GEI Vietnam | Business Consulting Project in Ho Chi Minh City

Today’s global economy requires leaders who are prepared for every challenge in the international business environment. Global experience enables business students to enhance their career prospects, gain cross-cultural intelligence, obtain first-hand market knowledge, and broaden their networks.

This program consists of a 3-week Consulting Abroad Project. Such CAPs are transformational applied learning experiences that enable students to gain firsthand knowledge in building sustainable businesses, and to become agile and creative business leaders. The unique challenges and opportunities found in emerging markets demand new understandings and approaches that challenge students to think innovative and act collaboratively. Working in small multi-cultural teams, they are connected to local entrepreneurs or civil society leaders in order to help create solutions for a specific business problem.

Program dates (2018): July 29-Aug 18 and Aug 19-Sep 8

• Gain hands-on global consulting experience and enhance your career prospects.
  • Engage with a Vietnamese company and provide technical assistance for a concrete management or business problem.
  • Work in a small multicultural team and gain invaluable intercultural competence relevant to your field of study.
  • Explore the progress and challenges towards development of one of Asia’s leading success stories – Vietnam.
  • Broaden your personal and professional network, and build lasting international friendships.

Huy

Study abroad, explore, discover and learn

In early 2018, I luckily took part in a Consulting Abroad Program, organized by GEI. It was such an incredible and amazing experience for me.

During the program, participants were given real challenges faced by a Vietnamese company in the technology field. Even though it turned out to be very complex in comparison with student abilities, we tried our best to brainstorm and find where the inner problem lies. Because of the difficulty, we were pushed to learn as much as we can. We were fuelled with informative and interactive series of lectures that were very helpful to our proposed project. For example, we had a session on Big Data and its impact in the Vietnamese digital sphere. This gave us the opportunity to better understand and visualize business opportunities for our tech-company.

Besides this technical knowledge, the program gave me a precious chance to build relationships with cool friends and enhance my soft skills. With honesty, openness and respect, we quickly got to know each other and grow friendship. Every day we worked closely in teams, constantly researching, discussing and trying our utmost to come up with feasible solutions for the company. Each member was a critical thinker so I had to persuade them, sell my ideas and also listen to others’ opinion. I was really impressed by the way my international friends respond to (cultural) differences with respect and simplicity.

I know that communicating effectively in a multicultural environment is a key to success for global future leaders. With this in mind, I always tried to keep my mind open so that I could discover new insights and perspectives. As a result, I could feel that my mindset and communication skills were gradually progressing.

Furthermore, we had many fun activities to relax, get to know each other and share valuable time together. We exchanged a lot about our culture, tried to speak each other’s language and gently pointed out differences between typical Western versus Eastern behaviours. Hence, we became more understanding and respectful of diversity.

Overall, the time flew so quickly by but the experience has helped me to become more aware of the world’s diversity and thus be more open-minded, able to adapt to various environments and to meet great and interesting people. Most importantly, I learned to step out of my comfort zone and enjoy it. I have the feeling that this was a turning point of my life. I am so thankful to GEI and my international friends for giving me such a great chance to broaden my horizons and create unforgettable memories.

Phuong

GEI’s Consulting Abroad Program in Vietnam

GEI’s Consulting Abroad Program in Vietnam was a life-changing experience. Our assignment to do market research for an IT company was much more than just a project. GEI enabled us to study and practice “design thinking”, a comprehensive and creative approach to identifying and solving business challenges. Working on real problems of a real company helped us to improve many skills, including problem-solving and working in a team. I particularly also enjoyed the social interaction with our new international friends. We were also able to share our culture, food and history, explored temples, museums and flea markets together, and even celebrated the new champions of Vietnamese football. I strongly recommend joining this program!

Phuong

GEI’s Consulting Abroad Program in Vietnam

About Global Engagement Institute

GEI offers high-impact, short-term study abroad and volunteer programs in some of the most engaging destinations in Africa and Southeast Asia.

We are passionate about sustainable development and social justice. And we believe that we can make the...