IES Abroad Madrid Summer

Make this summer an unforgettable one when you study abroad in Madrid. Spend your afternoon studying with top-notch professors at the IES Abroad Center, and your evenings exploring your beautiful host city. When you study abroad, Madrid will quickly become your classroom.

Spend you summer among the throngs of madrilenos flocking to the streets of the city. Sip coffee on terraza, sample traditional tapas (try as many of the city's tapas bars as possible). Take an afternoon and simply stroll along the city’s boulevards, watching a parade of fashionable Spaniards as they pass by. The seat of Spain's government, Madrid is also a cultural center and home to many famous museums for you to visit, including the Prado and the Reina Sofia, where Picasso's Guernica resides.

Have an unforgettable summer in sun-kissed Spain. Apply to study with IES Abroad today.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Shreya

Summer in Madrid!

This past summer, I took part in a 6 week study abroad program in Madrid, Spain. It was an unforgettable summer that I will never be able to stop talking about. To start off, I was so scared to travel alone. Although I have traveled far with my parents, taking on a new country on my own was frightening. IES, however, sent out detailed plans about how to prepare for the trip and what to do when arriving at the Madrid airport. I made my way through the entire departure and arrival with no problem thanks to them. The classes were challenging but manageable but only because I kept up with attendance and homework. My homestay situation was very nice, and I chose to live with a roommate, which made me feel so much more comfortable. I know a few students on my program who stayed in student apartments and loved it! Additionally, Madrid has one of the largest social scenes in the world, and we made sure to dip our toes into that as well! One of my favorite memories was during the celebration of the Madrid soccer team winning the champions league. The streets were packed with locals singing the team songs! During our IES orientation, the staff warned us about areas to avoid so that we would always remain safe. Me and my classmates formed such strong bonds with our teachers, and on the last day, everyone was so sad to leave. But, I've made connections that will stay with me forever, and I am so excited to encourage other students to have the same amazing experiences as I did.

Sharon

6 wonderful weeks in Madrid!

To begin with, IES covers the very basics that you can expect from a good study abroad program: excellent housing options, great classes with wonderful professors, an opportunity to explore your host city/country, good health services (including mental health counselling), etc. Now, beyond that… IES is incredibly fun! I took part in the program in the Summer of 2018, and we would have classes from Mondays to Friday mornings, meaning we had an early start to the weekend. This gave people who wanted to travel outside of Madrid (or even Spain) an opportunity to travel and have enough time to enjoy the places they were visiting. If , however, you are a student like me who is more interested in learning more about the host city, then IES is also great at helping out with that! There were many IES Madrid organised trips to local museums or famous places accompanied by local tour guides, making our trips more than just a matter of sight-seeing, but also culturally enriching activities. The staff were very friendly and always willing to make conversation or give advice whenever we needed it, whether that was regarding where to do the cheapest shopping or which bars to go to for late night tapas! I spent an incredible 6 weeks in Madrid, and if you can do so too, please go for it!

Regina

The Best 6 Weeks of my Life

Studying abroad is always referred to as the greatest experience of one’s life. For me, my six weeks in Madrid were 42 days of cafes, conversations, friends, and discoveries that collectively created the greatest experience of my life. My host family was incredible and exposed me to so many little differences between Spain and the US that I would have never learned. The classes taught me so much because they were taught in a way that was fun and interactive (I highly recommend Madrid the City). In addition, my weekends were filled with trips to London, Tenerife, Morocco, Sevilla, Toledo, and Valencia, and the day trips arranged by IES were so convenient and exposed us to places we would’ve never seen on our own. Overall, the program was so hospitable and always made sure we had everything we needed. I loved my time in Spain and I highly recommend IES Madrid Summer to anyone looking to go to Spain for less than a whole semester and who wants to learn and experience the true language and culture of the city.

The program was very well organized! I just wish I had more information before I got to Madrid, but all of my questions were answered the first day.
Carly

Unforgettable Experience!!

Classes were easy to understand and staff was very accommodating. Madrid is a central hub for transportation, so it is so easy to travel around Europe (and even Africa! I went to Morocco for a weekend). I highly recommend studying through IES, it was amazing to meet students from all over the country and I definitely will not forget the memories I made while abroad. Six weeks is the perfect amount of time, not too long and not too short!

David

An Unforgettable Experience

Studying abroad this past summer in Madrid was one of the best decisions I have made. At first I was hesitant to apply to this program because I had never been out of the country before. But I knew that this was a step that I needed to take, and I am so happy that I made that decision because it was an amazing six weeks. I was able to achieve so many of the study abroad goals that I set for myself before going. I gained greater confidence in my speaking abilities and was able to immerse myself in the culture. I remember leaving for Madrid the first day. I was excited and a little nervous sitting at the airport, and I had no idea what I was about to experience, and didn’t realize how different I would be when I returned just six weeks later.
The IES program requires that you take two classes: a Spanish language class and an area studies course. I chose to take “Madrid the City.” My language class definitely helped me improve my Spanish, and my teacher was great. The “Madrid the City” class taught me all about the history of the city, and we took tours around the city twice a week, which were a great way to explore.
IES offers homestays or apartments to students for housing. I stayed in a homestay. My Spanish improved so much from my homestay, and it was a great experience. I had lunch with my host mom most days, which allowed me to practice speaking in Spanish. I felt very comfortable with my homestay, and my host mom made it feel like a second home. On the last day, she told me if I return to Madrid in the future, I would have a place to stay.
The IES program includes many different activities and trips that allow you to further explore Spain and its culture. I took advantage of all of these activities, including a cooking class, a flamenco dance class and tours of the Palacio Real, the Prado museum, and various other places. In addition, we all went on a three-day trip to Valencia and a day trip to Segovia. Both trips were amazing.
I definitely recommend this program to other students. It is a great way to learn a new language and experience a new culture. I was nervous at first and almost didn’t do this program. So my advice is for any student unsure about studying abroad with IES Madrid to definitely just go because it will be an unforgettable six weeks.

Ashley

A Life-Changing Summer

Before I boarded the plane for my flight to Madrid, I really had no idea what to expect. I had multiple conversations with close friends and my parents leading up to my departure, all who told me to go into the experience with an open mind. Open mind? Sure, I could do that. The plane landed in Madrid, and from that point on, my time in Madrid had begun.

… And how wonderful that time was! I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. I lived in a warm and welcoming homestay, enrolled in two classes that were taught by great professors, and got to truly experience Spanish culture. Over the course of the program, I noticed in awe how my Spanish speaking and comprehension skills were improving week by week. On a few of the weekends, I was able to travel to various areas of Spain with friends I had made on the program. We attended a Real Madrid game, saw a bullfight, went on a winery tour, got to explore new cities and see incredible landmarks, among many other things. I also learned how to cook Spanish food and dance flamenco, thanks to classes set up by IES staff. All of my classes, extracurricular activities, and travel excursions made my trip truly meaningful, well-rounded, and rewarding. That is why studying abroad is such an enriching learning experience, because not only are you learning so many new things in the classes you attend, but you also are continually learning by exploring, traveling, and appreciating the aspects of your host country.

At the end of those six weeks, when I left to go back home to the States, I was no longer just leaving Madrid; I was leaving a city that had become my city and had become my home. I look back on those six weeks with such happiness and nostalgia; I made new friendships, saw new places, and made new memories that I will cherish for a long time to come. It truly was the best summer of my life!

I wish it were a little bit longer of a program.
Megan

IES Madrid

People will tell you that when you go abroad something changes in you. I never really felt this until I went on to Spain. Coming from a small southern town to a bustling city environment was a huge change for me. Especially when my host mother spoke not one word of English. To be honest, the first night I was not so sure that I would do well. But as the days passed, I soon met new people through my program, started to learn more spanish, and began seeing this big city as my second home. It was a big change from the southern hospitality I was used to but I also discovered that most people in Madrid are just as friendly as my neighbors at home. This study abroad experience pushed me academically, as I learned more Spanish in one summer than in the 19 years prior. I made friends I will not forgot. But most importantly, I learned more in one summer about growing up than I have in my whole life. I would highly recommend IES because the staff was excellent, my host mom was so sweet, and the people that were accepted in this program were awesome. IES did an amazing job of helping us get our bearings and giving us opportunities to go on trips and see Spain, but also the freedom to ultimately decide what we wanted to do. I hope that you will find your other home in Spain like I did!

I would have our Spanish classes integrated with the native Spanish speakers.
Sophie

Immersive Summer in Madrid, Spain with IES Abroad

When I landed in Madrid's International Airport in the Summer of 2011 for a three-month study abroad program in Spain's capital, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was nervous, jet lagged, and literally and figuratively shaking in my breeches. All of that fear and anticipatory anxiety washed away when I made it to the arrivals gate and was greeted by 3 smiling faces, directors of my program all waiting to wish us a happy "bienvenidos." I was lucky enough to be placed in an apartment near the university with a native 24-year old and a fellow American student. We were within walking distance of our daily classes at the beautiful Universidad, the metro line, and a handful of markets and shopping centers.

The professors were all kind, supportive and enthusiastic and the course load was more than manageable. The program directors were always available for questions and assistance and accompanied us on a few wonderful weekend excursions to cities around Madrid.

The program was structured such that we had classes 4 days a week until the early afternoon and were free to explore the city and surrounding countryside on the weekends.

My fellow students and I attended various elective classes such as dance and cooking. And set up our own weekend excursions to wonderful cities like Granada.

The program allowed me to experience the culture of Spain in an authentic study setting, enhance my language skills, and meet people from all over the world.

I would require a one-on-one language exchange session with a native Spaniard and an IES student. That way students would get more language practice, even while traveling in a group that is mostly American.
Read my full story