Teacher Link's 4 Week Residential Classroom Course (120 hours)

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Teacher Link has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options and/or online programs as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Teacher Link's unique TEFL course fully prepares you for the classroom and helps you build the confidence needed to be an effective teacher. Our intensive four week curriculum focuses on getting you many hours of hands-on teaching experience in addition to acquiring a working knowledge of the different TEFL approaches.

Our teaching practice includes one-on-one sessions with real students, small classes of 4-15 children aged 6-12 or adults, and large classes at poor primary schools in the outskirts of Shanghai with class sizes of up to 50 students. Observed teaching practice is the most important component of the program.

The course results in a notarized and Chinese consulate authenticated certificate. As of July first, 2017 all teachers in China need an authenticated certificate in order to obtain a legal work permit. We can also assist in the authentication of other documents (e.g. diploma).

The total course fee is 1490 USD, including the 590 USD deposit.

TEFL Course Live!

TEFL Course Live - Only $990 USD
Get started on your TEFL course from the comfort of your own home. TEFL Course Live follows the same curriculum as our in-person TEFL course and features our TEFL instructors leading the lessons. Enroll in one of our future cohorts when students return to classes in Thailand / Shanghai.

Hey Peter, Thank you for your message. The degree does not have to be in English. We're happy to have you on one of our next courses!

• Benefits 9.3
  • Facilities 8.9
  • Instruction 9
  • Academic Rigor 7.7
  • Job Assistance 9.5
Rhiannon

Great experience

The experience was unique because it was something I’d never done before and I wasn’t too sure what I was letting myself into! Therefore this was a good oppurtunity to learn something new and see if it was for me. I learnt a lot of new skills and ideas which has really helped with going forward in a job. However, future participants should be aware that although it’s a fairly laid back course with a friendly atmosphere and lots of support there is also quite a lot of work involved in completing the portfolio so time management is key. A useful tip would be that if you’re completely new to teaching like I was, dont be nervous and assume from the start that you will be bad, once you start you completely forget about anyone else in the room that may be observing and realise that it is a lot easier than expected. It was good that we had teaching experience in two different types of schools, one with around 15-20 students in a class and one with around 40 students. This taught us different types of class management which is a necessity in any sized class. Plus it was good to see and experience a different part of Shanghai.

This course could maybe be improved by possibly arranging a ‘team building’/ ‘get to know eachother’ evening the night before. Or maybe a little bit more assistance with accommodation and surrounding areas could have been provided.
Eugenia

Great experience and valuable knowledge

The course is great, both in terms of theory and practice - everything is balanced. You study only necessary and applicable stuff, which you then can integrate straight into your own lessons, that you prepare for Observed Teaching Practice. Everyone was super supportive and answered every question I had, and tried to help in whatever issue I faced.
I am immensely grateful to all the people who I've met from this program - Ginger, Nik, Olivia, Dug - for constructive feedback, loads of ideas on how to make your lesson better and for amazing time in China in general.
Definetly recommend this program to those who wants to try teaching English.

Maybe a bit of psychological basics to be aware of in different age groups.
Aqsa

A positive learning experience

Learned so much about the different teaching styles and how to adapt myself and my lessons to different levels. Had a great time teaching Chinese children and being in Shanghai, even though stepping into a classroom of 40 rowdy students could be very tough! I learned a lot about my personal teaching style and the way the Chinese students learn. The trainers were great fun, really supportive and helpful - not just with teaching but also with getting settled in to a new country. A great experience and had lots of help with my job search. Can't wait to start working.

Teaching a variety of different age groups, such as adults, teenagers and kindergarten students.
James

Recommend - This really sets you up nicely

This generally gave me everything that I needed/was looking for in order to teach in China (Shanghai). I really didn't want to do an online course because that is a common phenomenon, so it offered no competitive edge in the job market. It may have been a cheaper option but you get what you pay for. Actually teaching real children in real schools/centers (having never taught in a classroom before) was sometimes stressful but it was an invaluable experience that was even fun at times! Most importantly, it impressed prospective employers at interview. The people running the show went the extra mile, buying food and drink for us, answering questions and helping us with things that weren't even related to the course material (sometimes at unsociable hours) etc. Coming to China from the UK was really scary and there is so much that you don't even think about so this level of support was beyond useful. The people were just really nice and that is worth a lot. To cap it all off they even sorted out legalizing etc my certificate which is a huge/very expensive pain otherwise.

Keeping on top of students to make sure that every step that needs to be completed is done before the end of the course to stop lots of things pilling up at the end.

Some more teaching of smaller classes with less/more advanced kids would be nice as the teaching mainly involved larger/less advanced classes (a lot of the jobs that students will go on do will involve smaller classes etc).

Linda

Best TEFL I've Taken

This is the second TEFL course I have taken and it is by far the best. Having already been working as an ESL teacher in Shanghai, I wasn't expecting to learn too much but I was pleasantly surprised.
I was able to get invaluable feedback on my teaching practice which has already proven highly beneficial in my job with colleagues noticing an improvement in my teaching style.
The course leaders and are very understanding and willing to give support and guidance where needed but they will give you the freedom to learn from your mistakes.
I could not recommend this course more, especially for someone who is planning to move to Shanghai for the first time, I wish I had taken it when I first made the move.

Richard

Learning to teach in Shanghai

I was very nervous about doing the course. I have been to Shanghai once before but that was for one week. I was not sure how I would do for four weeks. Everyone was helpful when they could help. I had trouble with getting my phone to work and they was able to help me with that. The instructions to get to where to classes were being held was good and they even had pictures of certain parts as you got close to help find it.
The course will start off a little slow but it will speed up fast. That may sound bad but it is a good thing in that you will be busy working on actually teaching students as well. Even if you are scared or unsure teach at least one class. It can be scary but once you try you get a better idea what it is like and you may like it. I was nervous but after my first class I wanted to do it again to get better.
The trainers are helpful and they are friendly. There will be a lot to take in but I think it is worth it and a good experience.

Gloria

You'll really be prepared to teach kids after this

I came into this course with certain expectations that weren't necessarily met. I really wanted to teach adults after completion of this course; however, I do not feel prepared to do so as there weren't many opportunities to practice on adults. If you are looking to teach children, this is the class for you! They really center the course around children, and you'll receive ample opportunity to practice on children.
Although I was disappointed that I didn't get to practice teaching adults very often, I do feel like this course is still very valuable. The teachers here are very knowledgeable about teaching and do prepare you to teach in a lot of different situations. You are also educated on some material you may have never specialized in. I feel like I would be comfortable in a position teaching kids if I applied for a primary school job.
Another plus is that the classes you take here are very fun and engaging!

Just more opportunities to teach adults.
Laura

Teaching Nomad Tefl Course

This course far exceeded any expectations I had. The instructors were knowledgeable, efficient, interesting, and always willing to share practical advice for real life teaching in Chinese schools and language centers. From the very first week of the 4 week course, my fellow classmates and I were immersed in the day to day world of actual classroom teaching, with real live students and typical teaching scenarios. I truly feel ready to teach after this intensive course and the best part is the continued support from Teaching Nomad staff.

I think it is great the way it is!