Projects Abroad volunteer Teaching in Costa Rica

Projects Abroad volunteer Teaching in Costa Rica

Teach English in Costa Rica and help the local children achieve a better future, as knowledge of the English language is highly sought after.
Located between Nicaragua and Panama, Costa Rica is a relatively prosperous Central American country. The country has long been a popular location for North Americans, but with its incredibly varied eco-systems and progressive attitudes to conservation, Costa Rica is also becoming increasingly popular as a global tourist destination.

North America » Costa Rica » Heredia

• Facilities

Jackie
long island, new york

Volunteering in Costa Rica

My trip to Costa Rica was one of the best experiences ever. Before I left I was pretty nervous about a variety of things, however once I got there all my worries went out the window. Between teaching at the school, dance lessons, our weekend excursions and learning so many new things there wasn’t time to worry about anything. Teaching in the school was so rewarding. Being able to help the people in anyway possible was such a great feeling. Walking into the school even on the first day and to see how welcoming everyone was being was an amazing experience. Its a rare experience in America to walk into somewhere and have a genuine welcome. My favorite weekend excursion was our trip to the beach. It was absolutely beautiful; I wish I could have spent more than one day there. I have so many things I wish I could tell you about Costa Rica but you just need to go there and experience it for yourself.

pre-deparutre information could have been better.

Zuleyma
New York

4 Weeks In Costa Rica

I volunteered with Projects Abroad with a position as a teacher in Costa Rica for four weeks. Those four weeks I spent in Costa Rica were remarkable! To elaborate, this trip was the most significant trip I have taken thus far. Spending four weeks in a public school where I had the opportunity to teach English and Math to 3rd, 4th, and 6th graders was an experience that I encourage all future Educators to pursue. Being able to see the difference between the Education system in Costa Rica and the United States, seeing the difference between student’s eagerness in school, and the extracurricular activities offered in the schools was an eye opener.

At my placement in Escuela Cubujuqui I got so much support from the teachers I was working with as well as from the Project’s Abroad Program staff. Whenever I needed something or had questions there was always someone communicating with me in a prompt-timely manner. I also got weekly visit from the Project Abroad Staff at my placement, which I really enjoyed because they were able to address and answer any concerns I had at that moment. Furthermore, the staff always asked me how was everything and if I was enjoying and learning at my placement which showed their concerns about my comfortability and learning.

As for housing accommodations, I was fortunate enough to be hosted by an incredible family who lived in San Joaquin de Flores. My host family was very welcoming and attentive to all of the volunteers. My host family took me out to their dinners, took me to the activities they participated in such as cooking class, bible talk, and hosted a potluck for all of the volunteers in Costa Rica. Living with a host family granted me the opportunity to really learn more about the Costa Rican culture and experience it firsthand.

The program was very expensive and I did not see exactly where all the money was going to. Perhaps provide more of an insight of where the money is going to.

Kassandra
Waterloo, Iowa
University of Northern Iowa

A Lives Endeavor

It is hard to put a price on an experience that will 1) forever change you and 2) continuously help you in life. That is what Projects Abroad gave me. I went to Liberia, Costa Rica when I was 18 years old, I am now 23, and this opportunity has continued to follow me!
The program Projects Abroad was well placed and I was with someone most of the way there. I was picked up at the airport by a staff member and driven to the buss station where I was handed off to a close family friend who would be going the same route as me. Once I arrived in Liberia another representative was at the station to drive me to my host families home. I was able to walk to the school I would work at as well as any stores that I may have wanted to go to.
The teacher I was shadowing would hang out with me and show me around. I also made friends with a local church group in the town square are started spending my free evenings with them once they came to my host family and introduced themselves.
I am now the Child Care Assistant Director at a local YWCA and provide Respite care to children in need in my community and while Projects Abroad may seem unrelated it gave me the chance to hone my skills at adapting to different people and situations both culturally and personally different than myself. To have been able to go to a different country where I didn’t know the language, the exact currency change, or some of the major customs and leave with a deeper understanding of both world that I am both apart of as well as the world I had only read about was a truly life changing experience. I had more growth as a person and human being in two weeks than I ever thought possible. Even now I am able to reflect back on that time and center myself as an adult in this moment. To be able to use a memory from five years ago to help me focus my current ambitions and goals is truly profound.
To anyone who wants a unique, life altering and exhilarating life experience look no further than Projects Abroad.

Life IS what YOU MAKE of it. Make it an experience that will last you a 1,000 life times.

To have been told a little bit more about how I was going to get to Liberia. I was exhausted and then had to take a two hour buss ride to get into the town. This was another awesome experience but was a bit startling at first.

PuraVida
Im in Villanova, PA.
Villanova University

Projects Abroad Costa Rica

The program was amazing, each day was a new learning experience. By the end of my two month stay I felt as part of the community. I would recommend this program to anyone. I was able to get school credit for the spanish classes I took and volunteer hours for the classes I taught. I was even given the opportunity to teach the local police english classes! On the weekends I could travel and even went to other countries such as Nicaragua. The experiences was amazing and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those