Queen's University Belfast: Irish Studies Summer School

International Irish Studies Summer School 2017

This unique interdisciplinary summer school is delivered by world leading scholars from a range of disciplines including history, heritage, literature, Irish language, politics, anthropology, archaeology, geography, film and theatre. Students can follow their interests with the opportunity to further specialize, with a choice of two unique strands:

- History and History
- Literature and Culture

• A unique immersive academic and cultural experience, with the opportunity to pursue your academic interests.
  • Optional credit-bearing programme at Year 2 undergraduate equivalent, worth a recommended 5 -6 US credits
  • Opportunity to explore Northern Ireland with cultural and historical field trips. Students will have the opportunity to see their learning in action with a range of field trips across Northern Ireland to sites of cultural and historical importance.
  • Guaranteed accommodation on campus for 27 nights with arrival on Sunday 23 June and departure on Saturday 20 July 2019 - if accommodation option is chosen
  • A social programme including welcome reception, film nights, social events and ‘Ceilidh’ Night – traditional Irish music and dancing.

Sarah

Take me Back

I attended Queens University Belfast for their Summer Institute for Irish Studies and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I traveled to Belfast by myself, not knowing what would lay ahead on my journey, but soon realized it was going to be once in a lifetime experience. The Institute is arranged perfectly for the novice traveler or a experienced traveler who has seen the world. The summer school has a wonderful balance of classroom instruction, class trips and free-time. The program gave me a glimpse into all aspects of Northern Ireland, including history, literature and geological foundations. The class field trips looked at different parts of the city, museums and the natural landscape of the country.

I was able to have a great deal of independence and free time while in this new area, but the comfort of knowing Queen’s Belfast has an international staff on-hand incase I needed any assistance. Queens is centrally located in the city; it was just a short walk to the city centre where I could shop, get delicious food and enjoy local culture. One of my favorite things to do while in Belfast was to go St. George’s Market and get fresh baked-goods and locally made crafts. The center of the City also offers various forms of transportation to allow for easy access to other areas of Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland or even different countries. During the free weekends, I took trips to Dublin and Helens Bay. There are so many things to do and see in Belfast that you may not want to leave the city!

The living accommodations while at Queens allowed me to to live with and become wonderful friends with those in the school. Elms Village was just a short walk to the main campus and centre city. Elms Village is wonderful because it has a kitchen on every floor that allows for the opportunity to cook your own food or store snacks so I didn’t need to purchase food for every meal. There are numerous convenience stores and grocery stores within walking distance.

It is amazing to look back at the global connections and friendships I developed during the trip, many of whom I am still in contact with today. The Institute allowed me to grow, both intellectually and as an individual. I gained a new sense of wonder while at Queens and the desire to explore the world. I would highly recommend this program to any student looking to expand their horizon and for an unforgettable, life-changing experience. The hardest part of my entire journey abroad was having to go home.

Luckily, my journey has not ended here. After realizing I wanted to get an international masters degree, I looked at my experiences and decided my best option was to return to Queens University Belfast. I am excited to return to the place that I loved and begin a new chapter as a full-time graduate student at Queens University Belfast.