CIEE Russian Language in St. Petersburg, Russia

CIEE Russian Language in St. Petersburg, Russia

Advance your Russian language skills through an intensive and immersive study abroad program in beautiful St. Petersburg.

Whether you’re a intermediate or advanced level language student you’ll enjoy rigorous coursework, and an enriching cultural program of lectures and local excursions in and around one of the world’s most culturally and historically rich cities. And with homestays, peer language partners, volunteering opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Russia offers you a uniquely immersive international experience.

Study abroad in Russia and you will:

- Take part in the longest running study abroad program in Russia in magnificent St. Petersburg where the entire downtown is a protected UNESCO heritage site

- Live with a local Russian host family for maximum linguistic and cultural immersion

Europe » Russia » St. Petersburg
Europe » Russia
Russian and Eastern European Studies
Russian
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Eleanor
New York
University of Vermont

cool experience

I chose to go to Russia so I could receive enough credits to graduate with a Russian language degree. I had no idea what to expect from living with a host family that spoke almost exclusively Russian or taking classes that were taught in Russian. This being said, choosing to be in St. Petersburg was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I don't think I am a particularly shy person, but whenever it came to speaking Russian out loud in my classes at my home university, I. would keep my mouth shut and avoid making eye contact with my professor so as not to be chosen. In Russia, however, I didn't always have the option of asking my questions in English, nor did I have the option to avoid participating in the small classes. I felt so much better about speaking after living with my very loving (and very patient) host parents and Russian buddies. I felt that as I learned the language I also became bolder and more willing to force myself out of my comfort zone.
Initially, I was hesitant to study abroad in Russia because I always wanted to travel while I was abroad and I was worried that being in Russia would hinder that. CIEE leaves a week for students to travel (I recommend Georgia) and there are plenty of weekends towards the end of the semester to explore other countries or Russian cities. Even if you don't travel there are always new things to explore in St. Petersburg such as the Udelnaya Flea Market and the different expositions at Etagi Loft.
I think there is a study abroad program out there for everyone, but coming from someone who was incredibly skeptical of the CIEE program at first, I couldn't imagine not taking part in that experience now.

Mikulas
Philadelphia, PA
Drexel University

Time of my life

What a city, what a country. Going to Saint Petersburg for my study abroad was probably the best decision I made in a while. The city is beautiful and people are friendly, though they usually don't speak English. Schoolwise I had a great time. Faculty and CIEE administration people were helpful and crazy nice. My Russian improved by a lot which I am really thankful for, mainly because I stayed with host family and we spoke a lot, aka I definitely recommend staying with a host family.

Stricter academics

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world