This 3-week field course in Rwanda is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with groups of disadvantaged local women and girls in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and volunteer as guest trainers for groups of school girls. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
Dates: July 21-August 10, 2019
- Participate in leadership training workshops by local field experts.
- Volunteer to teach leadership skills to Rwandan school girls.
- Engage in project-based service-learning work at the Nyamirambo Women’s Center.
- Interview Rwandan women and girls and create stories relating to a pre-determined theme in order to complete your coursework.
- Explore the ‘Land of a Thousand Hills’ through unique excursions and a safari.