CIEE Advanced Liberal Arts in Seville, Spain

CIEE Advanced Liberal Arts in Seville, Spain

Achieve fluency in spoken and written Spanish while pursuing a wide variety of coursework in the Capital of Andalusia.

Through direct enrolment in the Universidad de Sevilla, independent study options, homestays, a conversation exchange program, and volunteer opportunities, CIEE study abroad in Seville offers you a challenging, uniquely immersive academic and intercultural experience.

Study abroad in Seville and you will:

- Enroll in regular university courses—ideal for meeting Spanish students and improving your language skills; take classes in disciplines ranging from history and languages to anthropology and Arabic studies

- Explore sites of cultural importance through weekly cultural activities and excursions

- Fine-tune your language skills through the CIEE writing center and tutorials, Tertulia lecture series, personal development workshops, a conversation exchange, and volunteer opportunities

Europe » Spain » Seville
Letters of Recommendation
Language Requirement
The program fee includes:

- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits

CIEE also offers a wide variety of scholarships for participants; see website for details.
Seville/Sevilla

Carolyn
Wisconsin
Macalester College

Spring 2017 in Seville

The academics really depends on what classes you take. The difficulty of the content was not a problem for me; the real struggle came with trying to understand the professors. Eventually you get used to the way they speak and it will be fine, but the challenge really came from the language barrier, not the actual content of the classes. The classes at the local universities don't have much day-to-day work, they just have one big exam at the end of the semester. CIEE has tutors on-hand to help you with whatever courses you take, and I highly recommend using them to make sure you're on the right page. If you do that, then you shouldn't have any issues academically. There are plenty of opportunities to go out at night, and Feria de Abril is a must-even if you only go one day just to experience it. CIEE is always available if you need anything. They give you a lot of freedom to travel and experience Spain on your own, but all you have to do is ask (for walk-in clinics, lists of family-friendly restaurants in case your family visits, good flamenco shows, etc.).

Seville is one of the safest cities I've ever been in. While theft is an issue, violent crime is extremely low in Spain in general, so I felt very safe and very comfortable in this city during all hours of the day (or night). My host family was very helpful and took care of a lot of things for me, and they understood that as a college student I'd be coming and going on my own schedule.

Seville is a great city full of history, and you should definitely go to a flamenco show, a soccer game, and go to the beach at least once. I loved my time abroad and I would certainly choose this program again. There's time to travel (in Spain and out of it) and you can really get into the local lifestyle through the various holidays, especially during spring semester's Semana Santa and Feria de Abril. Seville is known for these events, so take advantage of them!

Molly
Iowa
Wartburg College

Connect with the Local Students with CIEE ALA

If you are looking to connect with the local students and practice your Spanish, ALA is the program to go with! When you take classes at the local universities, you are with local students and many are interested in talking and helping us with the classes. Also, CIEE has awesome interns, who provide workshops to learn about grammar or the culture, and they encourage students to speak in Spanish. The interns also invite students to get coffee a lot, which is a huge part of the culture. I still talk to these students even months after leaving.
If the idea of classes all in Spanish make you nervous, CIEE provides tutors for every class that you do, and they help you study or correct your grammar on papers. ALA also gives students some money to spend in Spain. I used part of the money to take Salsa and Bachata classes with a variety of people in Seville.

Nothing that I can think of! They had all the resources students needed.

Pandre
Colorado
University of Wisconsin- Madison

University of Seville-Seville

After my first experience abroad when I was 17 and then a summer abroad as a foreign exchange student when I was 18, I expanded my horizons further by living abroad for my entire junior year of college through the University of Sevilla program in Seville, Spain. The University of Sevilla has agreements with many domestic universities for study abroad in Sevilla and I went while I was at Michigan State University. What makes this program different from some other study abroad programs is that all the classes we took were on campus at the University of Sevilla and they were all in Spanish.

Our group was fairly large and included students who were in Sevilla for an entire year, like myself, and others who were there for a semester. We all arrived in Sevilla independently and some on different days, and then had a collective orientation in Sevilla where we reviewed some cultural information but primarily studied intense Spanish. The perquisite for the program was some fluency in Spanish, which we all had, some to more degree than others. The intense Spanish classes lasted about two weeks, during which time we were all getting accustomed to living with our host families or arranging other housing.

Originally, we were all placed with families but we were given the option to find our own housing if we desired. I moved out of my host family after a few weeks and into a boarding house. After a month there I moved into an apartment with two other students in the program and our piso (apartment) housed several students throughout the year who were in transition from a family or other living arrangements.

Our classes at the University of Sevilla were amazing – they were all in Spanish and taught by Spanish professors. All the exams, papers, homework – everything – was in Spanish. This was not a sugar coated version of Spanish classes, but actual courses at the University – like an agricultural class that taught all the ways to get olives from olive trees….reading El Mio Cid and Cien Anos de Soledad in Spanish, with papers and discussions in Spanish. Assimilating into life at the University meant meeting professors after class in the bar for office hours to discuss homework or questions. We met many students from other programs but none of them had the classes actually at the University and taught by university professors. This program was the real deal.

While we studied a lot and worked hard at class, the social aspects of living in Sevilla were phenomenal. We had a lot of vacation and most of the students traveled all over Europe on break, as well as throughout Spain. It was a long year and when I was over we were all ready to go home. Sevilla is an enchanting city and the University was wonderful. On my most recent visit to Seville, I actually ran into the coordinator of the program. It was a blast from the past and reminded me of how small Sevilla really can be, while having so much to offer, back then and still today.

Brooke
Elon, NC
Elon University

Sevilla abroad

I loved the program overall, and had an amazing experience learning the language, culture, and being in a new place. The only thing I wish was different was the housing. They place you in homestays that are pretty far away from each other, as well as most of them are a far walk from school as well which I thought was hard, especially at first.

Bsquared
Berkeley, CA
Boston College

Come to Sevilla.

Loved my time in Sevilla. The program attracts a great group of students and I had a blast while there. The housing where students lived was a bit spread all over the city (I was about a 40min walk from class), but everyone meets up for the botellon in a few parks/ plazas on weekends, so it wasn't bad. The classes through CIEE took things much more seriously (attendance was important, as was turning in homework), but the professors were generally good. The classes at the university of sevilla were much more laid back, the grade almost entirely dependent on the final exam, and little support. But not bad. Great time. Definitely recommend it.

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world