CIEE Summer Korean Studies in Seoul, South Korea

CIEE Summer Korean Studies in Seoul, South Korea

Spend your summer exploring the culture, business practices, and language of Korea.

Through elective courses in English, options for Korean language study, site visits, and cultural activities you’ll develop a understanding of South Korean society and the country’s recent emergence as one of the world’s major industrialized nations.

Study abroad in Korea and you will:

- Choose from a range of courses in international business, science and technology, humanities, social sciences, and the arts as well as the Korean cultural wave Hallyu, East Asian studies, and Korean studies

- Visit Korean organizations, museums, temples, and historic sites

- Explore the DMZ and other locations of national and cultural significance

- Learn Korean through language courses at all levels of instruction and take non-credit courses in traditional Korean martial arts, cooking, and music

Asia » South Korea » Seoul
Sociology
Letters of Recommendation
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.

Sammy

My Experience with CIEE Seoul

I truly recommend this program to anyone interested in learning more about Korean culture. The CIEE Seoul program introduces you to many aspecte of the culture over the course of the summer program. You'll spend several days before classes start traveling around South Korea, exploring historical sights and trying new and different foods. And when classes start, you'll notice you already have an enormous group of friends to call when you need anything. CIEE Seoul allows you to make lifelong friends from both America and from Seoul. My favorite aspect of the CIEE program was the opportunity to make close connections to both the staff and the interns (Seoulmates <3).

I would suggest more intereaction with the Seoulmates, more assistance with the traveling aspect of the program, and better housing accommodations. SK Global House is convenient, but I found the rules to be too strict. I realize this is out of CIEE's control, though.

Cessely
Wilmington, North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

Go to Korea!

While most students go abroad to learn new languages and to explore new cultures, I chose to go abroad to rediscover my heritage. My mother and I last saw our family when I was four, so the opportunity to study abroad in Korea while fitting it into my academic schedule was a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a science student, going abroad can be unfeasible, especially in many non-English speaking countries. However, a summer term fit perfectly as it allows you take a small break but will not interfere with your academic schedule. CIEE also allowed me to live with my grandmother, which helped me make sure I was able to spend more time with her and my family. CIEE also made sure to expose us to Korean culture through cultural activities. We visited the DMZ, museums, temples, volunteered in the community, and attended lectures on Korean culture.

As for the university we attended, Yonsei University, it is a beautiful campus! It is located next to Ewha Womens University, another beautiful campus, and Sinchon, which has plenty of restaurants and stores. Since we only had classes four days a week, we took the opportunity to utilize Seoul's public transportation system to explore. The system is fast, reliable and there is plenty of instructions in English. When it comes to Seoul, it is a city that seems to never sleep and never runs out of things to do! Coffee shops and Karaoke are everywhere alongside department stores, outside markets, and clothing stores. After getting a taste of modern Seoul, you can glimpse into Korea's history by visiting the many museums, palaces, and temples throughout Seoul.

CIEE made sure we participated with the community through volunteer work, tours, visiting a high school, and participating in cultural experiences. Despite being able to interact with the community, most of the participants and I agreed that it was difficult to meet fellow Korean students. Our courses, naturally, consisted of mainly international students and our dorms were entirely international students. I know at other some of the other universities they had a buddy system were a Korean student was paired with an international student. This way, as an international student, you would have someone to contact or help you integrate into the culture better. CIEE staff played this role, but they were also our program coordinators. I believe that if we had more opportunities to meet fellow Korean students we may learn more about Korean culture and language.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world