CIEE Summer Russian Area Studies in St. Petersburg, Russia

Come explore the splendor that is St. Petersburg in summer. Begin or continue your Russian language studies, enroll in courses on a variety of topics, and examine the intriguing complexities of Russia’s past and present in the warm weather and white nights.

And with homestays, peer language tutors, cultural activities, and excursions that allow you to explore the city and the surrounding areas, studying abroad in Russia offers you an exciting and uniquely immersive international experience.

Study abroad in Russia and you will:

- Begin or conintue your Russian language studies in spectacular St. Petersburg, where the entire downtown is a protected UNESCO heritage site

- Gain insight into Russian history, politics, business, and culture through courses taught in English

- Enjoy a rich cultural program including local and regional excursions to museums, historical sites, and theaters, and interaction with locals

Study Abroad Risk Free!

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with our Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Isabel

Summer Russian Area Studies in St Petersburg

The summer between my freshman and sophomore years, I studied abroad with CIEE in St Petersburg for four weeks and I absolutely loved it! Before going on the trip, CIEE helped to prepare me for my study abroad experience by providing everything from a comprehensive program handbook to detailed instructions on how to acquire a visa for my trip (which is a pretty tricky process when it comes to Russia). All of this was made available on their website, which was easy to navigate and to use. When I got to St Petersburg, CIEE staff were there with signs to pick me up at my arrival gate, and they accompanied me all the way to my host family's residence that day. My host family was kind and generous, and they were also really experienced with this sort of thing -- I was not the first student that they had hosted through CIEE, and they clearly knew what they were doing (which was a relief since everything about this experience was new to me). On my first full day in Russia, the CIEE Student Services Coordinator took us to their office in St Petersburg, and there we had a comprehensive orientation during which we discussed the program schedule and expectations along with cultural differences between the US and Russia, and then afterwards had a field trip around the city to acquire practical things like metro cards and Russian burner phones. For the rest of the trip, our small group went on many field trips together to really incredible sites, all with CIEE's english-speaking tour guide, who enriched our tours with interesting facts and personal stories. We also did really cool cultural excursions, like visiting a баня (banya -- basically, a Russian sauna) and taking a Russian cooking class. Throughout it all -- and despite the fact that I knew ZERO Russian going into this experience -- I never felt unsafe or overwhelmed because I knew that the CIEE staff in St Petersburg would be there to help me if I needed it. All in all, it was a once-in-a-lifetime sort of trip, and I am glad that I chose to take it with CIEE.

I don't have any real complaints