CET Taiwan

Roommates
Roommates
Excursion to Jioufen
Excursion to Jioufen

Get the best of both worlds: intensive language and an internship. Not only do you get the renowned Chinese language training at ICLP in Taipei—a long-time institution for Chinese language studies—but you also build your résumé and use your language skills in the Taiwanese workplace while you're at it. With an ever-growing network of placements, you can intern in the private, civil, or government sectors at sites like Fulbright Taiwan, Geber Consulting, and the Democratic Progressive Party. And to round out your experience, you uphold a language pledge, share an apartment with other international and Taiwanese roommates, and accomplish more in a semester or summer than most students do in their entire college career.

• Intensive language + internship
  • International and Taiwanese roommates
  • Access to ICLP classes
  • Conveniently located apartment in Taipei

Emily

Highly recommended

I had a great experience with CET Taiwan! Academics (through the International Chinese Language Program) were rigorous -- expect to work hard, be engaged in classes, and see your Chinese improve significantly over the course of the semester. I also spent 10 to 12 hours per week at an internship placement that matched my interests. Although this made time management more challenging, I found the internship to be a rewarding part of my semester abroad.

Accommodations were comfortable and well-located; we shared student apartments with local roommates, who were super friendly and helped us navigate life in Taipei. Overall, Taiwan is a fantastic place to study Chinese. It also offers convenient public transportation, delicious street food, and plenty of things to do on weekends, whatever you're interested in. Just be prepared to be busy! If you're self-motivated and adventurous, this is the program for you.

Vladimir

My experience in Taiwan

This semester in Taiwan was filled with good memories and fun. CET did a good job of finding housing with Taiwanese roommates. They also did a good job of helping people explore more of Taiwan before class actually starts and you're busy, and trust me, you WILL be busy. Overall it was an unforgettable experience. I had an especially good time having a the group this semester. I believe they made it a better experience better yet. Having roommates everything 10x better. The teachers at the host University are also great, they made it easy to learn.

Be prepared to work (in a good way). This program will force you to improve your Chinese no matter what the level.
Amelia

Summer in Taiwan

I had an amazing summer in Taiwan. I appreciate that the academics was challenging and I could definitely see improvement in my Chinese listening and speaking. I had the best resident directors and things all went smoothly. They provided us a trip to Hualien, which was one of the best experiences I had in Taiwan. In addition to housing, tuition, books, and transportation all calculated into one sum, I also had an internship at The China Post. The internship aspect challenged me in some ways, but also became a memorable part of the program. Taiwan is also a very safe country and transportation is very easy to navigate. Housing was super nice. My roommates and Taiwanese roommates were easy to get along with and like family. Food is good and cheap. Especially BOBA!

William

Great Experience in Taiwan

I loved my study abroad with CET. First, CET did an amazing job organizing enriching activities for all the students to do. We got to do a broad range of things, from hiking Taroko Gorge to going to a traditional Chinese opera. But my favorite thing was definitely traveling to the Mazu Festival in central Tawian, which is put on every year for one of Taiwan's many deities, Mazu. Andrew and Chunling did all the organizing, and the trips were all included in the program fee. Additionally, I liked my classes at ICLP, especially the 1-on-1 class that met for an hour every day. If there were a few things I could change, they would probably be my internship experience and adding a language pledge, but both of these were more applicable to me because my Chinese was at a slightly higher level than most.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Easily the monkey that ran across my trail while I was hiking in one of the national parks. Or maybe dogs in full outfits. Or people dancing in fireworks during the Mazu festival. Hard to say.
My

An unforgettable and worthwhile study abroad experience in Taiwan

When I was searching for a program to study Chinese, these were the features about CET Taiwan that grabbed my interest: language classes with ICLP, an internship within my areas of interests, and housing with Taiwanese students.

CET partners with ICLP, which is one of the world's premier Chinese language centers located at National Taiwan University. The classes focus intensively on speaking and listening. Normal ICLP students would have four classes, but CET students only have three because of the internship. Don't think the classes are easier because CET students have one less. The workload/preparation is as intense; it may be more challenging because CET students also have their internships. One class is one-on-one; you can ask for help on anything during the 1-1 class. The other two classes have up to four students so there are more opportunities to practice speaking and listening. The students are expected to practice and prepare for the next lesson the night before, and during class time, the teachers will ask questions regarding the lessons. While Traditional Chinese is the preferred writing/reading method, ICLP classes still offer materials in Simplified Chinese; students who know either form will be a great fit in the program.

CET Taiwan internship is tailored to the students' interests. t Since I liked science and medicine, our lovely internship director Chunling connected me with a research internship at Taipei Veterans General Hospital; I had classmates who worked for NGOs, cloud-service company, patient-law firms - just to list a few. The internship is a great way to experience the feeling of working in Taiwan and meeting new people.

Balancing school and internship while finding time to enjoy Taiwan was challenging, but I had the unwavering support from the dynamic duo Andrew and Chunling. This is NOT an exaggeration when I say they are fantastic people. They were more like friends, and students could come and talk to them about anything. They were very understanding and showed unwavering support for us. Every week, they would bring snacks for everyone to share, and a different student would bring fruits every Friday. In addition, we had "Lunch Box Tuesday" where all the CET Taiwan students would come and have lunch with Andrew and Chunling; we would discuss our internships and classes. Doing so strengthened the supportive environment.

As for housing, during my summer semester, we had two apartments - one in the SongShan district and the other in the GongGuan district. In each apartment, there was at least one Taiwanese student and other American students. It was very nice of Andrew and Chunling to find these apartments because I did not want to go through the hassles of finding my own living place. Before CET Taiwan had consolidated living spaces, students from earlier semesters had to find their own apartments; some were close to ICLP while others lived far away and had to ride the MRT for a long time to get to school (e.g. 1-hr). Furthermore, living together was a great way to make new friends.

Overall, the program exceeded my expectations. Taiwan is culturally and historically rich with beautiful sceneries. I was sad that the program had to come to an end; I wished the summer program could have been a week or two longer. While the program is expensive, the friends that I have made and the memories that I have created were worth it.

My best advice to future travelers on this program is to seize the day. Yes, classes will become challenging, but don't miss the opportunity to explore and see what Taiwan has to offer. Go visit Shifen on the weekend and release a sky lantern or feed your foodie's heart with food from the night markets - the experience is what you make out of it.
Victoria

CET Taiwan

CET Taiwan is a great program to go abroad with. The intensive Chinese classes allowed my Chinese to improve a lot, and the internship component of the program allowed me to improve professional skills and put into use what I had just learned in the classroom. My favorite aspect of this program was that not only was I able to strengthen my language skills, but I also was able to gain real-world experience and apply everything I learned in the classroom to my internship.

Additionally, CET Taiwan staff were very friendly and supportive; they were always just one message away if any of us had a question. I was also very impressed by the housing offered through the program, as it was very clean and there was plenty of space.

Overall I would definitely recommend this program to other students wanting to study abroad in Taiwan.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
While in Taiwan, one of my favorite activities was visiting various temples across the country. The architecture of them was beautiful, and it was very insightful to observe attendees worship.
Nikole

The best program for first-time travelers

CET Taiwan was my very first experience traveling abroad. I've never really been away from home for an extended period of time; even at university, I visit home quite often, and my summer work also allows me to work at home. But for the duration of my time in the CET Taiwan program, I never had even one homesick day. Actually, for me, the saddest thing about this program is that it ended and that I had to go home.

I would recommend this program to the following...

...students who have never traveled abroad or to Asia. Taiwan is a friendly and beautiful city. If you think Taiwan's too "westernized", you need to do some self introspection regarding why you think that (hint: you have some existing prejudices that should be addressed with lots of research). Taiwan is a beautiful island with a diverse history. The city you live in--Taipei--is large, eventful, and incredibly convenient with regards to shopping and transportation. The metro system is clean and punctual. The convenience stores are always stocked with cheap food, snacks, and daily necessities. A good restaurant is always within walking distance of a short ride on the metro or the bus. No matter how late it is, you can walk home in the streets without any fear. It is the best city for any first time traveler simply based on its convenience and safety.

Not only this, but our resident and internship directors were the most amazing and receptive people to ever oversee our program. Anytime we had an issue, they were always there to help us resolve it. They also organize amazing extracurricular activities and trips! The two of them really made our program worth every minute.

...students who are double majoring in Chinese and something else. CET Taiwan has a mandatory internship component. The internship component allowed me to keep up with my Computer Science major (I worked as a junior Rails developer for a marketing company), so when I returned to my home university, I wasn't any step behind my CS peers as far as coding experience was concerned. I not only improved my Chinese, but my coding abilities just as well. However, because CET Taiwan is a new program, some internship opportunities are hit or miss; some, like mine, were a wonderful addition to my Chinese learning, but I had some classmates who didn't have the same experience. If you have a second major or a strong extracurricular interest and express this clearly to the internship director, then you may improve your chances of landing an incredible internship.

...students who want to improve their Chinese as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. Students in CET Taiwan are enrolled in the ICLP at National Taiwan University. This translates to the first (and the best) International Chinese Language Program at the top university in Taiwan. ICLP was the first of its kind before any program in the mainland, and every teacher at ICLP is incredibly esteemed, usually having taught at top Chinese language programs in America. Class sizes are between one to four (five is usually considered too much), so individual attention is a given. There are many students at ICLP and many courses, ranging from introductory to intermediate and high-level culture (contemporary Taiwanese culture and society, studying radio plays, newspaper reading, ancient Chinese fables, short stories). There are one-on-one classes as well, where you spend a whole hour every single day with just yourself and your teacher! The classes are rigorous and have a strong emphasis on speaking over writing. Leaving CET Taiwan, your Chinese abilities will definitely be much stronger than when you came in.

It goes without saying, however, that CET Taiwan is incredibly rigorous! You take three hours of courses that may begin at around 8 AM and end at 12 with a break somewhere in between, then attend your internship, and then have to do a large amount of homework and preparation when you get home. Excelling in this program is definitely all about time management!

I had a lot of difficulty with becoming accustomed to the extracurricular internship course that was a mandatory component of the program. For one, it was taught in English! I wish that some of the material we covered could have been covered in Chinese. I think that even if it meant that some of the topics we covered would have to be simplified in order to get all students to be able to participate, being able to speak more Chinese would have made the course more enjoyable. Instead of doing mostly English readings on culture, having an English-language discussion, and then turning in English-language written work, if all of this were in Chinese, it would be a much stronger program.
Victoria

Taiwan is a great country to learn Chinese

All in all, I enjoyed my time in Taiwan. The CET staff on the ground, Andrew and Chunling were extremely welcoming and took care of all their students' needs by providing snacks throughout the week and opening up their office for students to come in and chat.

The price is indeed steep and could have been lower if CET didn't provide for cultural immersion experiences, an opening and closing banquet, and a trip to Hualien. In the end, it is a cost for the small perks that we received.

As for the education, CET partners with ICLP-- one of the world's premier Chinese language learning institutions. Normal ICLP students take 4 hours of class but because of the nature of CET's program, CET students take 3 hours of intensive class. One is one-on-one and the other two are small classroom sized (up to 4 students). The classes are flipped-style, meaning that students must prepare their lessons before class and then during class, they are expected to recite them and use the grammar structures that they just learned to converse with their classmates and teachers.

Even though, the program takes place in Taiwan. You are by no means forced to learn traditional Chinese-- ICLP still offers its courses in simplified. But you might absorb some traditional because of the environment.

This added on top of an internship as well as an internship course (which was a bit unnecessary in my opinion) caused me to be overwhelmed at times, especially in the beginning but I gradually caught onto the rhythm of things and learned to manage my time. Let alone making friends with other Taiwanese locales, I did not have the time or energy to make friends with ICLP students. I mainly hung out with my Borderless housemates, who were welcoming and friendly. My experience with Borderless seemed like an exception--as some students were placed very far from NTU or their internships and did not talk with their roommates. Next semester, I believe housing will be different.

CET Taiwan is, however, a one-of-a-kind experience. You won't have a similar opportunity to hold an internship in Taiwan while learning Chinese at the same time.

That said, Taiwan is a beautiful country! Go visit!