Summer Camp Tour - An Unforgettable Working Holiday in Taiwan

Work with Taiwanese children this summer in fun, high-energy, team-oriented, creative environment as a summer camp counselor/teacher.

This true cultural exchange - a working holiday tour of Taiwan where you will stay with four host families in several cities during July and August and have an opportunity to get off the tourist path, experience Taiwanese culture, and forge lifetime friendships as a members of the host families.
Experience working with children is a must. TEFL/TESOL, or teaching experience, or summer camp experience preferred.
Basic in-country food, transportation, and lodging are included; salary 1000USD/mo.

** Due to visa restrictions, this opportunity is only available to applicants with passports from Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand.

• Experience culture first hand living as a member of amazing host families
  • Visit a least 5 cities in Taiwan
  • Explore aboriginal village in Hsinchu city
  • Mid-summer counselor retreat with martial arts, yoga, and massage training @ Serendipity in the Mountain
  • 3 day End-of-Summer good-bye beach party

• Benefits 9.5
  • Facilities 9.5
female playing soccer
Ash

Wonderful experince

Camp Taiwan gave me the ability to experience every day living in Taiwan in a 3 month period to decide if teaching overseas would be a realistic option for me it seemed like a comfy idea. As a post grad teacher I loved the experience and the host families brought me back to my exchange student days during high school. David was a fantastic mentor throughout the whole experience in ensuring the process was run efficiently and smoothly. I was able to be immersed in the culture the 2 week camps in city to city gave me an insight into Taiwan. As we were over staffed their was opportunity to take 2 weeks off to travel and explore Taiwan on my own was an option. I appreciated this time stepping away from the camps and other expats to again see more Taiwan beyond the camp. My recommendations for this camp is to be independent enough to explore Taiwan beyond the camp otherwise you will have limiting knowledge/appreciation.

Bindi

Summer Camp Tour - An Unforgettable Working Holiday

As a director at the camp, it is really different from being a counselor. Even though Taiwan is my country, I still feel like that I had been through a lot of different experience, taking counselors to understand my culture, sometimes they feel odd for the thing that i take it for granted. I love the feeling of "create a camp" our camps are all designed by our self during the pre-camp meeting, from 0 to everything, it is very rewarding after camp!

Hassan

Unforgettable and Amazing Experience!!!

This experience truly stood out from all my other travelling adventures I have taken. At first I couldn't believe I was going to travel across the world and spend nearly 3 months of teaching and travelling. I began my prep to go, sorted out flights and visa etc and it still hadn't sunk in until i got into the airport lounge and it was a huge wave at once. I didn't have a clue what to do once I landed in Taiwan and just thought I can't speak their language, what do i do? All I did was call ECT and they were just waiting outside for me and supported me throughout the rest of the experience. It was like a manner of being lost but someone there just incase you went a bit too far.

I went into this summer with no teaching experience what so ever and was super surprised that they offered me the job. I had to push myself a bit harder because of the lack of experience I had to show I really wanted to do this, the supervisors from ECT helped in such an amazing way and everything came like second nature. The training week at the start was very well organised and great resources to help us get started. When the real work began it was difficult to be prepared, know what to do in tricky situations but there was always help right round the corner. The best thing I found was you have to enjoy yourself too, have fun with the camp, mess around with the kids, and have fun!

We had taught in 4 different schools across the county for 2 week periods. This was amazing to experience all the main cities of Taiwan and the difference between each city, mainly the food. The host families took amazing care of you and catered to your needs so well, its was truly overwhelming how comforting they made you by taking a stranger into their home, sharing stories at dinner time and how are traditions are different. They wanted to learn so much about where I came from. Keeping contact with them is so nice and how they remember you so well, hopefully I get to go back some day and see them all. We got to go out in the evenings and wander around the city with the other counsellors. It was amazing how the friendships made from this experience have came together. Ive made really good friends who are gonna be travelling across the world again just to visit me, also met new friends from the same university as me.

I can honestly say this was an experience of a lifetime and if I could do it again, I wouldn't even need to think. I recommend this to anyone! It really does teach you a lot of yourself and what you are capable of. The ECT team are amazing and i'm still in regular contact with them, it changed to work to great friends. I can't elaborate enough but if you ever get the chance to do this experience, jump for it, enjoy it, capture it and live it!

Nothing
Lovleen

Unbelievable and unforgettable!

Going into this experience, I had traveled to many countries before and had even lived in more than one. However, I had never traveled alone and this to me was a daunting thought- first there was the idea of getting a visa, then booking flights, then travel insurance... it just seemed sort of scary to me. To be fair, for a lot of positions, it could be, but not with ECT. Right from the beginning , I was given step by step instructions, direct links for visa information and my messages and emails answered within minutes. Getting off the flight in Taiwan as well, ECT head staff was there to meet us within an hour of stepping off our flight, took us to dinner and made us feel comfortable both with them and with our co-workers immediately.

The experience:
Host-families: Throughout my time in Taiwan, I stayed with 4 families. Of course, how close you get with each family will vary, but let's just say the range (5 months later) is from us sending each other facebook messages comparing our weather forecasts, all the way to planning their trip to visit me in Canada. With ECT, you will make family on your trip. ECT staff pairs you with families they think you're well matched for and even if you start off with limited things in common, the quality time you spend together will foster an unforgettable bond.

The job: The job is fun... but it is tough. It requires a ton of preparation, physical and mental commitment and a ton of energy. But if you can bring it, the rewards are unimaginable. Let yourself get committed to your lessons, to your final shows that you prepare with your classes. Let yourself take on the pride of having your own class to teach, your own initiative you can take in planning your lessons. If you do this, it's rewarding, not only in the monetary incentives, but the personal growth you receive both as a professional and as a person. Don't forget to have fun with it, the more fun you're having with the kids, the more fun they're having with you!

Lastly, to touch on something I knew would happen, but could never predict the gravity of... the relationships you make with each other. I can honestly say I came out of my ECT experience with a few new best friends. Best friends that I talk to every week, that I'm flying across oceans to go and visit for a week, best friends that I'm planning future trips with. This experience, from day 1 of training , to the very last day, fosters incredible bonds. You walk away with a new relationship with yourself and with others. Get excited, feel inspired... because if you're doing this, it is going to change your world!

About English Camp Taiwan

English Camp Taiwan was established in Taiwan by David Harris, an American who came to Taiwan in 1995 to study Chinese language. Yuanfanglai organizes western-style, short-term activity-oriented summer camps throughout Taiwan during July and August....