CIEE January in Cape Town

This program has been paused and is currently not being offered. View more programs from CIEE.

Earn credits in Cape Town this January and witness the incredible changes taking place in this vibrant country. January in Cape Town features two course offerings: From Rhodes to Mandela and from Apartheid to AIDS, or Economics of Wine. Both courses are taught at the CIEE Global Institute – Cape Town and complemented with immersive co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.

• Study in South Africa a dynamic developing country
  • Experience the beauty of the summer season in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • Gain insight into the historical and political transition from Apartheid (segregation) to a democratic South African society

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship to Ireland!

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is a unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.

This fully funded summer 2021 study abroad program to Dublin, Ireland is developed for students of color with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.

CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Paige

Great Experience!

I really enjoyed the course "From Rhodes to Mandela and Apartheid to AIDS"! Interesting content, awesome professor, and great guest speakers. CIEE: Cape Town is in a great location with a lot of food options nearby, and with the amount of security in the building, I always felt safe. By the end of J-term, I felt I knew the city well. The RAs were very friendly and helpful, and were always willing to give recommendations for things to do in the city. There was a good mix of events planned by CIEE and free time.

Go out a little early, or stay late! The J-term program goes very fast, so I recommend making sure you have a few extra days to do some longer excursions out of Cape Town.
Jordan

Economics of Wine - TAKE THIS COURSE!

Taking the Economics of Wine course in South Africa was one of the best decisions I ever made! Not only is Cape Town absolutely gorgeous, but the course was probably my favorite that I've ever taken. Our professor, Annalize, is one of the most interesting and knowledgeable people I've ever had the chance to meet, and the course was incredibly insightful. Because we were a class of three, we were able to have more personalized class discussions and partake in some pretty amazing co-curricluars which included having a personal meeting with Managing Directors, Head Wine Makers, and Marketing and Outreach positions of the wine farms. The country is beautiful, and not only did I get a whole new look on the wine industry, I got to step outside of my comfort zone while doing so.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
South Africa has a multitude of different cultures, and thus has a lot of different foods to go with them; and luckily they're all delicious! We went to and Eziko cooking school, went to a Xhosa restaurant that was owned by one of the RAs, and got to have a meal and house visit to some of the families in the townships. Each of these gave an insight into the associated culture, and we got to try so many new things; and help make some of them too! Samp and beans is a staple, and I liked it so much I might just have to learn how to make it back home.