CIEE Liberal Arts in Seville, Spain

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Horse carriages outside of the Cathedral
Me and a friend during CIEE weekend trip to Granada
Me and a friend during CIEE weekend trip to Granada
Sunset on the Cathedral
Sunset on the Cathedral

Take your advanced Spanish language skills to the next level while studying across a range of academic areas at CIEE Seville and our partner schools, Universidad de Sevilla and Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO). Study alongside local students across a broad range of disciplines, in Spanish, while immersing yourself in the rich culture of Seville. CIEE Seville is located in the heart of Seville, close to the Royal Alcazar Palace. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

I'm happy to answer! The Spanish Intensive course lasts for two weeks, and is the only course you take for those two weeks. The class is once a day and lasts for 3 hours. During Orientation, you will participate in an oral language test so CIEE can confirm what level of the intensive course they can place you in, so everyone's class time is different. For example, my intensive course was from 6-9...

Yitongyue

Reflection of My First Semester in Seville

Studying in Seville is not my first time living abroad independently. However, it is definitely my first time speaking a language that I am not proficient with and adapting to a culture I have almost zero knowledge with. Ciee equipped me with a two weeks intensive Spanish training session, a four hundred level grammar class, and a variety of courses focusing on the history and society of the Spanish speaking world. I could take small-size panels at the institution itself or join in universities' lectures. The diversity and flexibility of registering for classes allowed me to develop a deeper understanding of Spain as well as charting my credits toward a bachelor degree in International Relations and Spanish.

Most professors at Ciee also teach courses in local universities, therefore they have highly organized teaching structures and years of experiences in their fields. For example, on my class Politics and Society of the Contemporary Arab World, Professor Eduardo del Campo incorporated his stories of being a journalist into his class. He has shared students with exclusive photographs taken by himself as he travelled through the middle east, such as scenes of the neighborhood on the Israel-Palestine border. The pictures and his real-life experiences made his opinions and narratives on the issues of the Arab world more appealing and convincing.

Just like Professor Eduardo del Campo, many Ciee faculties supported students to learn and integrate into the society through different manners which are not limited to a one hour and thirty minutes class. Students were able to register for a language exchange program sponsored by the University of Seville in which they practice speaking Spanish with their Spanish partners who are interested in learning and practicing English. Every week, there was an additional reunion at white bar for all students from the program where students can meet each other and develop their own networks. Since English is not my first language and most Spanish students are looking for a native English speaker to tutor them, I found it difficult to have a Spanish partner who can meet up with me on a regular base.

Instead, I spent more time on attending Ciee sponsored excursions and tours in and out of the city. Within three months, I visited Cadiz, Ronda, Córdoba, Jerez de la Frontera, and Huelva with Ciee. The one-day trip usually has a full agenda which includes studying historical sites, trying local food, visiting galleries, etc. Also, I have developed a genuine friendship with some Ciee students through the process. I met my friends Sam and Tess during the city tour at “Las Setas”, a landmark architecture of Seville. I also spent four out of five excursion trips with Jasmine. I did not dare to hope I would have good friends after I left Mount Holyoke College, but it turned out I could easily meet people who share same interests with me during countless extracurricular events. With the love and support from my friends, living and studying in Seville no longer became difficult and lonely for me.

My studying abroad in Seville will continue in 2020. Next semester, I will change my program from liberal arts to business and society in order to take more economics classes. Additionally, I hope to challenge myself and spend more time talking and networking with locals. Therefore, I will cherish the opportunities that Ciee offer me in interning or volunteering in Seville institutions. On the same time, I will take advantage of my previous experience and stay out of my comfort zone, which means I will spend more time in the language exchange program and become fully confident in speaking Spanish under whatever circumstances.

Seville hides so many historical sites that are not distinctly marked. Research ahead and ask locals when you visited the city. Some streets and windows have years of history and beautiful stories, and they are free to visit.

Make sure you walk randomly and explore restaurants and bars on streets of local neighborhood. Dont have food nearby touristic sites.

If you are a spanish learner, dont be afraid of talking in spanish with locals. They are more than welcomed to listen to you patiently and correct you. Always smile if you dont know what you are talking about.
Abigail

CIEE Sevilla: The Experience of a Lifetime

I have just returned home from studying abroad in Sevilla on CIEE's Liberal Arts program, and I already miss everything about it! I could talk forever about my experience, but here are the highlights:

1. My host family. Of course this all depends on the person, but in my case, CIEE matched me perfectly with what I said was important to me on my housing evaluation. My host family couldn't have been more generous and kind. My host dad liked to cook as a hobby, so every meal I had was both delicious and authentic; plus, my host parents were retired history professors, so they made an effort to give me historical background both on Sevilla and on other countries or cities when I went on trips. Bonus points: they had a dog. Again, obviously everyone would have a different host family, but it seemed like CIEE does a pretty good job of matching students with families that are right for them.

2. The activities and trips sponsored by CIEE! I took two weekend trips with CIEE, one to Granada and one to Málaga with my interest group. Both of these trips were amazing, and Granada ended up being one of my favorite places I visited. CIEE does a good job of combining free time with planned programming, and the planned programming was always fun and informative (for example, in Granada we did a tour of the Alhambra, and if I had gone alone, it would have been very overwhelming and I would have learned a lot less). And when you're given free time, the staff always has recommendations of places to go or things to do. Besides weekend trips, they also offer activities like kayaking on the Guadalquivir river or day trips. If you can, take advantage of these, because it's a great opportunity to do fun stuff in Sevilla and it's included in the program fees.

3. The academics. CIEE offers a wide range of classes, both through CIEE and the Universidad de Sevilla, and I took both. I would definitely say that my CIEE classes were more challenging, informative, and immersive than those I took at the Universidad de Sevilla. Although I learned from all my classes, I felt like the CIEE professors cared much more about the material and in general were more animated/passionate when teaching it.

In general, Sevilla is an INCREDIBLE place to study, and it will always have a place in my heart. And I have to say that CIEE did everything possible to enhance my time in the city and make it the best it could possibly be; I definitely recommend the program!

Leah

Vibrant Life and Culture in Seville, Spain

Having done a different study abroad program in the north of Spain and travelling around a lot of Spain, I can confidently say that Seville is by far my favorite city. It is so colorful and vibrant and the people are all extremely nice. I took classes at both the University of Seville and CIEE and surprisingly, the CIEE courses were actually more rigorous. However, with the exception of the 2 week intensive, none of the classes were as difficult as university classes in the states. I had to switch host families half way through the program and experienced a great amount of support from the staff. Take advantage of the CIEE provided excursions and events because you have already payed for them and it's a great way to learn more about the city and surrounding areas. Travel in Europe is also incredible but I would recommend not travelling every weekend because Seville has a lot to explore too. Definitely stay in town for part of Semana Santa and Feria de Abril- both unforgettable experiences.

Max

The ideal study abroad experience!

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of CIEE's Liberal Arts program in Seville, Spain. I always had my heart set on studying in Spain. My school had partnered with CIEE to offer a program in Seville, but I was a little skeptical at first. I had studied abroad with a third party program before and was not thrilled. I liked what the program had to offer, but I was unsure the academic rigor, home stays, and excursions would meet my expectations. I am glad to say CIEE vastly exceeded my expectations. My homestay was flawless, the excursions were JUST what I was looking for, and my classes forced me to think. In fact, I ended up getting more B's than A's.

I was most impressed with the quality of the staff. I accidentally left my laptop in the Madrid airport on my way to Seville and the CIEE staff was instrumental at helping me getting it back (for free). They were more than exceptional.

Some of the class content and grading policies could be revised, however as a whole they were superb.
Erin

My Month in Seville Spain through CIEE

My experience studying abroad this past summer in Seville, Spain through CIEE was an amazing one. I was nervous to embark on this trip by myself, but knew I wanted an intense Spanish immersion experience in a city with rich history and culture. My four weeks spent with CIEE flew by, and that was thanks to the incredible staff, who were so helpful and accommodating, as well as the rigorous but fun education I received. My housing situation worked out perfectly, and fit the criteria I requested, and I thoroughly enjoyed my teacher and class material. My Spanish improved so much in the month I spent there, and classes were never boring or too overwhelming. The staff at CIEE were available always to answer any questions, and made sure that my experience in Seville was positive and memorable. There are so many things to do and places to see in this gorgeous city, and CIEE made it very accessible for everyone to make the most of their time there. All of the people in my program were awesome, and I made some great friends that I am still in touch with today. Seville holds a very special place in my heart, and CIEE plays a large role in that! I would definitely recommend this program and company to anyone looking for an incredible immersion and/or cultural experience!

Makenna

Best Experience of my Life!

Going abroad with CIEE was absolutely life changing. I loved every second of it and never wanted to return home. The professors were incredible and the staff was wonderful. I never felt unsafe or like I didn't have any support. CIEE was fun, informational, and helped me reach my goals for my study abroad experience both academically and culturally. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in having an amazing experience abroad.

Megan

Best Decision as an Undergrad

I would absolutely recommend this program. Sevilla is the perfect sized city, not too small and not too big. The entire city is full of so much history without the hassle of traffic or crowds. CIEE is also the best program in the city. My fiancee studied abroad in another program in Sevilla and we both agreed that my program was better. CIEE offers so many cultural excursions and tours that help you take the most out of your experience. CIEE places the majority of its students in homestay which is the best way to really immerse yourself in the language.

N/A
Darlina

Even a year in Seville wasn't enough!

I spent a whole academic year in Seville through CIEE's Liberal Arts program and leaving was not easy. Seville is such a prime location to study abroad in if you're looking for language immersion and culture. I really enjoyed the classes I took at the CIEE study center because all of them involved outside of the classroom learning and getting to know the city in different ways. In the cultural history course I took, we would spend the first half of the class in our classroom learning about a topic and then the second half walking around the city seeing what we had learned, for example we were learning about the Roman empire and right around the corner from our study center there were still Roman columns standing. One of my favorite things about Seville was that so much of the Muslim, Jewish, and Catholic structures from the past centuries still remain. You can get lost in the city's narrow streets or climb the Giralda to check out the view or do like the locals do and hang out along the river for hours or go for a beautiful run along Parque Maria Luisa! The Sevillanos are also a big part of what makes Seville so appealing. Their way of living, their passion for their art and dance, and how friendly they are made it easy to always want to be surrounded by them. Overall, every one's experience abroad is unique and it's what you make it but the CIEE Liberal Arts program definitely kept me interested in the courses and I had so much valuable information that even my local friends didn't know about their city! The staff at the study center was also very supportive and made me feel comfortable as well as helped me make local friends! I'd go on a CIEE program again because they really care about the individual student's experience and have so many great excursions and activities available for the students!