GEI Rwanda | Women & Leadership

This 3-week field course in Rwanda is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with groups of disadvantaged local women and girls in order to develop leadership qualities.

The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and volunteer as guest trainers for groups of school girls. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.

Dates: July 21-August 10, 2019

• Participate in leadership training workshops by local field experts.
  • Volunteer to teach leadership skills to Rwandan school girls.
  • Engage in project-based service-learning work at the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
  • Interview Rwandan women and girls and create stories relating to a pre-determined theme in order to complete your coursework.
  • Explore the ‘Land of a Thousand Hills’ through unique excursions and a safari.

Frank

I would go again in a second!

The experience of studying abroad gives a surreal feeling of personal growth right before your eyes. I made wonderful life-long friends from all over the world and met some incredible people. I really liked this program because there was a great balance of letting us be independent while also providing ample opportunities to see and experience Rwandan culture. People are amazingly welcoming and always curious about where you're coming from and what brought you to their country.
My favorite moment was when the woman I interviewed for an article took me in her arms at the end of the conversation and thank me for listening to her story and give power to her voice. I will remember her face expression forever.
I would have liked more time to prepare for the final presentation but otherwise, I wouldn't change anything. The class on storytelling was eye-opening for me and I will try to use stories in the future to convey important information, which is essential as I'm studying environmental sciences.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I think I would have booked a later flight to travel in the region with my fellow classmates met during the program. Some visited Uganda and others went to Kenya for a week or so.
Savannah

Amazing Internship Experience

This internship was a life changing opportunity for me. The close interactions with the Nyamibrambo Women’s Center and other NGOs provided valuable first hand experience of how to begin these NGOs and how they run. On this internship I learnt so much about Rwanda and it’s people, it’s history, and resilience. I learnt to extend myself beyond my comfort zone and developed new and valuable academic skills while doing so - these include experience with editing, writing, photographing, marketing, hands on volunteer work, researching, and putting together proposals. My favorite part of the internship was writing blog posts for the women of the NWC, I was so inspired by the lady I was given to write on and learnt so much about leadership from her. The part of the internship that had the most impact on me was working with the Her Voice Matters program - I got to meet and contribute to the valuable work these women are doing to advance women both educationally and culturally in Rwanda.

I would have like to know what exactly to expect to work on and be doing in Rwanda, and how best to prepare for it as I probably would have done so differently. However, this did not at all take away from the value of the experience.
McKenna

Great Program, Amazing Experiences

I am so grateful that I decided to participate in this program. I fell in love with Rwanda and I was inspired by the many women we worked with. I definitely gained more than I was able to give. I was able to learn many new business-related skills as we interned for the Nyamirambo Women's center, as well as teamwork and leadership skills. I know that these skills will continue to be of value to me throughout my life. I enjoyed being able to interact with so many different organizations who are making a real positive impact in their communities and the lives of individuals. After participating in this program, I have a renewed desire to follow the example of the women that we worked with in finding ways to create real and sustainable change in the world by lifting and empowering others.

It would have been nice to know a bit more specifically what kind of work I was going to be doing before actually going to Rwanda. I didn't realize until I got there how much business-related work we were going to be doing like helping the Nyamirambo Women's Center come up with new sales strategies, marketing techniques, etc. I didn't have really any experience in any of these areas so I felt a bit overwhelmed at first. But I was able to learn a lot!
Kayla

Women and Leadership Service Learning

This was such an incredible program! This country and culture is unlike anything I have experienced and I really loved getting to interact with the people, and informally learning about the country as I walked through the market in Kigali.
One of the days we participated in a wonderful workshop by Generation Rise about storytelling and leadership where I was able to share my values and hear the values of the other team members, learn the correct structure of a good story, and then to hear other people’s story as well as sharing my own. I had never done any activity like this but it was crazy to see how much I learned about myself, my team members, and the people of Rwanda in such a short amount of time. The time goes so fast while you are there which was sad because I felt like I couldn't soak in everything that I want to!
One of my team members and I taught a workout class to the amazing women at the Nyamirambo Women’s Center. We split up so we were in different rooms leading at the same time. I was nervous to be on my own, but the women remembered the exercises and were so excited to get up and do them! It made me so happy because those exercises were really focusing on their health and well-being (which is what I am studying in Public Health).
I love Rwanda and all of the work we did here, my new found friends, and the countless memories!!