlands will also be your classroom. Observe some of Europe’s most progressive laws in action, and have access to the professionals and experts who can help you put them in context. And from field trips that take you off the beaten path to places like Rotterdam, Maastricht, or the Island of Texel to field study visits in and around Amsterdam, you’ll gain valuable insight into what you’re learning in the classroom.

Europe » Netherlands » Amsterdam

Maddison
Seattle, WA
University of Washington

Ik Houd van Amsterdam!

I will forever be grateful for the Semester I spent abroad in Amsterdam, and am so thankful I chose to go through IES to do so! The Law & Criminology Amsterdam program through IES was a perfect fit for my study abroad wants and needs. Before going abroad I knew I did not want to do a program through my university as I didn't want to only be with students from my university, yet still wanted to be in an organized program. Living abroad with students from all over the United States was such a cool experience to be able to live and be around people from all different backgrounds, while still having the comfort of being around people from your home country.
The courses taken in our program were both at the IES center with other students from the program and at the Vrije Universiteit alongside other Dutch and international students. The courses taken from Dutch professors were much different from an American University, but it was such a rewarding experience to be able to take classes with other Dutch students. Because of this it was extremely easy to make friends from all different cultures. Another factor that made meeting people super easy was the living situation. I lived in campus housing in a flat where I shared a living room and kitchen with twelve other people. What I loved most about it was that I lived in the International Student tower and shared a flat from other international students all over the world.
If you are having a hard time deciding where you should go abroad, you should 100% choose Amsterdam. I guarantee you won't regret it! It is such a great central point to travel around Europe and you will never get tired of exploring the endless canals of Amsterdam. It is an extremely welcoming city and truly a great fit for all different kinds of people. You will have no trouble finding your niche in Amsterdam!

DutchLover06
Atlanta, Georgia
Spelman College

Study Pre-Law in Amsterdam!! The International Legal Capital of the World

I studied abroad in Amsterdam in Fall 2011, specifically in the IES Abroad Pre-Law Certification Program. I took three classes (Argumentation Theory, Public International Law and the core Seminar on Law and Legal Practice). Some of my classmates found the courses to be really easy but if you had no exposure to law previously, you will find the program to be as rewarding and challenging as I did. I loved all of my Professors, everyone spoke English proficiently and I was able to travel around Europe with ease using time management wisely. Amsterdam is a wonderful city and with close proximity to both the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice in The Hague, this program is IDEAL for any student looking for a preview into an law school curriculum while traveling abroad!

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to