IES Abroad Barcelona Summer – Language & Area Studies

Barcelona streets at sunset
Barcelona streets at sunset
A student looking at a cathedral
A student looking at a cathedral

Picture yourself spending six weeks of your summer focused on speaking Spanish while living and learning in Barcelona, a city that is distinctly different than any other city in Spain. Think of all the wonderful architecture you’ll see, history you’ll learn, local residents you’ll meet, and all of the tapas you’ll eat!

Open to all language levels, this program provides you with the equivalent of more than an entire semester of Spanish language study. English-taught area studies classes also are available.

You will enroll in a 4-credit Spanish language course and a 3-credit area studies course taught in English or Spanish (depending on your language level). Language courses develop your written and oral proficiency in Spanish and area studies courses provide an excellent opportunity to learn about modern Spain in the larger context of the European Union.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Matt

IES Abroad Barcelona Review

Studying abroad is undoubtedly one of the best experiences I have had while in college. From the beginning, it was important to me that I find a program that would provide a solid academic foundation, while enabling me to immerse myself in the culture of my host country. IES exceeded these expectations. My classes were rigorous, yet not overbearing. My professors were intelligent but helpful, and the administration constantly had the best interests of the students at heart. The living amenities provided were of good quality, and made adjusting to being in a foreign country very easy. I immediately felt at home in my apartment provided by IES.
Being in a city like Barcelona, where so many cultural activities and events are occurring, I really tried to explore and do things that I would not have the opportunity to do in the United States. Through course excursions, as well as program trips (such as the one to Tarragona), I was able to immerse myself in Spanish culture and make memories that will last a lifetime. I highly recommend IES to students that wish to study abroad in the future.

The improvements I suggest are more help in finding students phones while abroad. Though I was able to accomplish this pretty easily myself, I know that some of my classmates struggled initially in finding a working cell phone while in Spain.