This 3-week field course in South Africa is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with groups of local girls in Cape Town in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and volunteer as guest mentor for groups of high school girls. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with local high schools.
Dates: July 28-August 17, 2019
- Participate in leadership training workshops by South African field experts.
- Teach leadership skills to South African school girls.
- Understand the challenges, constraints and opportunities that urban girls face in different communities and socio-economic groups.
- Create stories and use visuals to document girls’ stories in Cape Town.
- Discover a multi-cultural city world-renowned for its beauty.