CIEE Summer Language + Culture in Barcelona, Spain

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, CIEE has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

group on top of hill
group on top of hill

Barcelona offers endless opportunities to improve your Spanish language skills and learn about Spain’s art, history, and politics. Beyond the classroom, get to know the city with guided tours to storied museums and cathedrals, day trips to other towns, and insight from Spanish peers and homestays. Courses are taught at CIEE Barcelona, in English and Spanish, and complemented with immersive co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.

• LIVE WITH A HOST FAMILY at their Barcelona home and upgrade your Spanish language skills as you learn about local customs.
  • FAST-FORWARD YOUR LANGUAGE SKILLS or explore Spanish art, history, politics, or urban culture with classes taught in English and Spanish.
  • EXPERIENCE LIFE in a cosmopolitan university city rooted in ancient tradition and reaching toward the future.

Updated refund & cancellation policy for flexible, secure booking due to COVID-19

In the unusual event CIEE has to cancel your summer ’20, fall '20, January '21, or spring '21 study abroad or internship program due to a health, safety, or security concern, you’re covered with Program Assurance Advantage.

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Elisia

A Worthy Experience

If I had to change anything about this experience, it would be to make it six weeks long instead of four. The beginning process was a bit confusing, but once I was able to personally connect with someone to guide me through it, everything went smoothly. Once we got to Barcelona every hurdle faced to get there was quickly forgotten. The city, the culture, the CIEE staff and of course my host family were all absolutely delightful. The class was very well structured and organized for maximum learning and retention. I thoroughly enjoyed the on site learning. They allowed me to retain the information needed to fully meet the objectives of the class. Nando, was an exceptional professor. he is very engaging, knowledgeable and passionate about this class and I believe it was easily transferred to the class.
My host family was the best! she went over and beyond the call of duty to be very supportive of me and my studies. I am certainly going to miss her cooking and my study trays when i needed them the most with cafe con leche y pastelles and a fruit or chocolate to keep me going. She reminded me every morning that i was the best student in the class. With that kind of support, how could you not succeed. i highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to study abroad, but cannot commit to an entire semester.
This experience allowed me to emerge in the Spanish culture, to give me a better understanding of Spanish and a lot more confidence in speaking the language to native speakers, This will be useful to me as a nurse in Washington DC once I complete Nursing School.

I personally liked the whole program. I had the most difficulty with the application process, but once I got connected with program coordinators, everything went smoothly.
Victoria

¡Vida en España!

My trip to Spain was absolutely unforgettable. I stayed in a residencia in Barcelona which was reasonably comfortable and had a beautiful view! During this month long trip, I was able to get out of my comfort zone, travel, meet new people and become familiar with other languages and cultures. I plan to be an immigration lawyer and believe what I have learned and witnessed will benefit me in the future. Everyone I came in contact with in the program were extremely welcoming and friendly. It was admirable to me that all of the staff seemed to be excited and passionate about their jobs. Overall, I loved everything about my experience. The excursions were my favorite. I absolutely adored the sights! This experience was totally worth it!

I think having the orientation on the same day of arrival was a bit tiring. It would be best to have it the next day so that the students can rest off the jet lag.