CIEE Summer Russian Language in St. Petersburg

students in Russia
students in Russia
students in St. Petersburg, Russia
students in St. Petersburg, Russia

Come experience the splendor that is St. Petersburg in summer. Spend eight weeks advancing your Russian language skills through an intensive and immersive academic and cultural study abroad program.

Whether you’re a intermediate or advanced level language student you’ll enjoy rigorous coursework and an enriching cultural program of lectures and local excursions in and around one of the world’s most culturally and historically rich cities. And with homestays, peer language partners, volunteer opportunities, and a variety of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Russia offers you a uniquely immersive international experience.

Study abroad in Russia and you will:

- Experience the longest running study abroad program in Russia in spectacular St. Petersburg, where the entire downtown is a protected UNESCO heritage site

- Improve your Russian through intensive Russian language training for intermediate and advanced students

Win up to $3,000 for 2020 Study Abroad with CIEE!

Put “study abroad” on your 2020 calendar! Enter the Seize the Season Sweepstakes for a chance to be one of eight lucky students who will share up to $24,000 in study abroad scholarships with CIEE. Choose your prize: $1,500 toward any of 80+ summer study abroad programs or $3,000 toward any of 100+ fall study abroad programs. The sweepstakes ends on April 15, 2020. Enter today!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Mikaela

Best. Summer. Ever!

This program was the perfect fit for me - it was a great mix of classroom and real-world learning. I got to take classes in Russian during school hours, then got to practice while visiting all the sights in the city! The option for staying with a host family was also an amazing experience because I got to have a closer connection to a Russian family and use more practical Russian. If you are hoping to learn Russian in any capacity, definitely use this program! In my Summer 2019 group, there were students from many years of Russian under their belt to people who had never taken a single class. We all got an amazing education in those short 8 weeks and all learned a lot! The CIEE staff were also amazing to work with. It was my first time traveling and they all made me feel very comfortable and safe!

Take advantage of all the time you have there. Go see the museums that lots of tourists go to, but also visit other ones that not many people know about. Chances are your funny and unique stories will be about the places not many people visit. Also, go outside your comfort zone! You never know if something will lead to the best day of your life!
Maggie

CIEE St. Petersburg, Russian Area Studies Program

I completed the Russian Area Studies Program with CIEE St. Petersburg in spring of 2017. I had wanted to study in Russia, and specifically St. Petersburg, due to a fascination for pre-revolutionary Russian history as well as a love of Dostoevsky's classic novel Crime and Punishment. CIEE's program was the only program in St. Petersburg that was pre-approved by my university, so it was an easy choice. I had originally wanted to do the Russian Language Program, but since I had only taken three semesters of Russian, I didn't qualify for it so I applied for the Area Studies program instead. It was one of the best choices of my life. Not only is the city full to bursting of palaces, museums, and art galleries (not to mention the historically preserved architecture of the city centre), but the CIEE program was well organized and super fun. The staff was extremely helpful and approachable. Excursions--ranging from optional walking tours of historic sites to mandatory trips to Moscow and Pushkinskie Gori--were offered extremely frequently, often with tours available in both Russian and English. Although the St. Petersburg weather lives up to its reputation as unpredictable and often downright unpleasant, the days spent at the Smolny campus more than made up for the conditions outside. This program gave me the opportunity to live with a host family, improve my Russian, and learn more about this complex country and the city I resided in. I made tons of new friends and everyone on my program were super tightly knit. Although I have many favorite memories, one that will particularly stick with me is when we took a bus tour of the city during one of the very first days after arriving in St. Petersburg. It was the first glance we got at the city centre. As we were driving back to the orientation hotel, at barely 5pm, the sun was already set. We drove down Nevsky Prospekt, the main thoroughfare of the city. All of the buildings were lit up, and it started to snow. I realized that the city, although very good looking at all times, was most beautiful at night, as people bustled along down the sidewalks under the glow of the lights and the freshly falling snow. It was a good start to a fantastic semester.

I often did not feel challenged enough academically. However, I think part of this was due to the fact that my classes were in English and not in Russian (the Area Studies courses, with the exception of the Russian language courses, were all in English, while the Language Program courses were all in Russian). Other than that, I have basically no complaints.
Max

CIEE St. Petersburg Summer 2015

The summer I spent in St. Petersburg was a life-changing experience. My goal was to achieve fluency with my language skills, but I received much more than that. My diving head first into all the events and opportunities CIEE provided I was exposed to all aspects of Russian culture and life in St. Petersburg. The coursework was engaging and the campus is gorgeous. The tours were well organized, interesting, and I always learned more than I expected. The staff were absolutley wonderful. More than anything, however, I learned from the young Russians I met during my time there. I made multiple lifelong friends through the program's events to help us students meet Russians our age. I would highly recommend the program to anyone looking for a new adventure and especially for those with a proficient level in Russian language. My advice for students going to St. Petersburg is to go on every tour, attend every event, and take advantage of your free time. Go explore with Russian friends, don't spend all your time with your classmates. That is how you will maximize your brief, but unforgettable time in the Venice of the north.