This 3-week field course is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development – through the lense of youth artists. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will work with youth development organizations in Cape Town in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and study social-emotional competence. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with adolescent youth of Xhosa descent. The highlight will be the planning and production of a concert as an entrepreneurial development opportunity.
Dates: July 7-27, 2019
- Sing, dance and drum around the campfire, in townships and at your very own event.
- Help talented teenagers to feel heard, understood and appreciated.
- roduce an exciting event side by side with local youth.
- See South Africa through the eyes of some of its most promising people.
- Meet the leaders of several inspiring youth development organizations.