CIEE Language + Culture in Lisbon, Portugal

View of Lisbon from Castelo de São Jorge.
Praia dos Três Irmãos, Portimão, Portugal
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Belém, Portugal
ccs
Study with CIEE in Portugal
Study with CIEE in Portugal
Study Abroad in Lisbon, Portugal
Study Abroad in Lisbon, Portugal

The western tip of Europe is steeped in ancient history, creating a rich base to launch your study of the Portuguese language and culture. Spend the semester immersed in Portuguese culture at CIEE Lisbon while taking courses in English or Portuguese at CIEE and CIEE’s partner schools, FCSH-UNL (Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas - Universidade Nova de Lisboa) and ISCTE-IUL (Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e de Empresas-Instituto Universitário de Lisboa). All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Take classes in English and/or Portuguese with students from all over the world.
  • Live with a Portuguese family or in a dorm for full immersion - and soak up the language and culture as you experience student life in the capital city.
  • Travel north up to the coast to Portugal’s second largest city, Porto, known for a historic center dating back to Roman times and a rich wine trade.

Win up to $3,000 for 2020 Study Abroad with CIEE!

Put “study abroad” on your 2020 calendar! Enter the Seize the Season Sweepstakes for a chance to be one of eight lucky students who will share up to $24,000 in study abroad scholarships with CIEE. Choose your prize: $1,500 toward any of 80+ summer study abroad programs or $3,000 toward any of 100+ fall study abroad programs. The sweepstakes ends on April 15, 2020. Enter today!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Great question, Leslie! We can't find the answer on the site either, so our best suggestion is to reach out directly to this email: inquire@ciee.org

Alexandra

Lisbon: A City Full of Life

I loved this program because it immersed me into the Portuguese culture. I took an Art History course where we were walking around Lisbon, and surrounding areas, learning about different architecture styles along with Lisbon's layers of cultural history. We started in Medieval times and worked our way up to Modern Lisbon. Since I am an Art History major, this course was perfect-but all of the other students came from various backgrounds which created a great diversity. I got to explore so much of Lisbon even in the short one month time span I was there. The staff on site, Luísa, Joana and Sara, were amazing! Whenever I had a concern or needed a recommendation for something to do, they were there to help! The class size was small and perfect for those who like a more one-on-one experience. The excursions to Évora, the Escher Exhibit and surfing class were wonderful. We did everything that my Lisbon guide book recommended to do. I was also able to learn more about Portuguese culture, especially since the locals were very friendly and spoke English! The program allowed us to have plenty of independent free time to explore which was very liberating. The homestay gave me the opportunity to connect with a local family and be more connected to the culture. Overall, this program exceeded any expectations I had.

Mark

Spring 2017 Study Abroad in Lisbon

My semester abroad in Lisbon was the most rewarding 4 months I've had since starting college. Living in a homestay with locals and meeting Portuguese students at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa allowed me to engage with and adopt the relaxed Portuguese way of life. My fondest memories of Lisbon are watching the sunset from a miradouro (overlook), getting drinks with friends from school, and talking late into the night with my hosts. Lisbon is not as touristy as London or Barcelona, so I feel that I was able to develop my own intimate, personal relationship with the city.

The program staff was helpful and relatable, and professors were accommodating to foreigners since they are accustomed to Erasmus students visiting their university. Classes were not nearly as rigorous as my courses back at UPenn, but this was a pro rather than a con for me.

I am incredibly grateful for my experience in Lisbon, and highly recommend it as a study abroad destination.

Lia

A wonderful semester!

I studied in Lisbon through CIEE my junior spring. It was amazing. It exceeded beyond any expectations I may have had going into the semester. From the get go I fell in love with the city and only wanted to explore. Upon meeting everyone in my program including the program advisors I knew the next couple months were going to fly by. Everyone was so kind and endearing and as each day passed I grew more and more attached to the group I was with and the city I was in. This semester undoubtedly changed my life for the better and led me to become more confident in myself and my desire to adventure outside of my comfort zone. To anyone who is nervous about studying abroad- that's okay. It's great to be nervous because then when you see to whatever it is you're nervous about, you will grow immensely. I have nothing but positive memories from this program and am sure that this semester will be one that I will never forget.

Barby

The best year of my life: Studying abroad in Lisbon, Portugal.

Choosing CIEE's study abroad program in Lisbon, Portugal was probably the best decision I could have made. I have no regrets in committing to this program. It was so much fun, organized, invigorating, and helped create some of my most treasured memories. The people that choose to go to Portugal, specifically with this program, are incredibly unique. Portugal is not the first place that comes to mind and that is what makes the experience so special. Lisbon is a hidden gem with amazing city views, beautiful parks, reliable public transportation, close to an international airport, delicious food, awesome night life and overall unbelievable vibes. Portugal is probably the most gorgeous country and I am so fortunate and grateful that CIEE did their absolute best to make my study abroad year an amazing experience.

Victoria

Amazing--All- Around!

I studied abroad in Lisbon my Junior Fall and for starters, it was amazing. I could not rave more about the site on staff and at the local University. The staff was so accommodating and really worked hard to make sure each student in the program was happy, healthy, and making the most of their time in Portugal. I would strongly recommend this program to any student who is looking to have a different experience and throw themselves out there. The program is unique in that it is a language and culture program. This aspect was very useful in getting to know the country and the culture(s) as well as being able to interact and befriend Portuguese people. Portugal is a beautiful country with a unique history. Between the courses and the program excursions students are exposed to experiences and things they probably otherwise wouldn't have been able to do. Of the various trips we took with CIEE's program, going to the city of Porto was one of my favorites! We went to Porto for a long weekend where we all stayed in a hostel together. In Porto we did a walking tour, and later a boat tour. We also got to go to a concert at one of the most famous Music Halls. Other excursions included going to a soccer game at one of Lisbon's most famous stadiums, doing a tuk-tuk tour, and more.

Know that if you choose to study abroad in Portugal through CIEE you will be well taken care of and you will have so much fun. I studied abroad both semesters my junior year and Portugal was the more "holistic" study abroad experience.

Patrick

Cowabunga

Lisbon is a warm, welcoming city, and a fantastic place to study abroad. Rich food and history can be found around every corner, along with stunning views of the city and riverfront. To say the least, Lisbon is a fantastic place to get lost in. If you're a fan of wine, pastries, seafood, espresso, architecture, adventure, history, or meeting people then you'll undoubtably find your niche here.

Studying though CIEE provided me the support I needed, the freedom to explore, and the guidance to experience things that I otherwise would have missed.