EF English First (Franchise Schools) - Teach ESL in China

EF English First (Franchise Schools) - Teach ESL in China

Teaching English in China with EF combines an unforgettable experience with a rewarding job. You can learn Mandarin, travel the country and meet fascinating people. At the same time you'll gain valuable teaching experience abroad in an organization committed to delivering the best English training program to every student. EF gives you the excitement of teaching English in China with the stability of a safe, reliable employer committed to your professional development.

EF's English language schools are spread across China in over 50 cities. Most of EF's English language schools are in China's four major costal cities: Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, so that is where most English teacher jobs are also. Smaller cities have fewer schools with a more local feel.

All of our center locations in China: Baotou, Changchun, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Daqing, Dongquan, Dongying, Guilin, Guiyang, Hanzhoug, Hefei, Hohhot, Huizhou, Jiaxing, Jinhua, Jinzhou, Nangjing, Nanning, Ningbo, Qingdao, Qinhangdao, Rizhao, Rui'an, Shenyang, Shijiazhuang, Suzhou, Taiyuan, Taizhou, Tangshan, Tianjin, Urumuqi, Weihai, Wenzhou, Wuhan, Wuxi, Xiamen, Xi'an, Xiaoshan, Xuzhou, Yantai, Yiwu, Yuhao, Zhangjaigang, Zhengzhou, Zhuhai EF Franchise schools use EF designed materials, but curriculum is independently decided and managed by each individual school.
Asia » China » Shenzhen
Asia » China » Shanghai
Asia » China » Nanjing
Asia » China » Guangzhou
Asia » China » Beijing
Asia » China
Salary / Benefits
Varies on position. Check site for details.
Nanning

• Benefits
  • Facilities

jiaxingteacher
Jiaxing

Teacher welfare is extremely important

I've been working with EF Franchises for nine years now. Originally I worked up North in Harbin for three years and thereafter in Jiaxing for six years. I never once felt the same passion and sense of direction that I've had since working with EF.

Teacher welfare is extremely important. There's one to one support from a mentor that you've allocated just before you join the school. The schools that I've worked in have held at least one workshop every week. We have formal evaluations every three months to give you feedback in detail on key performance areas.

Through EF I met my wife and have been able to settle down, support a family and live a fulfilling work life. I know personally a number of teachers in this school and others who've been with EF for over two years and in some cases six or seven.

If you're starting out and looking to gain time in the class with quality in support, you'd be crazy to go elsewhere. Then, if you're experienced, you're going to be hard pressed to find another organisation pushing itself to thrive at the forefront of the ESL industry.

Chris
Dalian

Solid job with good induction program

I've been with EF for 7 years. During this time, I have worked for three EF Franchise schools in Dalian, Qinhangdao, and Tianjin.

Working for EF is a job. The hours are the same as they would be back home. When a teacher first arrives, they are given an induction that last around 3-4 weeks. This induction helps the teacher to become familiar with EF products, materials, teaching skills, activities, and classroom management. During the second week the new teacher will co-teach, which helps them to become more confident. Usually in the third week, the teacher is given some of their own classes and by the fourth week they would be on a full schedule.

There are two intensive periods that last for a different amount of time depending on which city you work in. The winter one ranges from 2-6 weeks and the summer one ranges from 4-8 weeks.

Overall, I recommend working for EF. It's a company where you can have a career if you choose and it's also a place where you can stay for a year and have a new experience.

Adam
China

Rewarding experience, great community

I taught at an EF franchise school in Zhangjiagang for several years and had a great time. From the first day airport pickup I was made to feel very welcome and the teachers all took me out for dinner on my first night. The local staff arranged all my visa documents and provided me with a Chinese phone and a fully furnished apartment with wi-fi already set up.

I'd not had much experience before coming to EF, but I had plenty of opportunities to observe classes and my workload increased steadily but always with a lot of support from other teachers. They had interactive whiteboards, which made using video and other cool stuff really easy. We had weekly teacher training sessions, were observed regularly, and I had the opportunity to do a TKT certificate while there. The management were supportive and fair. We had a western manager whose door was always open, and the Chinese management generally left him to it.

The city I was in was quite small, but people were friendly - it was a great place to learn Chinese. I had a thoroughly rewarding time there and would recommend it to anyone wanting to experience China.

Not
China

Be careful with EFBe careful with EF

I taught with EF for a year in one of their franchise schools. I can say it was a nightmare. The other staff were heavy drinkers and drug users. Some staff even came to work under the influence, which is completely unprofessional and unacceptable, but nothing was done.
Teaching was pretty much the last thing the school was around for. Our owner was stingy with supplies and only twice during the entire year sponsored an event for teachers. If they didn't need something from you, you were ignored.
This job was a joke to almost the entire staff, incomplete lesson plans and poor performance went unaddressed, and good work was pretty much just ignored.
It was a lonely, scary, depressing, and really awful year.
If I were to go into it again, knowing how the year would turn out, I would leave immediately. I still kick myself for "sticking it out" and "keeping my word", mostly because I was so let down by that empty promise of an enjoyable year.
Teaching there felt like you were trapped. The apartment was nice though, balcony, nice area, the pay wasn't great, and academic support was pretty much non-existent.
The Chinese staff was pretty new every few months, working there was a nightmare for the CC's and PA's as well. One CC told me she would have nightmares about having no students for demos, which happened frequently. Communication between departments was awful, classes were scheduled and the teacher was never notified, or cancelled and no one was informed, sometimes even the parents didn't know what was going on.

EF courses (their materials) are very well done, and I could see EF in a bigger city, with good staff around being a decent place to work, however that was not the case at all.
No way would I recommend that program to anyone. Be careful and do your research.

EF English First is a division of EF Education, the world’s largest language education group and a company with over 40 years of English teaching expertise. EF’s operations span over 50 countries throughout the world with teaching centers in major cities in each continent. Over