Enjoy churros and hot chocolate – a favorite snack in Valladolid – as you meet with your language exchange group which includes study abroad students and local English-language learners of all ages. You’ll quickly share your country’s customs, traditions, slang words and sense of humor with each other. Spend time with your host family sharing meals, learning about their traditions and experiencing some of Valladolid’s celebrations such as La Feria, a fall celebration dedicated to the patron saint of Valladolid, or the spring celebration of Semana Santa, one of the largest holy week celebrations in the world.
As an educational center focused entirely on Spanish language and culture, Universitas Castellae offers individualized attention to its students. The school hosts a small number of U.S. and other international students each semester. Universitas is in the heart of Valladolid with classrooms in the historic and culturally significant Plaza del Viejo – the city’s first bullring.
- Focus on your Spanish-language development by studying in a city with few U.S. students or English-language speakers.
- Pursue volunteer or internship opportunities to learn more about and support organizations doing important work in the city. Your resident director can help to connect you to organizations dedicated to education, immigration services and other services.
- Enroll in the course Human Rights in Global Spain to explore the concepts of culture, human rights and social justice in a multi-regional, globalized Spain.
- Strengthen your résumé by adding a business or education internship to your time in Valladolid!
- Venture outside of Valladolid with your RD as a guide. Excursions vary each semester but in the past have included Segovia, known for its iconic ancient Roman aqueduct; and Salamanca, home to one of the most beautiful plazas mayores in Spain.