CIEE Communications, New Media + Journalism (English) in Seville

Whether you’re a beginning Spanish learner, or more advanced, you’re invited to the wonderful city of Seville to increase your knowledge of contemporary media culture and production. Students choose courses in English at CIEE’s partner school - EUSA School of Communications - from its three main degrees: Audiovisual Communication; Journalism; and Publicity and Public Relations. Spanish language learning is also available and encouraged to facilitate cultural immersion. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• CAPTURE SEVILLE with images, words, video, and sound as you develop skills and flex your creative muscles.
  • PUT YOUR IDEAS and talents together with other American and Spanish students to tackle a variety of media projects.
  • EXPLORE how digital tools and media – and easy access to them – could change the information market.

New Virtual Global Innovation Internship: CIEE x Hacker Exchange!

For ambitious students (who aren’t going to let something as inconvenient as a global pandemic impact their future plans).

Combine a 1-week entrepreneurial bootcamp with global industry professionals with a with 7- or 11-week virtual internship at companies around the world and gain job-ready skills to get you hired!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Maren

Smart program, useful classes, still second to the city

I picked this because I'm a comm major w/interest in journalism, and because of the urban setting and CIEE's varied extracurricular activities.
Staff and faculty are smart, caring people. Any help I needed could be found on the top floor of study center. They are open about safety, resources, etc. and they hold students to a high standard of using common sense. The response to COVID was calm, informed, and measured.
Students cared about their Spanish skills and immersion. The day trips are great, but the more frequent tours and activities throughout the week are awesome ways to meet more faculty, a super easy way to get to know the city and the social calendar as well as other students from CIEE's many programs. About half of my classes were fairly easy, the other half were more serious/high level work. All the classes had less reading required than at my home university. Magazine class focused on storytelling and Profe Oscar Ceballos cares passionately about the craft. My Cursos Concertados flamenco class was fantastic. The classes available to you are in the study center for the CNMJ, Nervion for business, Triana for a few more, like my dance class. The classes do not necessarily help you get out into the community in an interactive and deep way, that is more up to you to figure out how to build connections with vendors or citizens when you visit the market or the women's march with class. I expected it to push me more/harder to do that. Regardless, the opportunities are there!
Homestays are great, and for the CNMJ program their location is in La Alameda or La Macarena, home to a lively artist community and close to the river and Calle Feria, and closer to the study center than the other neighborhoods, so it is arguably the best homestay neighborhood CIEE has in Seville.
I loved walking everywhere, smelling the orange blossoms, and riding a bike, as well as weekend independent travel. I had a little trouble connecting with my homestay (only 8 weeks though cuz COVID) but we got along well. I was with another student and she interacted very little with me. CIEE's weekly activities and their first month-ish social helped add variety and meet new people.

Add variety to your schedule: join a club; sign up for excursions - the ones that are just a few hours are easy, comfortable, and show you great places to hang out in the city, and are free/included in tuition; take a class outside your focus (I took "History of Flamenco through Dance" and "Business Ethics," both classes for international students. almost, but not all, of students in these courses were from the USA and in Seville with CIEE). Look for a language exchange at a local restaurant or bar. CIEE's has mostly English speakers, and if you join a non-CIEE one you will meet people who have found things in the city you don't know about. CIEE's program is a great jumping off point, but not the end goal.
Another piece of advice for anyone abroad, in any program, is: Trust that you will find your place socially and that you are worthy of inclusion and appreciation. It can take effort, time, and chance to find security in your peers. This program is small though CIEE Seville is big and you might feel like the odd one out among 11 others at first, but it will work out. You're
Kevin

CIEE CNMJ

I mean, it was incredible. Absolutely amazing. I knew I wanted to study in Spain because I wanted to practice my Spanish, but I also wanted to be able to travel through Europe. I went abroad during my fourth year (out of 5) of college, and hadn't really taken many Spanish courses since high school. After my time in Seville, living with a host family and taking classes in Spanish, I can now put "Spanish (Conversational fluency)" on my resume without it feeling like a lie.

The host family I was paired up with was incredible, and we're still in touch and I love them dearly. And the support given by CIEE was so incredibly helpful. When it came to choosing classes, traveling around Europe, or general in-class support, the staff and professors went above and beyond to make sure all my questions were answered. I couldn't imagine a better group of people to studied under/with. The program director even began to help me search for opportunities to stay in Spain another semester after I mentioned to him I was thinking about it! They all really truly cared about the students and what they achieved, especially in the smaller CNMJ program.

The program also brought us on multiple excursions (Córdoba, Cádiz, Morocco...) and showed us around the cities in a fun and interesting way. And they struck the perfect balance between watching us/giving us support and also letting us explore the cities on our own.

Oh, and DUH I made some of the best friends of my life. I'm still in contact with some of the people from my program, and I'm actually living with one friend now! CIEE really knew how to establish a community.

I loved my time in Seville so much, and I really hope this review does a good job capturing that. I loved my time in Spain so much, that I'm actually living here again now that I've graduated from college! I'm so grateful for the opportunity CIEE gave me to learn about myself and my obsessive passion for travel and living abroad (sorry, mom!)

Honestly, I was thoroughly impressed by this program and how smoothly it operated. I can't think of any major grievances I had with the program. Everything was really well planned and smoothly executed!
Jenna

Life Changing Opportunity

I had studied Spanish for 8 years prior to my semester in Seville, Spain with CIEE's Communications, New Media & Journalism program. As a communications major, this program provided me with the best of both worlds--a way to combine my passion for storytelling with the goal of improving my fluency abroad. As a senior in my last semester of college, I'm looking toward the future and am feeling a strong draw to return to Spain. CIEE both supported and challenged me during a semester abroad, and from those moments of personal growth and pure bliss I feel confident in my decision to return for an extended stay post-grad.

The CNMJ professors are all about engaged learning. This is not a program where you'll coast through classes, but rather one where you'll create things with your peers to add to your portfolio. I interviewed locals and refugees for a bilingual magazine. I hit the streets to record podcasts on flamenco culture in Andalusia. I took an art course that toured me around Seville, taking me to the sites where the history actually occurred. The CNMJ program made sure that learning wasn't confined to the 4 walls of a classroom; a true experience abroad was built on cultural immersion. I am proud of the work that I completed while abroad, and it definitely has enhanced my professional portfolio when seeking internships and jobs back home in the states.

With the CNMJ program, we also went on trips to other cities and countries. There were only 33 people in the group, which made it easy to get to know new friends. We went to the port city of Cádiz for a day trip, and also spent a few days in Morocco where we were toured around by host families. The professors are so, so fun and very passionate about their jobs, which I appreciated.

The only downside to my CNMJ experience was with my host family. I ended up having to switch families, which was uncomfortable, but the CIEE staff made sure to coach me through the process. My second homestay was better, but it definitely was a more difficult transition abroad having to up and move again only a few weeks into the semester.

I would highly recommend this program to any communications major who is interested in an abroad experience in a Spanish speaking country. Seville is the perfect city for study abroad--I felt very safe, it's affordable, rich in history and a beautiful location. I'll forever cherish the memories I made during my semester abroad with CIEE CNMJ, and I look forward to returning to Spain soon.

The homestay application asked if I had any allergies and I specified I needed a non-smoking household. My placement was with a smoking family and I had to change houses which was a very stressful and a hassle. If my application were thoroughly considered, the problem could have been avoided.

Also, I didn't take the video production class, but a lot of my peers did. It would have be great if the CIEE CNMJ program had professional editing software (i.e. Adobe Premiere or Avid) to teach video editing techniques that are valuable to students when they return to the United States. It would also be cool to see a documentary course offered, similar in content to the podcasting course but of course with an emphasis on video production instead.
Marcela

CIEE CNMJ: The semester I learned the most

I spent the Fall semester of my junior year of undergrad in Seville, Spain as a member of the Communication, New Media, Journalism program. I chose to go to Seville because this program existed and it appealed to my major. To say I was satisfied with my academic and social experience in Seville would be an understatement. Not only did CNMJ push me academically in a way I had not anticipated, CIEE coordinated events and fostered friendships with peers and professors that will be valuable for the rest of my life. The CNMJ program taught me how to be a better journalist and creator of media. It pushed me out of my comfort zone, to set up interviews with Spaniards in a new language, and to tell the stories of the city. Aside from continuing to build a portfolio for myself and my future, I learned about this industry from a different cultural perspective with field trips and guest speakers. The staff and faculty of CNMJ are incredibly qualified and experienced in the communications field and have so much to teach and offer young minds. One of the biggest benefits was the full Spanish immersion this program offers, as all classes are in Spanish and your skills in both Spanish and Journalism are constantly growing. CNMJ taught me academically, but it also taught me about myself and helped me grow as an individual in ways I am very thankful.

Anna

CNMJ: A Personalized Study Abroad Experience

I absolutely loved studying abroad with CIEE Seville: Communications, New Media and Journalism (CNMJ). This program is much smaller than the general Liberal Arts one, which means you really get to know the other students -- I made some really close friends while studying abroad. I was lucky enough to be in Sevilla for the whole school year (2014-15) and could not be more grateful to the CNMJ program for such a life-changing experience.

One of the highlights of this program that makes it stand out from others is the trip to Morocco. In the middle of the semester, the CNMJ staff lead a FREE trip to several cities in Morocco with just the CNMJ students. You stay with host families in the beautiful city of Chefchaouen, giving you the opportunity to be completely immersed in the culture, eat authentic homemade Moroccan food (which is DELICIOUS), build a relationship with a specific family and learn a ton about life there. This was a truly unique experience for which I am incredibly grateful. I will never forget riding the ferry across the Strait of Gibraltar as Oscar, the amazing CNMJ Program Director, tells us, "See that land across the water? That's Africa."

CNMJ gave me some great opportunities to expand my communications knowledge and experience. Through Oscar's class, Magazine Reporting and Writing, students write articles for, take photographs for and design a high-quality magazine that is distributed throughout CIEE and various locations in downtown Sevilla. Carlos' class, New Media and Audiovisual Workshop, introduced me to the world of videography and gave me video editing skills that I did not previously have.

Marina's class, Social Justice, Action and Media, was one of the best classes I have ever taken in my life. Not only did we learn about crucial topics centering on human rights, but Marina is an amazing professor and an all-around wonderful person. She cares deeply about each and every one of her students and is interested in their lives -- and, in turn, her students care a lot about her.

I highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in developing their writing/media/general communications skills through high-quality, in-depth classes with small class sizes and wonderful, knowledgeable professors. I am still in touch with the program staff and hope to return to Sevilla in the near future. CIEE is great in general, but I recommend CNMJ in particular for a more intimate and personalized study abroad experience.

Savannah

CNMJ 2013-14

Admittedly, Spain was not at the top of my list when it came to selecting a country to study abroad in. I had known that I wanted to be overseas for a year, and with a last minute change in my initial study abroad plan and my degree requirements, I ultimately decided that CIEE's CNMJ Program in Sevilla was the best fit. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. Sevilla is one of the most precious cities I've ever visited; the laid back atmosphere is contagious, the people are wonderful, and few places have more ideal weather. However, it was also in part due to CNMJ that I felt at home so quickly. The staff cares about your wellbeing, the classes are personal, and the work can be challenging, but not overwhelming. There are tons of options for classes both within CIEE and the university, anything from Spanish linguistics to cooking. I lived with a host family that I adored and still keep in touch with, I made lifelong friends, and I improved my Spanish tremendously. I am someone that values my independence, and CNMJ encouraged this independence while making themselves available for any assistance along the way - including printing a boarding pass on a Sunday at the director's home because no shops were open. It's also worth mentioning that the director wrote me a recommendation which helped me to receive a Fulbright Scholarship upon graduating. I cannot say enough positives about CNMJ. Both during and after the program they have been extremely valuable to me.

The only suggestions that immediately come to mind would be to introduce all of the students that would be studying with CIEE in Sevilla for a year (not just CNMJ) before second semester, as well as integrate native Spanish speakers within the classes. Despite the fact that all of the classes were taught in Spanish, I continued to rely on English as I was primarily surrounded by Americans.
Bryce

CNMJ Is The Greatest

I knew I had hit the jackpot when I discovered this program, being that it was in Sevilla (the best city in Spain) and that it spoke of a very creative and involved environment that offered something much more than simply taking classes in a foreign country. What I found when I arrived, was that it would offer even more than I had expected: the courses and the program itself act as the catalyst in helping you discover, learn and love the city and its people. Through the involved classes, such as the audiovisual and magazine workshops, you are forced to immerse yourself into the culture by exploring, talking to the people of Sevilla and telling their stories. And while my love for Sevilla grew, my knowledge and skills for storytelling through media increased exponentially because I was surrounded by such passionate professors and well-designed assignments. While the course work is definitely intense, much more than what's required from students in other programs, it is definitely worth it in all manner of speaking. At times it may seem overwhelming, but for students that are creatively inclined, outgoing and eager to explore, this program is the perfect match.

I think it could benefit from more media related trips and guest speakers. A few professionals came to class to talk about their experience reporting and filmmaking, and offered great advice and perspective on what we were trying to do. It would have been great if there were more of those opportunities throughout the semester.
Kathryn

Former CNMJ Student from University of Oregon

My last night in Sevilla I wrote in my journal, “I think I learned how to hold my own and be my own person. I think I am going to return a more confident person who can stand up for her own beliefs and not care as much about what people think because I did make it through this challenging experience. My time abroad has given me the confidence to trust in myself, and for that this experience was beyond worth it.” Maybe that’s why they say you should study abroad or live in another country. It is to gain perspective of yourself and learn how to trust yourself. I won’t lie and say that I didn’t really stumble at some points because I missed home, my own culture and my friends, but as I wrote in an earlier in another journal entry, “If you aren’t uncomfortable at least one time a day, you aren’t growing.” Now putting myself out on a line and possibly embarrassing myself seems so much less intimidating because for the past four months every time I spoke in Spanish there was that possibility. I think it’s good that I don’t take myself so seriously now and am okay with making mistakes and making a fool of myself. I spent a lot of time on my own in Sevilla as well, and so now I feel as though I have learned more how to be alone with my thoughts and do things on my own. I now have a new found confidence in knowing that I went to a foreign country without knowing anyone and still made a community of friends.

I think creating more opportunities for classes with American and native Sevillanos together would be great because when I was in classes with all other Americans it was easy to slip back into English. I didn't feel like I was listening to as much high level Spanish in classes with only other Americans. By integrating the two, I think we could both learn how to better communicate.