CIEE Arts + Sciences in Seoul, South Korea

CIEE’s Arts and Sciences program is designed for students to learn at a top-ranked Korean university and experience everyday life in Seoul – a World Design Capital and the center of popular culture featuring the fastest internet in the world. Select from courses taught in either English or Korean at our partner school, Yonsei University, as well as CIEE Seoul across a wide array of subjects, including Korean language, architecture, engineering, computer science, business, international relations, and history. You can also make strides in your language learning by volunteering in the community or practicing with Korean language buddies from the university. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Select from 1000 courses in English across many disciplines including STEM; opt to boost language skills and take Korean taught at all levels
  • Experience Korean life and spend a weekend with a local family or even the entire semester in a homestay.
  • Make instant Korean friends with the CIEE Seoul Mates program.

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship to Ireland!

Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship is a unique international program to develop change leaders who make an impact on their community and the world.

This fully funded summer 2021 study abroad program to Dublin, Ireland is developed for students of color with special emphasis on leadership, social justice, agitation for positive change and cross-cultural understanding.

CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Brianna

A Semester in Seoul

I admit I had set the bar really high for my semester in Seoul, but I was not disappointed. It was just as beautiful and exciting as I expected. I didn't realize that Seoul itself had different provinces and that surprised me but made me more excited. When I got to the Collage Campus, I got lost because it was big and a little confusing, however, when I got used to it it was exciting just walking to class and see the changing season. My classes weren't all that hard and even if I had trouble the teachers were really understanding and helpful. I think the only thing that got me was the big language barrier, but I had both friends who could translate and the people would understand and switch to English. I loved my semester here and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to study abroad!

Do not be afraid to ask someone for help. The first day I was here I and a couple friends got lost and we were embarrassed so we didn't ask for help, however, someone did come up to us and asked if we were lost. We said yes, and they helped us find where we wanted to go. Everyone here is really helpful and kind and patient, so do not be afraid to ask for help.
Read my full story
Valeria

The Seoul Experience

I came to study abroad in Seoul for Spring of 2019. I had such an amazing experience making new friends and exploring my surroundings with them. I visited many different themed cafes while in Seoul and new foods that I would never have tried back home. I feel that my favorite cafe are the ones I was able to experience with my friends for the first time. Also, a lot of the cafes are cute for trying new drinks and desserts but also for photos!! The staff in my program are all extremely friendly that when I was unable to attend an event I let them know and they would make sure that I was okay. They would also plan many fun activities and experiences to help you adjust to your time in Seoul. They also gave us many opportunities to volunteer and it was fun getting to hang out with both children and teens! It felt like I had a second family here in Seoul that whenever I got homesick I was happy to have them!!

What was your funniest moment?
Planning to go to IKEA for fun with my friend but we ended up getting lost on the way to IKEA! It was crazy but we found someone who knew English and they let us know how to make our way to IKEA. We got on one of the small yellow bus and the best part of the ride was the fact that it was playing wheels on the bus throughout the whole ride! My friend and I never had so much fun! When we finally got to IKEA we were laughing and having a lot of fun!! End of the day we did a lot of walking and we got to eat IKEA food.
Elizabeth

CIEE makes Seoul so much more!

CIEE gave me a support system that many people here did not have. Yonsei does not have good support for international students, so CIEE was a huge help to me whenever I needed help with something (like going to the doctor), and they were always willing to help. It is pricey, but it is worth it in the number of excursions that they organize for you. I was able to go to Busan and stay in a nice hotel with CIEE, all included in the cost. This was especially great because we went during the Busan International Film Festival, and I was able to see a movie there! They also pair you with a Korean student, called a Seoulmate, and they take you on activities as well. My study abroad experience would not have been the same if I had not gone with CIEE. I recommend it to anyone looking to go to Seoul.

The housing selection is not the best, but this is not the fault of CIEE. Yonsei international programs support is non-existent and they are honestly the worst. Don't count on them helping you.
Santeiu

Will Be Returning

This is a very good program. This is my first time studying abroad and I already know that I will return to Korea to reach English because of this program. The staff was the most important part of my study abroad experience as they were available to me 24/7. They helped me even with issues I had that were unrelated to the program. 100% would recommend to friends and will be returning to Korea soon.

Nerys

The Adventure of a Lifetime!

CIEE Study Abroad Review
I highly, highly, highly recommend the CIEE study abroad program! This program gave me the adventure that I yearned for for years! The program also immersed me into Korean culture on the first days of arriving in Seoul, South Korea. As an Academic Year Participant from 2017 to 2018, I have experienced traditional Hanok villages in Jeonju and Namwon, relaxed at a four-star hotel overlooking the hustle-and-bustle of Busan locals while being located ten minutes from Haeundae Beach, gone to the first island I have ever visited at Jeungdo, and so much more. My favorite of these excursions overall was taking the convenient KTX train to Jeungdo Island.
Two years before coming to Korea, the majority of what I watched were repeated episodes of my favorite variety show, “2 Days and 1 Night”. This variety show consists of members whom educate the viewer about the tourist attractions and history of South Korea and the natural beauty that this country is renowned for. This show was one of the many reasons why I came to Korea. Where I am from, there is very little entertaining activities to do. If I wanted to travel, it would require days of planning and also very long distances to cross. “2 Days and 1 Night” had me longing for adventurous locations to experience. Jeungdo Island was actually advertised on the show. The CIEE program gave me this opportunity in an effortless and stressless manner. I was able to experience much of what the members had, such as, walking through the ocean waters bare-foot, scraping salt and eating salt ice cream, hunting for seashells, slipping and sliding on the mud flats while the ocean crabs watched me fall, and tasting the organic, fresh, and healthy foods of the island. I never ate so many unique seaweed, which was surprisingly delicious!
Instead of wishing to experience these activities through a laptop screen from videos on Youtube, CIEE gave me this rare opportunity to take part in the activities in person that my favorite “2 Days and 1 Night” members introduced me to. It will be very difficult to leave South Korea because of its many conveniences and popular attractions, but I know that one day I will return again to continue the adventures that come with living here in Korea. CIEE gave me a sneak-peek of what is yet to come and I thank each person and the caring and organized staff who took part in giving me this rare opportunity. Thank you so much CIEE!!!
For future participants, I advise to take the leap and study abroad! The process getting there many be intimidating, but all that you learn, whether good or bad, is definitely worth it. Going abroad will teach you more about yourself as well as the people and culture of your host country. Please do not miss this adventurous and life changing opportunity!

It would be great for studying aborad to be advirtised better worldwide. I almost missed this opportunity because of hwo little I was informed about the possibility where I am from.
Yulian

Excellent!

CIEE was a great study abroad program. It had different events to get the us engaged in the Korean culture. They took us on different excursions to see other parts of South Korea other than Seoul. And gave us tours of places like the DMZ. Through CIEE we got to meet other South Korean students as well and got to see how being a student in South Korea is different than in the US. The university that CIEE connected us with was also very nice. It was nice to be in one of the highlights of Seoul!

Overall, the program was great and I would receommend this program for anyone that wants to study abroad! It makes things much easier and much more convenient!

Rajshree

CIEE at Yonsei University

CIEE was the reason it was so easy to adjust to going abroad. There is an orientation that starts over a week before classes begin and it gives you the opportunity to explore with their guidance of the staff, learn about the culture before you settle in, and get comfortable with your new surroundings. Throughout the semester, there are continuously activities being planned that help you to get know your community and there are even excursions that provide a refreshing look at the country outside of the city. Whenever issues or questions arise, I always trusted the staff to assist with their full attention, so I never felt unsafe or lost since their support was always readily available. I had an amazing time going abroad and it was all the more enriching and fulfilling because of CIEE.

Read my full story
Kacy

Without a Doubt, Highly Recommend

Studying in Korea was the greatest experience of my life and going with CIEE only made it better. Non-CIEE international students often expressed jealousy that our program allowed us to be close to one another and provided us with an easy network to make friends with which to go on our adventures abroad. The staff is extremely helpful and supportive and they always respond quickly, especially when we need help with stressful situations (such as somehow managing to lose your entire purse while out clubbing). Academically, the coursework wasn't too difficult in comparison to my home university, with the exception of Intensive Korean Language--which is, indeed, "intensive." Thankfully, CIEE has a great optional study group for its students to help with language skills. Yonsei is beautiful (to the extent that many reality shows and tv dramas actually film on our campus!) and the chances to participate in clubs and other student activities are seemingly endless. CIEE, of course, organizes amazing cultural activities and volunteer opportunities which allow you to get the most out of your time abroad. All in all, I would definitely recommend studying in Korea--especially if you have the chance to do so with all of the advantages that CIEE has to offer.

The only important note I have to offer CIEE is that most of our guest speakers and tour guides concerning Korean culture were white Americans rather than Koreans. Of course I understand that anyone can be an academic expert about any culture through study and that language barriers may have played a hand in this outcome, but it bothered me that a lot of the people educating us about Korean culture were not Korean in terms of ethnicity or nationality.