CIEE Language + Culture in Lisbon, Portugal

CIEE Language + Culture in Lisbon, Portugal

Take the plunge and immerse yourself in Portuguese language and culture. Through intensive language learning, and a variety of courses taught in both English and Portuguese, you’ll enhance your understanding of contemporary Portuguese society and culture.

And with home direct enrollment options at the local university, homestays, and a number of cultural excursions in and an around the multi-cultural capital of Libson, studying abroad in Portugal offers you a uniquely immersive international experience.

Study abroad in Portugal and you will:

- Take courses in English at a Portuguese university; choose from a wide range of direct enrollment courses if your Portuguese language skills are up to it

- Become familiar with Portuguese history, culture, and current affairs through city-based cultural and social activities and weekend excursions

Europe » Portugal » Lisbon
Sociology
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Mark
New Jersey
University of Pennsylvania

Spring 2017 Study Abroad in Lisbon

My semester abroad in Lisbon was the most rewarding 4 months I've had since starting college. Living in a homestay with locals and meeting Portuguese students at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa allowed me to engage with and adopt the relaxed Portuguese way of life. My fondest memories of Lisbon are watching the sunset from a miradouro (overlook), getting drinks with friends from school, and talking late into the night with my hosts. Lisbon is not as touristy as London or Barcelona, so I feel that I was able to develop my own intimate, personal relationship with the city.

The program staff was helpful and relatable, and professors were accommodating to foreigners since they are accustomed to Erasmus students visiting their university. Classes were not nearly as rigorous as my courses back at UPenn, but this was a pro rather than a con for me.

I am incredibly grateful for my experience in Lisbon, and highly recommend it as a study abroad destination.

Lia
Washington DC
Lafayette College

A wonderful semester!

I studied in Lisbon through CIEE my junior spring. It was amazing. It exceeded beyond any expectations I may have had going into the semester. From the get go I fell in love with the city and only wanted to explore. Upon meeting everyone in my program including the program advisors I knew the next couple months were going to fly by. Everyone was so kind and endearing and as each day passed I grew more and more attached to the group I was with and the city I was in. This semester undoubtedly changed my life for the better and led me to become more confident in myself and my desire to adventure outside of my comfort zone. To anyone who is nervous about studying abroad- that's okay. It's great to be nervous because then when you see to whatever it is you're nervous about, you will grow immensely. I have nothing but positive memories from this program and am sure that this semester will be one that I will never forget.

Barby
Miami, FL

The best year of my life: Studying abroad in Lisbon, Portugal.

Choosing CIEE's study abroad program in Lisbon, Portugal was probably the best decision I could have made. I have no regrets in committing to this program. It was so much fun, organized, invigorating, and helped create some of my most treasured memories. The people that choose to go to Portugal, specifically with this program, are incredibly unique. Portugal is not the first place that comes to mind and that is what makes the experience so special. Lisbon is a hidden gem with amazing city views, beautiful parks, reliable public transportation, close to an international airport, delicious food, awesome night life and overall unbelievable vibes. Portugal is probably the most gorgeous country and I am so fortunate and grateful that CIEE did their absolute best to make my study abroad year an amazing experience.

Victoria
Old Greenwich
Gettysburg College

Amazing--All- Around!

I studied abroad in Lisbon my Junior Fall and for starters, it was amazing. I could not rave more about the site on staff and at the local University. The staff was so accommodating and really worked hard to make sure each student in the program was happy, healthy, and making the most of their time in Portugal. I would strongly recommend this program to any student who is looking to have a different experience and throw themselves out there. The program is unique in that it is a language and culture program. This aspect was very useful in getting to know the country and the culture(s) as well as being able to interact and befriend Portuguese people. Portugal is a beautiful country with a unique history. Between the courses and the program excursions students are exposed to experiences and things they probably otherwise wouldn't have been able to do. Of the various trips we took with CIEE's program, going to the city of Porto was one of my favorites! We went to Porto for a long weekend where we all stayed in a hostel together. In Porto we did a walking tour, and later a boat tour. We also got to go to a concert at one of the most famous Music Halls. Other excursions included going to a soccer game at one of Lisbon's most famous stadiums, doing a tuk-tuk tour, and more.

Know that if you choose to study abroad in Portugal through CIEE you will be well taken care of and you will have so much fun. I studied abroad both semesters my junior year and Portugal was the more "holistic" study abroad experience.

Patrick
Ludlow
Northeastern University

Cowabunga

Lisbon is a warm, welcoming city, and a fantastic place to study abroad. Rich food and history can be found around every corner, along with stunning views of the city and riverfront. To say the least, Lisbon is a fantastic place to get lost in. If you're a fan of wine, pastries, seafood, espresso, architecture, adventure, history, or meeting people then you'll undoubtably find your niche here.

Studying though CIEE provided me the support I needed, the freedom to explore, and the guidance to experience things that I otherwise would have missed.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world