SFS Panama: Tourism and Tropical Island Systems (Summer I)

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The School for Field Studies (SFS) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

SFS Panama Summer I

Snorkel and hike through the diverse environments of Bocas – from coral reefs and mangroves to beaches and rainforests – and study human impacts, such as tourism, on the island’s ecosystems and communities. Meet the local residents who depend on both tourism and natural resources and learn about current approaches to sustainable development in the archipelago.

SFS students live and study at the Center for Tropical Island Biodiversity Studies, once a beachfront hotel that sits among the slender palms and warm sands of Isla Colón lies the Center. You’ll take your classes over the waves of the Caribbean and among the surrounding rainforests and reefs. The laidback tourist hub of Bocas Town is a short taxi ride away, with access to shops, restaurants, and a vibrant culture that is as unique as the mix of people who live here.

• Embark on a cross-country road trip from Panama City to Bocas del Toro to experience the full breadth of Panama’s culture, biodiversity, and sustainable practices.
  • Connect with Indigenous Ngäbe island communities: Learn about the importance of the natural environment to their culture and their efforts to create authentic, sustainable tourism.
  • Build core skills including: Species IDs, underwater transects and quadrats, tourism impact assessment, scientific writing and communication, basic Spanish language, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, research presentation

We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19

The School for Field Studies Scholarships
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year

SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.

$500 - $5,000