IES Abroad Salamanca – Advanced Spanish Immersion

The program allows you to be involed in the academic and social life of the Universidad de Salamanca (USAL), the oldest university in Spain and one of the most prestigious in Europe. Learn alongside your Spanish peers by enrolling at USAL or the Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca (UPSA). Regardless of your major, you may combine your interests in linguistic and cultural proficiency with your academic pursuits.

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

• 9-10 rating 80.65%
  • 7-8 rating 19.35%
Haley

Amazing Study Abroad Experience in Salamanca, Spain

I have been speaking Spanish for a long time and really wanted to take my skills to the next level. Not only did this program help me improve my Spanish abilities by both classes and immersive experiences, but it also provided me and the other students with awesome opportunities every week through pre-planned activities and trips. The academic aspect was challenging, but not too challenging and I still had plenty of time to travel, try new things, and hang out with the several new friends I made. The staff were also super helpful answering any questions any of us had. I loved this program!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
My connecting flight to Portugal was late and I missed my final flight to Madrid, and therefore the IES Abroad bus to Salamanca. Another student and I were running on less than 2 hours of sleep with no cell service when we had to navigate the Madrid airport in order to find where to purchase bus tickets to Salamanca--and then we had to find where the busses would pick us up. When we finally arrived in Salamanca, we had to catch a taxi to finally make it to our homestays. I never imagined I'd be navigating my own way from Madrid to Salamanca, but the fact that I did it (and almost alone) gave me so much confidence in myself and my ability to hold my own in a foreign country. It's not the start to my study abroad experience that I would've wanted, but it made me more confident and ready for whatever lie ahead.
April

The City of Gold

Salamanca, Spain is a town like no other. Known as the City of Gold, it is truly a treasure. The academic opportunities, rich culture, and history are unparalleled. It is the perfect place for anyone hoping to further their Spanish skills, with its endless opportunities for total immersion. The classes are challenging in just the right way, with professors that are there to help you achieve your goals. The town has so much beauty and history to offer, making it a well-rounded educational experience, as well as the perfect place for personal growth.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Despite being sent home early due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I would not change a single thing. I think this is an important question that really speaks to the quality of this program-- no matter how things turned out, I would not trade a single day. Salamanca will forever hold a special place in my heart.
Lucy

Unforgettable Experience

I had a great experience studying abroad with IES. It was amazing to experience a new culture, and I had a great support system while doing it. The IES Salamanca staff is helpful and well-organized, and gave us the chance to go on some cool field trips within Spain, included in the cost of the program. I stayed in the residence hall, where I enjoyed living in a single in close proximity to other students, but I know that those who stayed with host families also had great experiences. Salamanca is walkable, beautiful, and rich with history without being very Americanized like some other cities. For me, it was the perfect city to study abroad in.

The classes in the Psychology in Salamanca program are new, and definitely have room for growth.
m
Heydi

Experience in Salamanca

As a first-generation latina student abroad, it was definitely a new experience in general. Although the ability to interact with people from all over the world and, therefore, learn about not only Spanish culture, but other cultures as well as I went to school and practiced a Spanish that was different to mine was such an awesome experience.

Salamanca is such a relatively small but beautiful town with a lot to offer for abroad students and IES did a pretty good job in terms of support and guidance for my time in Salamanca. More likely, because I was coming from such a big city like Chicago, it definitely felt very different and kind of odd, but now that I'm back I can't stop thinking about how great my experience was. I do not regret choosing such an amazing location to study abroad and I hope to visit Salamanca sometime soon and see my local friends and the beautiful and historical University of Salamanca all over again.

Eric

Fantastic experience!

Thank you for opening my eyes to history. You have taught me that world history is not just a series of important dates, but rather that it can be a key resource to both look into the future and understand more about who we are as people. You challenged my understanding of the world and truly opened my eyes to a series of new worldviews. Thank you for everything over the course of the last month and a half, you all made this experience the best of my life.

Peter

I love Salamanca!

IES Abroad Salamanca runs a good program. All of the staff members know their stuff and will be there to help you with all the practical details of life abroad. At the same time, the staff are personable and put a lot of effort into getting to know you as an individual. I particularly appreciated the efforts of the staff when my computer and wallet got stolen (Salamanca isn’t dangerous, I was just being stupid); due to the timely help I received from the staff at the IES center, I was eventually able to recover all of my lost items. The academic programs provided by IES are fairly easy but generally interesting, but you can also enroll at USAL (the public university) or UPSA (the private university), which is a big plus for those looking for maximal cultural and linguistic immersion. Salamanca is also a great city to study in. The size is perfect, the Castilian Spanish is easily comprehensible, and there is a big student population which keeps things lively. The only downside might be the winter weather, which is quite cold.

The process of course registration is kind of painful. Other than that, the program is pretty flawless.
William

Sueños de Salamanca

Salamanca was a fantastic experience, and I can’t wait to go back and visit again. I am really grateful to the IES program for giving me a strong basis for exploring Spain and Spanish culture. The homestay was one of the best experiences-living with a local family, being immersed in the culture almost 24/7 helped me adjust quickly and start experiencing Spanish culture less as a tourist and more as a temporary resident.
I do have a couple regrets though. In taking classes at the University of Salamanca, I met a lot of Spanish friends, and got to know them and Spanish people my age better, but I wish I had spent more time with them. I think that one of the best ways for me to improve my Spanish is to spend it surrounded by native speakers, and my friends were always enthusiastic to spend time with a foreigner. Of course, I did enjoy my classes at the IES center, but there I wasn’t as immersed in Spanish culture as I wanted-my classmates were fellow Americans, and the classes were presented in an American style. Although we did have Spanish teachers, and the American style was to help us adjust, I would have preferred taking more classes at the Spanish university.

Kelli

Studying in Salamanca

I have absolutely no complaints about this program. The city itself is a truly magical place to be, it's the perfect mix of a college and residential town with stunning architecture. There are tons of places to eat, museums to visit, and seats to people watch. As far as academics I recommend taking classes at the University of Salamanca in addition to IES courses. This is a better way to get a feel for the true Spanish student culture. I lived with a host family and spent a lot of time with them during meals and free time. I still keep in touch with them, as well as foreign friends I have made almost every day!

The only suggestion I have is to extend the Sevilla/ Granada trip.