CIEE Engineering + Society in Madrid, Spain

Whether your interest is in aerospace, or biomedical engineering, mechanical or audiovisual systems engineering, study abroad in Spain affords you the opportunity to experience one of the most vibrant cities in Europe, while continuing to pursue your degree.

CIEE study abroad in Spain offers highly motivated students the opportunity to develop their Spanish language skills while pursuing a co-curricular program focused on their field of expertise. This is achieved through a Spanish language course, an elective with a Spanish or European focus, an optional internship, and a series of direct enrollment elective courses at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M).

Study abroad in Madrid and you will:

- Study at the Universidad Carlos III, one of Spain’s top-ranking schools for telematics engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, telecommunications technologies engineering, and telecommunication systems engineering

Julia

Experience of a Lifetime!

My time in Madrid with CIEE was absolutely incredible! I had a full immersion experience, taking classes at the local university (UC3M Getafe) and living with a great host family. CIEE offers many options in terms of studies, housing accommodations, and activities. They also held weekly events to visit new spots in Madrid. Some of my favorite include a cooking class, a trip to an art and history exhibit at Circulo de Bellas Artes, watching the sunset at Templo de Debod, and a Flamenco class. They really touch on every "Madrilena" experience I wanted to get. I truly believe CIEE allowed me to have the freedom I needed to grow independently as well as the support I needed to feel safe while miles away from home. I could not recommend CIEE enough and would love to answer any specific questions anyone has before choosing a program.

Although I enjoyed UC3M Getafe, a couple of the classes I took were poorly taught. I would have liked to get credit for my Spanish minor as well.
Katherine

Madrid and the CIEE staff are wonderful!

CIEE's Engineering and Society program in Madrid was amazing! The staff is very friendly and helpful--I felt very comfortable talking to them right off the bat and they always suggested cool places to check out in Madrid.

All of my classes (apart from the three week intensive language course) were direct-enroll, so I was in class with local Spanish students--though my classes were in English. This was a good way to get to know local students as well as gain an understanding about their perspective on academics and education, which was different from what I am used to in the US. In doing this I also met a lot of other American students that were not in CIEE..

The staff organized a lot of social and cultural events (like Flamenco lessons, bike tours, socials with local students, and cooking classes to name a few) which were very fun and a good way to make friends with other people in the program (as well as non-engineering-CIEE students). My favorite things they organized were our weekend excursions. My semester we went to Bilbao and then on the way back we went wine tasting in La Rioja. We also took the high speed train to Sevilla, which was another great city. It was really fun to have these excursions organized by the staff because it enabled us to explore different areas of Spain with some direction (they covered hotels and most meals and tours) while giving us enough free time to bond with other students and explore on our own.

Madrid is my absolute favorite city after living there for a semester (and I live in NYC!). The people are nice and the Spanish culture and night life is so fun to explore! I stayed in a homestay which I really enjoyed (as it was where I developed most of my language skills), but I also know people who enjoyed living in an apartment with other students.

All in all I recommend this program!

Maybe they could encourage/offer ways to get involved with extracurriculars like volunteer opportunities. I know that is generally done through the host university, but I think if CIEE offered a direct path to joining these, it would be helpful.

About CIEE

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and...