This 3-week field course in Vietnam is designed to highlight the crucial role of leadership development in the pursuit of social justice and sustainable development. You will be introduced to the social change model of leadership development and explore key concepts of community leadership. You will learn how to better understand yourself as well as others in order to achieve personal empowerment, and you will work with groups of disadvantaged youth in order to develop leadership qualities.
The first week focuses on skills development through classroom learning, workshops, field visits and general cultural immersion. Among others, you will receive leadership training by field experts and volunteer as guest trainers. The second and third weeks then consist of the practical application and multiplication of your new skills through service-learning activities with local host organizations.
Dates: June 16-July 6, 2019
- Participate in leadership training workshops by Vietnamese field experts.
- Volunteer to teach leadership skills to disadvantaged Vietnamese youth.
- Engage in project-based service-learning work with local host organizations.
- Interview Vietnamese youth and create stories relating to a pre-determined theme in order to complete your coursework.
- Explore the ‘Asian Dragon’ through unique excursions and cultural immersion.