Arcadia University- Swansea University

Arcadia University- Swansea University

Swansea University is a friendly university located on the scenic southwest coast of Wales and is recognized for its strengths in American studies, sociology, sustainability, anthropology and math. You will enjoy wonderful seaside environment with a flexible and comprehensive academic program.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: a weekend in Wales, Rochester Christmas Festival, or Windsor Castle Uncovered.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Cultural Studies
English Literature
European Studies
Women's Studies
Letters of Recommendation
See website for details. Scholarships available!

UNCW at Swansea University

My time at Swansea University was amazing. I was able to go through a partnership program with The University of North Carolina Wilmington. The classes I took were wonderful and I learned a lot, and I was easily able to balance academics and the fun of traveling and experiencing a new country.

My biggest complaint during my time abroad was the housing situation. We were placed in a student village that was actively being torn down. Due to the ongoing construction, bus routes were often interrupted and sometimes buses wouldn't pick up from the village at all, and students were often not informed of these changes and therefore missed classes. Additionally, the water would be shut off for long stretches of time - students would live between 5 and 25 hours without running water. Finally, because of the impending tear-down of each building, maintenance wouldn't be done when it was requested. Overall, the living situation was not what I paid for and was overall disappointing.

That being said, Swansea University was a lovely campus full of attentive staff members and a pre-sessional course that provided ample time to get acclimated to the new environment. I would recommend Swansea University to anybody looking to study abroad; just be careful with where you live.

Semester in Swansea

My Swansea experience was absolutely incredible. I lived in the student village with welsh students and it really helped me feel like I was actually a part of the school and the culture. I took two required chemical engineering classes for my major: Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics. While I did make the same mistake that many abroad students have before me by underestimating the weight and difficulty of the final, I felt that I did still get a good understanding of the topics, as I would have at my US university. Additionally, I took a philosophy and a history course due to other home requirements. It was very interesting to see how in the UK they do not cross over into disciplines and those teachers seemed intrigued and glad to have engineers in their classes. Additionally, Swansea University was great about organizing weekend trips for the students and I was glad I was able to take advantage of several of them. Overall, my time in Swansea was amazing and I would love to go back and visit my friends.

The main issue with the program that many of us had was the lack of details prior to arrival. While we had courses approved, we had no idea there times or if we would be able to get into them until about 2 weeks into the program. Additionally, it would have been nice to have someone from the program actually in Swansea- our closest connection after the first month was in London.

About Arcadia University Study Abroad

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of...