CISabroad - Summer in Barcelona - Barcelona School for International Studies

You’ll have a lot to write home about during your summer in Barcelona. This postcard-perfect city is a magnet for students who want to live in a thrilling, whimsical city near some of the most splendid beaches in Europe. On Summer in Barcelona – Barcelona School for International Studies, you can opt for one or two months at the Barcelona School for International Studies, where you’ll learn from some of the best faculty in Barcelona. Dive into coursework, practice your Spanish, eat delicious tapas, meander down the famous, tree-lined La Rambla, and gape at the outstanding Gaudi architecture. Barcelona will be the summer of your life!

• Many opportunities for cultural exploration and hands-on activities
  • Spanish classes tailored to your proficiency, whether beginner or advanced
  • Classes taught in both English and Spanish
  • Homestay option with a local family
  • Intensive courses to gain six credits in one session

Park Guell
Jamie

Barcelona Semester!

The School for International Studies through CIS abroad was the most perfect program for me. The program is three months long which is a little shorter than most programs however it is great for someone who is on trimesters, is nervous about getting homesick, or like myself- wants to travel for a while before their summer job starts.
The academic coursework was challenging in a way that was incredibly rewarding. The professors don't give you hours of studying and homework to do because they understand that you are there to travel just as much as you are to take classes. I took several classes on the history of Spain and Barcelona and I learned more than I have from any professor or school because after learning about things like Gaudi's style of architecture we went out into the city and got a first hand experience by seeing things like casa batllo. My professors were so engaging, entertaining, and helpful, I still keep in contact with many of them today. They helped me to learn the rich and diverse history and context of the city I was living in.
The CIS staff on sight at SIS was incredibly helpful in getting students involved in the Catalan culture and making us feel comfortable. It can be frustrating trying to get a hold of them before you go abroad for questions but as soon as you step foot in Barcelona the staff is ready to help out any time of the day. Whether it is a safety concern, you are sick and don't know where to go, or you are struggling in your classes the staff at CIS can help put you on the right track.
The trips and activities (which are included in the cost of your tuition) are absolutely amazing and everything is paid for. My semester we went on two overnight trips, Sevilla and Zaragoza, where the food, accommodations, and planned activities were all paid for. We also went to the Dali museum, took a cooking class, and went out to dinner with our CIS mentor- all completely paid for by the initial cost of your program. This was absolutely amazing, especially for someone who wanted to experience Spain on a tight budget.
As far as housing, I stayed in a shared room/ shared apartment with American students from other programs. This gave me the opportunity to get to know people outside of just the school I was studying at. The apartment I stayed in was in an amazing location and we had everything we needed (washing machine, dishes, bedding, towels). Our apartment was very close to a metro stop however most days I walked about 15 minutes to class to get to know my way around the city better.
The CIS on site coordinators were available 24/7 through a cell phone in case of any emergency. I never felt unsafe in my apartment or walking around the city. I also purchased the international health insurance both through my home university and through CIS. I never thought I would need it but when I got sick while traveling outside of Spain, I was happy that I had insurance. The appointments, tests, and medication I received were completely free of charge and I visited a private travelers clinic where they spoke english and I had absolutely no wait time.
Overall I think the CIS School for International Studies program in Barcelona is amazing for anyone who wants to travel a ton and get the most out of what you pay for.

The only suggestion I would make is that about 2-3 times throughout the semester we had class on Friday. I had wished that our overnight trips were on the weeks where we had class on Friday because it was kind of difficult to travel out of the country on those weekends with Friday class. I ended up staying in Barcelona those weekends though which was a great decision so that I could take some time to get to know the city I was staying in and experience the weekend night life in Barna.
Xavier

The Student Who Wasn't Ready But LOVED Every Moment.

Reasons why I loved my experience with CISabroad:
1) The staff was really personal and kind.
-My advisor was Jackie Langdon and she made sure everything was great before arriving and personally introduced herself in person.
-All of the Onsite Staff made sure all of the students were safe, and mentally well. You can stop to talk with them at any time & If you want to get lunch together or need suggestions.
-Each student is also given a mentor.
2) A plethora of EVENTS INCLUDED!
I attended:
-Hikes
-Guided tours-Muesuems & Towns
-1-2 Catalan-Style Lunch/Dinners together
-Cooking Class
-Trips to Montserrat, Costa Brava, and Girona
3) ALWAYS Something to Do FOR FREE
-I was nervous because I didn't come with much money but CISabroad sent cultural activities for each week and many happened to be free.
-CISabroad helps you live like a local and that's something that you will always remember.

I will truly miss attending Barcelona SIS with CISabroad. Prior to this trip, I had never been out of United States, on a plane, or far from family and friends. I was nervous and excited because everything would be new territory, the staff ensured I would have an amazing time and answered any and all questions I had before arriving in Barcelona. The CISabroad staff made it very easy for me to be prepared and gave ample information and cultural sessions. Upon arriving in Barcelona the staff welcomed me and other students at the airport and instantly I felt like I belonged. The first week I became homesick but the staff, interns, and people in my program quickly made me aware of such an amazing experience I can have in a new place. I hope this helps someone!

I enjoyed every experience and really enjoyed the mentor implementation.
I would've liked the opportunity to know a few of the interns better.
For the academic program and cultural events, everything was well organized and responsive.
Lucas

A Month Too Short In Barcelona

Where to begin? My summer 2017 most memorable moments came from when I studied abroad in Barcelona, the most beautiful and cultural place I have ever been. When I arrived in Spain, I was a little nervous, but mostly thrilled because it was my first time leaving the United States and I was so eager to learn about what the city of Barcelona had to offer. Located in Navas on Avinguda Meridiana, I was in such an eye-opening area. My first day I spent the majority of my time walking around my apartment and getting a good understanding of my surroundings. Soon to find out I was only a twenty minute walk from the famous Sagrada Familia, I knew where I was heading next. Luckily I had a peer from colllege also in Barcelona at the time and we did a lot of traveling together, whether it was visiting Camp Nou or riding the Metro to different cultural spots of the city, we made countless memories. Through CIS, I still have a few friends I made and we catch up til this day which makes me so grateful for this experience. One amazing thing I took from this abroad trip was my professor, Mrs. Eulalia ( I hope I got the spelling right!) She taught me so much in my short time in Barcelona and really opened my eyes to a lot of things about life. Without her, this trip would have been completely different. She taught me so much about the differences between spanish of Latin America and spanish of Spain and also a ton about Barcelona’s unique and ancient history. When I make it back to Spain, which I am 100% certain I will, I am sure I will find my old professor and catch up with un cafe de yelo, my favorite! Barcelona was nothing less than a thrilling and learning experience and I surely made my impact while I was there. If there is anything I can pass along to future participants, it is to not miss this opportunity and travel abroad! The world awaits and will teach you so much about yourself that you never knew was even possible. See you soon Barca!

More time interacting with Professors and Counselors!! More insight!!
Sabrina

Recommendations

I have never been to Spain before and studying abroad there changed my life! I now recommend Barcelona for studies, to all of my friends! I also have met friends there who i am now connected with forever all over the world! I was super excited to see all that was offered in the program. My favorite memory would have to be the Beaches & clubs. The barcelona night life is what i lived for! It was always a fun time, and great experience. I would like to talk a bit about the class i took. I loved it and learned so much, and i loved my professor even more! The program really provides great professors as well as adequate schooling.

Marisa

Summer in Barcelona

Choosing CIS Abroad overall, was a great decision. I was able to learn about the culture especially with the home stay option. The program hosted activities for us to participate in. If I were to change anything, it would be to hold more culture based activities especially for the price one pays for the program. Besides that, the academic scene was nice and I was able to learn both in the classroom and outside the classroom. Overall, I enjoyed the program and would be honored to go back and do it all again. I met many people in this journey that I hope to keep around for a long time and cherish the memories that were made with others met on the program. If I were to give advice to future participants it would be to go with an open mind and to learn and explore new things and new ways of doing. It is very crazy/amazing how studying abroad can open your eyes to all the amazing things this world has to offer.

Best,
Marisa

More culture based activities

About CISabroad

CISabroad is committed to providing the best overall value in study and internship abroad opportunities. CISabroad programs are affordable and specialize in providing quality education and support throughout your study or internship abroad experience...