IFSA: University of Auckland Partnership

Located in the geographical and economical heart of New Zealand's largest city, the University of Auckland is surrounded by beautiful parks, galleries, museums, shopping areas and more bars and cafes than you can count. This prestigious university is ranked within the top 100 universities in the world offering a diverse catalogue of courses in a wide range of subjects.

• Apply for the Auckland UpFront Scholarship: up to $7,500 to cover airfare and program deposit
  • Live and learn on a city campus buffered by parkland, a great environment for the independent student
  • Ranks in the top 1 percent of the world's universities and offers unique courses such as Maori language and culture
  • An active students association sponsors a full range of social, political, cultural and athletic activities, including more than 100 clubs and societies
  • Campus contains everything you need plus it boasts an arts center, theatre, and recreation center

IFSA Scholarships and Financial Aid

We believe that study abroad should be within reach of every student, so we offer a wide range of scholarships and funding opportunities for all our participants.

$500 - $2,500

Elon

Semester in NZ with IFSA

I spent last semester at the University of Auckland through IFSA-Butler. Reflecting back on my study abroad experience it was four and a half months I would not trade. I was able to go because my school already had a partnership with IFSA-Butler. It meant that I would receive a transcript from Butler University and not the University of Auckland. This partnership insured all of my classes were accepted by my home university. When first arriving in New Zealand, I received an on-site orientation at a Regional Park, which allowed me to have three days to become accustomed to the time zone, climate, nature, some of my future friends, hiking, food, and so much more. We spent time broken up into our specific schools where we learned about the cities we were going to, the universities, hiking, food, etc. Then at the end of the time we were all escorted to our specific living arrangements in each city by our Student Services Coordinator. They then helped us find the local grocery store and buy groceries for the week. The Student Services Coordinator led us through the University of Auckland's orientation a few days later. As well as, having onsite meet-ups with the group, where they would bring snacks and create a space of familiarity. There were also IFSA-Butler sponsored events throughout the program, which were covered in the program fees. My favorite was the weekend trip to Lake Taupo where we went whitewater rafting and sailing.

I would think more about money. Although I spent four and a half months in New Zealand, I also traveled during that time and after for a month and a half. In the long run I was able to make it all work and with the help of my parents it all came together. Now looking back, I wish I would have thought more about budgeting and what cost of living in another country would look like. It is one thing to be in college, have a food plan, and work a job on campus. It is completely different to live alone abroad, not having a source of income or meal plan.
Francesca

Best semester of my life

My experience abroad at the University of Auckland through IFSA-Butler was absolutely incredible. It was unique because I didn't feel pressured to travel to many other countries (as many students express in Europe abroad programs), but instead really got to know and understand New Zealand. I loved my New Zealand specific classes, like my Maori culture class and my New Zealand music class. The various classes available to me made it easy to complete the requirements I had for my home university, while also exploring some fun classes that were unique to New Zealand. I loved the Kiwi lifestyle, which is very laid back and I learned to adapt to that. This gave me more confidence in myself and allowed me to grow in many different ways, but especially becoming more easy-going and less worried. I got out of my comfort zone with certain activities I was able to experience and I saw some of the most amazing sights. I met people who understood me on a deep level and I formed true friendships with many people through this program. Auckland as a city was amazing because it really is a city, so there is plenty to do on a weekend in the city, but it's also so easy to get out of the city and into nature that a day trip or weekend trip away was totally doable as well.

What was your funniest moment?
I went horseback riding in Punakaiki (South Island) during spring break and my horse got scared of the waves in the ocean and threw me off! I fell right into the ocean, which was freezing at that point, and my shoe went flying off. I was covered in water and sand, and we were miles from the starting point, so I had to carry out the rest of the ride in soaking wet clothes. At the moment, it wasn't so funny, but looking back on it, it is one of the funniest things that's ever happened to me.