CIEE Russian Language in St. Petersburg, Russia

students at the Memorial Museum of Cosomonautics
students at the Memorial Museum of Cosomonautics
city squre in St. Petersburg, Russia
city squre in St. Petersburg, Russia

Advance your Russian language skills through an intensive and immersive study abroad program in beautiful St. Petersburg.

Whether you’re a intermediate or advanced level language student you’ll enjoy rigorous coursework, and an enriching cultural program of lectures and local excursions in and around one of the world’s most culturally and historically rich cities. And with homestays, peer language partners, volunteering opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Russia offers you a uniquely immersive international experience.

Study abroad in Russia and you will:

- Take part in the longest running study abroad program in Russia in magnificent St. Petersburg where the entire downtown is a protected UNESCO heritage site

- Live with a local Russian host family for maximum linguistic and cultural immersion

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Christina

Rush to Russia for the Experience of a Lifetime!

If you love history, culture, food, new experiences, and new adventures unlike anything you could ever imagine-- studying abroad in Russia is definitely for you. I had been studying Russian language for two years before coming abroad with CIEE and I have definitely fast tracked my progress in the language in just one semester! The classes are small and focused on your individual progress and the professors are warm-hearted, kind, and most importantly dedicated to your advancement in the language. The academic coordinators serve as an incredible support system and they are ready to help you along the way whether you need a tutor because you've fallen behind, a tutor because you are blazing forward, or any other concern you may have. The program coordinators actively plan activities and excursions to keep you culturally immersed and out of your comfort zone in the best way possible, while simultaneously curating events such as Thanksgiving and helping you find the activities you love at home, abroad. If you're anything like me, you'll be a bit weary to commit to living with a host family but I advise you to take the chance! Living with a host family has been one of the most rewarding aspects of this program. My host parents were always encouraging me to speak Russian and they really helped build my confidence with the language. Every day we would share delicious meals together and talk about our day-- it really made me feel like I was part of the family. As someone who has also studied abroad in Paris, I can honestly say I prefer my time in Saint Petersburg-- I am so thankful to CIEE for their excellent organization and curation of this program, and the incredible professors, advisers, staff, and host families who make this experience worthwhile. Thank you CIEE!

Don't be shy, talk to people, practice the language as much as you can and don't worry about making mistakes! My advise to new travels is to get comfortable, being uncomfortable!
Eleanor

cool experience

I chose to go to Russia so I could receive enough credits to graduate with a Russian language degree. I had no idea what to expect from living with a host family that spoke almost exclusively Russian or taking classes that were taught in Russian. This being said, choosing to be in St. Petersburg was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I don't think I am a particularly shy person, but whenever it came to speaking Russian out loud in my classes at my home university, I. would keep my mouth shut and avoid making eye contact with my professor so as not to be chosen. In Russia, however, I didn't always have the option of asking my questions in English, nor did I have the option to avoid participating in the small classes. I felt so much better about speaking after living with my very loving (and very patient) host parents and Russian buddies. I felt that as I learned the language I also became bolder and more willing to force myself out of my comfort zone.
Initially, I was hesitant to study abroad in Russia because I always wanted to travel while I was abroad and I was worried that being in Russia would hinder that. CIEE leaves a week for students to travel (I recommend Georgia) and there are plenty of weekends towards the end of the semester to explore other countries or Russian cities. Even if you don't travel there are always new things to explore in St. Petersburg such as the Udelnaya Flea Market and the different expositions at Etagi Loft.
I think there is a study abroad program out there for everyone, but coming from someone who was incredibly skeptical of the CIEE program at first, I couldn't imagine not taking part in that experience now.

Mikulas

Time of my life

What a city, what a country. Going to Saint Petersburg for my study abroad was probably the best decision I made in a while. The city is beautiful and people are friendly, though they usually don't speak English. Schoolwise I had a great time. Faculty and CIEE administration people were helpful and crazy nice. My Russian improved by a lot which I am really thankful for, mainly because I stayed with host family and we spoke a lot, aka I definitely recommend staying with a host family.

Stricter academics